PB w/ Combo or SuperDrive?...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I would like to ask your opinion on the following:

I'm getting close to purchasing a new Powerbook, but I'm not sure which optical drive to get. As we all know the Combo drive doesn't burn DVD's, but what not everybody knows is that it burns CD's faster than the Super. Also I already own an iMac with SuperDrive, which I'm not looking to get rid of any time soon.

The choice seems to be clear at first glance: get the faster combo drive since I already have a (faster) superdrive on my iMac. But I just want to make sure I'm looking at it from every angle.

I'll be very grateful for any comments on this...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    i'd go for the combo drive if i were you. i ended up buying the superdrive model just for the hell of it, but i have an external burner as well for dvd's. but you might as well save the money.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think portable DVD-r has reached a tolerable speed yet. Not Apple's fault, 1X is as good as you're going to get from anyone, it's just rather slow. Save the money. CDrw, IMHO, is good enough for sharing the odd file with PC users, "sneakernet" etc etc...

PS, I'm interested to know whether the DVD-r in the Powerbook is really a DVD-rw, similarly to the situation with the desktop drives, or if its strictly a DVD-r.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by admactanium:

<strong>i'd go for the combo drive if i were you. i ended up buying the superdrive model just for the hell of it, but i have an external burner as well for dvd's. but you might as well save the money.</strong><hr></blockquote>

my thanks to both, by the way: how much did you pay for your external DVD burner?