iSight Pro.... possible?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm an optimist without an iSight or an IR sensor...

My feeling is that Apple should release a product called the iSight Pro. It would come with the next generation of displays, so that it would be optional... this would leave the door open for professionals who use Pro macs at work and aren't allowed to have cameras. It would also be available as a standalone accessory (with or without Apple Remote bundled) with a disc that includes an installer for Front Row and Photobooth, and this would cost $60-80. It would most likely be USB, and smaller than the current external iSight.

I know this has been discussed in other forums, but not specifically. Anyone else interested in this type of product?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    So far, you haven't described how this is any better than the current external iSight, aside from being smaller.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Obviously, it has an IR sensor, so that the Mac Pro and other macs can use the Apple Remote with front row and the like. The new Mac Pro was built without an IR sensor, which pretty much comes standard on just about every other mac built currently. Why would Apple cripple its flagship computer? I'm thinking they're going to do something about it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    It was built without an IR sensor because professionals would have no real use for it. It's for the Apple Remote. Something they'd never use.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Considering PhotoBooth and FrontRow are going to be built into the next version of OSX, it would be stupid of Apple to have non-fuctional/semi-functional applications on their entire Mac Pro line of computers.

I'd say an updated iSight with IR sensor (or similar device) is pretty much set in stone.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan

It was built without an IR sensor because professionals would have no real use for it. It's for the Apple Remote. Something they'd never use.

smashbrosfan: Why include an iSight, IR sensor or an Apple Remote with the MacBook Pro then? Do mobile professionals have more of a use for Front Row and Photobooth? If anything, it's a ton more weird to use a remote control with a notebook than with a Mac Pro... you've got the thing on your lap anyway, so why use a remote?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13

smashbrosfan: Why include an iSight, IR sensor or an Apple Remote with the MacBook Pro then? Do mobile professionals have more of a use for Front Row and Photobooth? If anything, it's a ton more weird to use a remote control with a notebook than with a Mac Pro... you've got the thing on your lap anyway, so why use a remote?

That is a good point.

I too question the idea of putting an IR sensor on the laptops and not on the Mac Pro. For fuck's sake, I know most 'pros' wouldn't use Front Row but it makes a ton more sense to stick this functionality on a desktop computer than on a laptop with a tiny screen that will be sitting on ones laps 95% of the time.

What is an IR sensor to the overall cost of the Mac Pro? Nothin'. Why did Apple not include IR on the Mac Pro? No good reason. Apple just wants Mac Pro users to shell out on a future Apple display or iSight with integrated IR...

I'll also bet my house that a display or iSight with IR will come out soon.

edit: although I believe Leopard's iChat will work with web cams other than iSight...which may be a sign that iSights are going the way of the dodo.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Could Apple put an ir sensor behind a translucent Apple logo?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The notebooks use it because you can deliever keynote presentations.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan

However, a lot of non-pro users but them because Apple doesn't offer anything between the Mac pro and the Mini that isn't an all in one. Despite being an workstation, it's also Apple's only true desktop.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Since they've gotten the built-in iSights to be small enough to fit inside of a .5 cm display housing, I'd be willing to bet they could make a next gen iSight just a bit bigger than the new iPod shuffle. Though I doubt they'd actually do that. Arrg.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    i think there more likely to either incorporate them into the apple displays, including an IR sensor, and remake the existing one about half as big, also incorporating an IR sensor. i think they would lower the price a bit as well, considering what they have done with the ipods/imacs/mac pro's and the rest of it.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13

Obviously, it has an IR sensor, so that the Mac Pro and other macs can use the Apple Remote with front row and the like. The new Mac Pro was built without an IR sensor, which pretty much comes standard on just about every other mac built currently. Why would Apple cripple its flagship computer? I'm thinking they're going to do something about it.

That camera you guys are talking about, for the MacPro will be built in to the new Cinema Displays. The new displays will have an IR too. The reason there's no IR on the MacPro is some people like to hide away their MacPro, so.

This iSight Pro stanalone thing, I was posting on this three months ago. I sent in in feedback to Apple about 5 months ago, but I believe they are working on it, not for Mac Pro users, but for users of older Mac's that will buy leopard.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I too question the idea of putting an IR sensor on the laptops and not on the Mac Pro. For fuck's sake, I know most 'pros' wouldn't use Front Row but it makes a ton more sense to stick this functionality on a desktop computer than on a laptop with a tiny screen that will be sitting on ones laps 95% of the time.

For one laptops outsell desktops by a wide margin.

For two I'm sure Mac Book Pro is selling in markets that are not very likely by a Mac Pro.

For three you would have to have the Mac Pro in a place where the remote can see it. Towers are often put away.

You can also buy an IR receiver to place where ever you want.

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    i want a 1080p sensor!