Extended Apple Care worth it or not?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As the title says. I am getting ready to order a 24" iMac - first mac ever - and I am wondering if it is worth the money to get the extended apple care dealy

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Worth it, especially with AIO machines.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    That's something you have to decide for yourself. If you never need it then it wasn't worth it. On the other hand, if you do have a major problem you'll definitely be glad that you had it. One nice thing about AppleCare is you can buy it anytime within the one year normal warrenty period.

I'm a long time Mac user and never bothered with AppleCare. However when I bought my TiBook 867 in 2002 I bought AppleCare for the first. I never had a problem with the computer and never used the extended warranty. When I bought my G5 Dual 2.5 in 2004 I purchased AppleCare at the 10 month mark. After 6 month the power supply failed and was replaced under the standard warranty. In July of this year the computer started having major problems. The processors and mother board were replaced under AppleCare. That didn't solve the problem, eventual the computer was declared dead and was replaced with a stock MacPro. None of this cost me anything. I'm definitely going to get AppleCare for the MacPro at some point.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Buy with a credit card that extends the manufacturer’s warranty (usually by a year).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73

That didn't solve the problem, eventual the computer was declared dead and was replaced with a stock MacPro. None of this cost me anything. I'm definitely going to get AppleCare for the MacPro at some point.

Lucky duck!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have owned three Apple machines: PowerBook G4/500, PowerBook G4 1GHz, and iMac G5/2.1GHz. I haven't had any degree of trouble from any of them, and the G4/500 has more or less be used everyday for the past five and a half years.

Some people seem to be either unlucky or generate some sort of disruptive electric field. I'm thinking it's luck, because in truth I seem to generate a rather odd electric field which my friend and I measured back in college. If you consider yourself unlucky, get Applecare.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    For me yes. My Apple Care expires this October. My G4 Powerbook has white spots and uneven backlighting. I'll be getting a new screen before it expires. 8)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    I think thats what Im gonna do - buy the computer now and then buy the extended warranty just before the 1 year is over

Thanks guys!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I?m a huge fan of extended warranties for computers.

My last computer was an Acer Tablet PC, with their three year extended warranty plan, I got in July 2004 and still use. The ?main board? has been replaced three times already ? I?m not kidding. The front cover has been replaced, the HD is on #4 or #5, and it?s been shipped to Texas at least 6 times (two times overnight). Oh, and two 512 MB memory sticks have been replaced. I?m sure the shipping cost alone has cost Acer more then the warranty cost me.

I would have liked better reliability ? that is why I?m now in the transition to Macs.

However, the point is still valid ? if you are a ?power user?, like I am with my computer, then by all means get it.