Bootcamp / Windoze woes

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have had an extremely difficult time trying to get winblows to work on my Mac Pro. My system set-up is:

- 2.66 GHz Mac Pro

- X1900 XT

- 1 GB Ram

- 2 300 GB HDs (Stripped RAID, Mac)

- 1 160 GB Hd (Winshit)

First off, Bootcamp refuses to work on my Mac, i think this is because my Mac partition is a stripped RAID. Not even sure if I need bootcamp if I am install Wincrap on another drive, anyways.

So I pulled out my Mac drives, and put in the Windoze CD. It boots up and does its thing, then when I get to the graphical part of the install, it is in shitty 4-bit colour. I continue with the install, hoping I can change this when I boot up XP, no such luck.

So I tried to boot up into OSX, but all I got after 5 minutes of waiting is a folder with a question mark. I opened up the computer and pushed the eject button on the CD drive, and put in my Install disk. Then the Mac OS booted up.

I erase the wincrap disk, and decide I will try Vista Beta 2, so I put in the DVD, and boot up. I get to the partition selection screen, and it tells me my hardware may not support it and it refuses to install. All of this was again in 4-bit colour.

I also tried installing parallels. I set up my VM, licensed the software, put in my XP disk, but when I pressed the green 'play' button, I got a kernel panic, after a reboot, the same thing happens.

So right now I have no way of installing windcrap, and am exhausted. I have no clue what I am doing wrong, or why I get such horrible coour.

Any help is appreciated,

Noah

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93

I also tried installing parallels. I set up my VM, licensed the software, put in my XP disk, but when I pressed the green 'play' button, I got a kernel panic, after a reboot, the same thing happens.

I don't know about the Bootcamp stuff but on the subject of Parallels, do you have the latest RC2 update? The main Parallels download is an older one that causes kernel panics on iMacs and Mac Pros.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quick question, it is Windows XP SP2 right?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    make sure you download RC2 of parallels for the mac pro. its the only one that will work:

http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/update/

if you have XP SP2 (required) and want to install boot camp. Do this:

make sure you have ALL OS X updates before continuing.

download the latest boot camp:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

make sure you burn the drivers CD...hopefully it has your video card support.

try installing windows to a USB drive since it is now 'supported' rather than your internal drives.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Thanks for the RC2 info, I'll try that. And yes, I do have SP2. I'll run SU and redownload bc, maybeit'll help.

Thanks,

Noah
  • Reply 5 of 5
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Okay, I just upgraded to 10.4.8, and so far BootCamp refuses to start, and I am pretty sure it is because my start-up disk is a stripped raid.

I will try Parallels soon, but is there anything I need from BootCamp aside from the drivers CD?

Is there anything else I should know before venturing off to install windows on my Mac Pro?

Thanks guys,

Noah