Analyst rumor: Adobe to launch Creative Suite 3 in May

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe Systems is likely to launch its much-awaited Creative Suite 3.0 software bundle in May of 2007, one analyst says.

In a report on Investor.com, Global Crown Capital analyst Martin Pyykkonen said his research points in the direction of a May 1, 2007 release.

The analyst noted that executives for the San Jose, Calif.-based Adobe have been guiding analysts lower in their financial targets prior to that date -- suggesting a release before then would be unlikely.

Creative Suite 3.0, code-named "Red Pill," is one of the most highly anticipated releases for Apple's Mac community in recent years, as it will be the first version of the software bundle -- which includes essentials such as Photoshop and Illustrator -- to run natively on the company's new line of Intel Macs.

The new bundle will also mark the integration of Macromedia technologies that were recently acquired by Adobe, including Flash, for delivering multimedia content online, and Dreamweaver, for interactive Web design.

According to Jefferies & Co. analyst Ross MacMillan, who was also quoted in the Investor.com report, only about 20 percent of Adobe's total revenue comes from the Macintosh platform. He said the rest comes from software for Microsoft's Windows operating system. However, MacMillan noted that the Mac may account for 40 percent of Adobe's creative solution segment.

Leading up to September, Adobe's creative solution business unit accounted for 56 percent of total sales, while its knowledge worker solution unit, which includes Acrobat, was the second largest contributor, making up 26 percent of sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    How obvious.

"Creative Suite 3.0, code-named "Red Pill""

And May 1 is "International Labor Day, a favorite of the Communists.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    "MacMillan noted that the Mac may account for 40 percent of Adobe's creative solution segment."

Interesting, I would have thought that Macs would still be higher... Guess I misjudged the malevolent spread of Windows into the "creative" space.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Stupid question, is Acrobat 8 (due November) universal?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

"MacMillan noted that the Mac may account for 40 percent of Adobe's creative solution segment."

Interesting, I would have thought that Macs would still be higher... Guess I misjudged the malevolent spread of Windows into the "creative" space.

Don't forget that Premiere, Audition and Encore DVD are all Windows only.

Also one of their other big sellers are Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Photo Album, and Premiere Elements.

Photoshop Elements is available for the Mac but most folks opt for iPhoto or Photoshop and there is very little in-between.

Photo Album is Adobe's equivalent to iPhoto for Windows.

Premiere Elements is Adobe's equivalent to iMovie for Windows.

Also, many products acquired from Macromedia are also Windows only(Cold Fusion, Authorware).
  • Reply 5 of 48
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

How obvious.

I inferred it referred to The Matrix.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Well there it is.

If anyone wants to launch a Photoshop competitor, MWSF will be the absolute best time to do so in years.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    What the f is taking so long?!
  • Reply 8 of 48
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    So, if Encore DVD isn't made for Mac, who can point me in the direction of a powerful yet intuitive DVD authoring program?

My favorite one for Windows was called DVD Lab-as powerful as Encore for a small fraction of the price ($80 when I bought it)
  • Reply 9 of 48
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

How obvious.

Idiot.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Although Universal Binary is the most important "feature", integration of the "best of Macromedia Studio and Adobe Creative Suite" is equally important, especially to Adobe. Recent Adobe CS releases have been relatively boring and this integration, coupled with Universal Binary, should make CS3 one of the best selling Mac CS yet. I assume CS3 will include Adobe's Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, along with Macromedia's Flash and Dreamweaver. Perhaps Macromedia's Photoshop Lightroom on the Premium version?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB

I inferred it referred to The Matrix.

Idiot! That was from Alice in Wonderland way before Keanu was a wet dream.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

So, if Encore DVD isn't made for Mac, who can point me in the direction of a powerful yet intuitive DVD authoring program?

My favorite one for Windows was called DVD Lab-as powerful as Encore for a small fraction of the price ($80 when I bought it)

Since Encore DVD is pretty much a lame clone of DVD Studio Pro, that's where you should look at. As for $80, maybe a used copy of DVDSP will do, or iDVD.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I wonder what sort of DRM they are putting on this release?

Probably have to send a DNA sample, encoded through a kryptonic supliferous sproket inversion gizmondo doo dad...

... and thats just to register, I won't even get started on what it will take to get to the Authorization area... and then the Serial number... oh... and then the Activation... and who knows what after that.

So after a few months, you can use the software you bought (or am i thinking of Quark?)
  • Reply 14 of 48
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts

Idiot! That was from Alice in Wonderland way before Keanu was a wet dream.

Funny: I didn't realise that Alice takes a red-pill before entering Wonderland in the Lewis Carol tale. It has been years since I read the story, so perhaps I'm simply forgetting this point.

I don't know that "red pill" can possibly allude to Carol's tale if there is no red pill in that story. However, as scottiB pointed out, this is a plot device in the Matrix. Perhaps you might want to peer into the looking-glass when you call people idiots.

I will of course accept your judgements if there actually is a red pill featured somewhere in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (because, as I've said, I may simply have forgotten the presence of such a pill).
  • Reply 15 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill

Quote:

The use of a red pill is an allusion to the use a similar device in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The Matrix movies commonly use references from this other work of fiction. For instance, when Morpheus offers the red pill to Neo, he says that by taking the red pill, he would show Neo "how deep the rabbit hole goes."

• Reply 16 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    May goddamnit that's a long time, I was shooting for March.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Well, this is interesting.

I do find it hard to believe, though, that Adobe would just surrender Photoshop's market to Apple.

Could you imagine what would happen to Adobe's stock if that happened?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt

Perhaps Macromedia's Photoshop Lightroom on the Premium version?

Lightroom is an Adobe creation.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    As a PC user who will be crossing over as soon as OSX 10.5 arrives, I would prefer that Adobe get it right with the integration of Macromedia products. Some of the articles that I have read have shown that the "new" Adobe team members have added substantial improvements to interfaces and functionality.

Until they get it right, I can use Leopard's boot camp and WinXP for all my Adobe apps. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Leopard and CS3 arrived simultaneously and sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

only about 20 percent of Adobe's total revenue comes from the Macintosh platform.

That's really good. For some perspective Mac's account for about 4% of the US computer market while Windows accounts for 90% of the worlds computer market.

Quote:

MacMillan noted that the Mac may account for 40 percent of Adobe's creative solution segment

Apple retaining 40% revenue for a professional multi-platform software is really impressive.

Quote:

Also the fact that when Apple was dying many people were jumping ship.