PCMCIA Firewire and Powerbook G3 (bronze)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been doing lots of work on my Powerbook G3 400mhz (bronze kb). So far I have updated the system to 10.2.2, increased the RAM to 512mb and installed a 40gig harddrive. My goal has been to use my computer as a storage spot for all my music. While uploading cds I've realized that my CD-Rom (removable drive) is perilously slow. It rips at about 1.2x speed.

I am wondering about three things... the first, if I were to get a firewire PCMCIA card with firewire (which I intend to do one day for an iPod) will I notice a significant ripping speed with the 24x24x40x cd-rw drive I have for my powerbook G4?

Second, Does an external firewire CD-Rom exist?

Third, can someone recommend a good/solid/reliable Firewire PCMCIA card?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks, I like the price on the firewire card... but alas there is no straight up external firewire cd-rom drive on this link(I already have a burner)... tell me... does one exist?

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Raremar:

<strong>Thanks, I like the price on the firewire card... but alas there is no straight up external firewire cd-rom drive on this link(I already have a burner)... tell me... does one exist?

Cheers</strong><hr></blockquote>

what is the difference? just get the cheapest CDRW (or DVD rom) that you can find.. it will do the same function, so who cares?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Raremar:

Thanks, I like the price on the firewire card... but alas there is no straight up external firewire cd-rom drive on this link(I already have a burner)... tell me... does one exist?

Cheers<hr></blockquote>

I figured you would like that price, it's what I paid for a newer-2-go card when I had the same PowerBook.

for a cheaper CD-RW or maybe even a CD-ROM, check FireWiredirect.com or firewiredepot.com
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for your help...

The only reason i was thinking CD-ROM was for the price. I was thinking that a cd-rom drive should be very very cheap and these days very fast.

By the way, I dont think a straight firwire cd-rom (external) exists.