g3 ibook won't connect to wifi network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My roommates and I just setup a wireless network using a linksys router. All the computers connect to it fine except for my ibook. When I type in the password for the network it keeps telling me wrong password. My imac connects just fine.

The linksys router is set to mixed signal B and G.

Also before password protecting it the ibook connected to the network just fine.

Anyone have any ideas on how to trouble shoot this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Did you update to 10.4.8? I did and it seems my wireless network drops out after 80% use and everything resets. This new problem is frustrating but I don't know if it is my Mac or the wireless hub. (I've had problems with the hub before.)

EDIT: Ebby, you dumbass! Actually READ the frick'in problem!

Sometimes hex passwords need a "$"preceding everything. I know, dumb but it is a common problem.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

Did you update to 10.4.8? I did and it seems my wireless network drops out after 80% use and everything resets. This new problem is frustrating but I don't know if it is my Mac or the wireless hub. (I've had problems with the hub before.)

EDIT: Ebby, you dumbass! Actually READ the frick'in problem!

Sometimes hex passwords need a "$"preceding everything. I know, dumb but it is a common problem.

???

I'm still on 10.2.8 on the ibook. I just haven't been willing to spend the money on a new OS yet.

So do you mean "$" before the password or "$" before each char. in the password? The router is set to use WP encryption, whatever that is.

Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I think Ebby is saying that you have to put a '$' in front of the first character of the password like:

$123D0924A22146
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scout7id

I think Ebby is saying that you have to put a '$' in front of the first character of the password like:

$123D0924A22146

I'll try that at lunch. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LiquidR

I'll try that at lunch. Thanks.

Didn't work.

The only things I can think is that either OS 10.2.8 can't handle the level of encryption or the Airport card can't. I'll try a lower level of encryption later.

Anyone have any other ideas besides lowering the level of security encryption?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Found out what is going on 10.2.8 and before won't support WPA. I've got to have at least 10.3
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    whoa. never would have guessed. Maybe I was thinking WEP. (that is what I use at home)