New iPod in October

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

Funny I don't recall saying anything about you. I wonder why you thought it applied to you? Let me go look through your other posts...

Well, lets see, almost everything is about how great Zune is. Why would you post this on an Apple "fanboy" site? None of us will even be able to use Zune. Or are you supposed to convert us to Windows also? Go ask Ballmer for further instructions. In the meantime may I suggest posting at http://www.zunescene.com/forums/

You might also want to look for a GIF that gives me the finger.

1. I was going to use the one that flips you off, but I changed my mind, mine was much nicer.

2. I came here to talk about the new nanos/imacs/macbooks, but then was appalled at the amount of misinformation and bashing that was going on. So someone had to be the devil's advocate.

3. I am trying to get a Mac, I definately wouldn't suggest windows to anyone unless they have to use it for work or school or something. ( even then I would suggest getting a mac so they could have both OSes )

4. watch the dancing bananna.

edit: oh and I have nothing wrong with that guy's article, they are all opinions based on actual facts rather than some of the posts I see on these forums. ( cept maybe the one bout it being brown,that was all opinion, but that dog was too funny )
  • Reply 82 of 105
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

promotional means you don't get to keep the songs your friend sends you. You can share any song/picture/video you have, but your friend can only keep them for 3 days or 3 plays. ( except for pictures I think those can be kept indefinately.

Do you have a link that makes that explicit? "Promotional" would be a very odd word to describe music that you voluntarily share with your friends, and the way it is phrased in the info I have seen is something to the effect of "you can share promotional songs with your friends".

Now you're saying the the songs become "promotional" by the fact of being shared, which actually doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 83 of 105
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Record companies may decide to offer promotional songs, or not. It is up to them. You will not be allowed to share any purchased songs that are not designated as promotional. Songs which have no DRM are sharable, I think, but even if you share recordings of your own band, Zune inserts DRM and they expire after 3 plays/3 days. For those who think wireless sharing is so great, need I remind you that iTunes has offered sharing, albeit a different model, for quite some time. You can share songs with others in your apartment building, dorm, etc.. Funny that feature is rarely used.
  • Reply 84 of 105
    After watching the dancing banana for a while, my eyes are getting heavyyyyyy. Microsoft is goooood. Zune is just as exciting as Origamiiiiii. Maybe I will buy a Zuneeeeee. Steve Ballmer is good looking and not as much of an a-hole as I used to think he wasssss. He's actually not fat at allllllll. Watch the dancing bananaaaaaaaaaa............(murk passes out on keyboard)
  • Reply 85 of 105
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
  • Reply 86 of 105
    Quote:

Record companies may decide to offer promotional songs, or not. It is up to them. You will not be allowed to share any purchased songs that are not designated as promotional. Songs which have no DRM are sharable, I think, but even if you share recordings of your own band, Zune inserts DRM and they expire after 3 plays/3 days. For those who think wireless sharing is so great, need I remind you that iTunes has offered sharing, albeit a different model, for quite some time. You can share songs with others in your apartment building, dorm, etc.. Funny that feature is rarely used.

that is what the mean by promotional ( temporary, trial copies )

you can share any] song in your library, drmed or not, but it will be marked when you transfer it to a friend so they can only play it for 3 days/3 plays.

see that is exactly what I mean about misinformation, i don't know why people thought that, when many sites ( gizmodo, engadget, zuneinsider ) state the sharing features/limitations.
  • Reply 87 of 105
    Quote:

After watching the dancing banana for a while, my eyes are getting heavyyyyyy. Microsoft is goooood. Zune is just as exciting as Origamiiiiii. Maybe I will buy a Zuneeeeee. Steve Ballmer is good looking and not as much of an a-hole as I used to think he wasssss. He's actually not fat at allllllll. Watch the dancing bananaaaaaaaaaa............(murk passes out on keyboard)

oh man! gotta revert him. stare at the apple until you see the white light.

• Reply 88 of 105
    What happened? I haven't slept like that in ages. Even though I'm still groggy from the brainwashing I'm pretty sure you're wrong Woody. Record companies can opt out of sharing if they want. Maybe they will, maybe they will not. I wouldn't bet on it, though. It's just too easy to record one of those 3 plays for the record companies to be too comfy with it. If there are only a few singles that are allowed to be shared, would that be a deal breaker, Woodman? Or is it your friends' stolen music, I mean ripped from CD music, you covet to own for 3 plays? Of course one cool thing Zune's sharing feature might allow you to do is make fun of someone else's musical tastes. It's a lot of fun until it bites you in the ass.
  • Reply 89 of 105
    Brown is beautiful. http://www.zunester.com/uploaded_ima...-01-766610.jpg Packing this thing, Woody is finally going to be the cool kid.

MS' design team, aka as Steve Ballmer's retarded nephew, is ready to take on Jonathan Ive. It's just pathetic. They even took some of the cool away from the original Gigabeat. http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/gigabe...ges/f_home.jpg Love the chromed plastic highlights. The green that shows up around the edges and as smudges along the seam... well, that's a feature. It's MS' halo effect according to zunester.com.

PS- The MS employee who took the photo explains that it looks bad because he took it in sunlight. It's not a good idea to expose the Zune to sunlight. Not only does it make it clear what a piece of crap it is, it also may cause the metallic coating to peel off. Perhaps the best way to protect your Zune from prying eyes, and the degradation of sunlight is to keep it in an iPod Sock. Can't wait to see the Zocks that MS comes up with.

Corrected a typo. Thanks, Woody!
  • Reply 90 of 105
    Quote:

What happened? I haven't slept like that in ages. Even though I'm still groggy from the brainwashing I'm pretty sure you're wrong Woody. Record companies can opt out of sharing if they want. Maybe they will, maybe they will not. I wouldn't bet on it, though. It's just too easy to record one of those 3 plays for the record companies to be too comfy with it. If there are only a few singles that are allowed to be shared, would that be a deal breaker, Woodman? Or is it your friends' stolen music, I mean ripped from CD music, you covet to own for 3 plays? Of course one cool thing Zune's sharing feature might allow you to do is make fun of someone else's musical tastes. It's a lot of fun until it bites you in the ass.

" You can share full length sample tracks - your favorite song, your own recordings, playlists, or pictures with friends wirelessly - device to device. Once someone sends you the song, then you can listen to it up to three times in three days. If you like a song you hear and want to buy it, you can flag it right on your device to easily find it later. "
  • Reply 91 of 105
    Quote:

Brown is beautiful. http://www.zunester.com/uploaded_ima...-01-766610.jpg Packing this thing, Woody is finally going to be the cool kid.

MS' desing team, aka as Steve Ballmer's retarded nephew, is ready to take on Jonathan Ive. It's just pathetic. They even took some of the cool away from the original Gigabeat. http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/gigabe...ges/f_home.jpg Love the chromed plastic highlights. The green that shows up around the edges and as smudges along the seam... well, that's a feature. It's MS' halo effect according to zunester.com.

PS- The MS employee who took the photo explains that it looks bad because he took it in sunlight. It's not a good idea to expose the Zune to sunlight. Not only does it make it clear what a piece of crap it is, it also may cause the metallic coating to peel off. Perhaps the best way to protect your Zune from prying eyes, and the degradation of sunlight is to keep it in an iPod Sock. Can't wait to see the Zocks that MS comes up with.

1. I am probably getting the white one to match my 360.

2. Why do you insult people? and why can't you spell designing?

3. That is the old one, the zune is based on the S series. But yeah I liked Zune prototype better.

4. I think socks would be a cool idea, I used to use one of my sunglass socks for my DS lite.
  • Reply 92 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

" You can share full length sample tracks - your favorite song, your own recordings, playlists, or pictures with friends wirelessly - device to device. Once someone sends you the song, then you can listen to it up to three times in three days. If you like a song you hear and want to buy it, you can flag it right on your device to easily find it later. "

What exactly are "sample tracks"? Sounds like certain songs that record companies pick to me.
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:

What exactly are "sample tracks"? Sounds like certain songs that record companies pick to me.

OMG..... are you serious?

no, if I want a sampling of your cake, I want you to share a piece of it with me. It doesn't matter what it is ( as the quote says it can even be your own recordings, etc. ) as long as you want to share it with me, I can have it for 3 plays/3days.
  • Reply 94 of 105
    Why not just say you can share any song? I guess we will both find out when it actually ships.

If the recording industry went along with the scenario you describe, Apple should push them to allow all existing iPods to share via a cable. In a few seconds you could "sample" your friend's entire library. Changes in the iPod software would let the shared songs play for 4 days/6 plays. Luckily there would be no way to upload the non-DRM songs to your computer. Oh, and put some flashing LEDs in the cable that show the direction the songs are traveling. If self-destructing songs are what everyone wants, why not offer full length samples from the iTunes store that play 3 times and then break. You could even send those to your friends over the internet. I don't think Zune will be a great success, but it will open a can of worms the RIA will regret.
  • Reply 95 of 105
    Quote:

Why not just say you can share any song? I guess we will both find out when it actually ships.

If the recording industry went along with the scenario you describe, Apple should push them to allow all existing iPods to share via a cable. In a few seconds you could "sample" your friend's entire library. Changes in the iPod software would let the shared songs play for 4 days/6 plays. Luckily there would be no way to upload the non-DRM songs to your computer. Oh, and put some flashing LEDs in the cable that show the direction the songs are traveling. If self-destructing songs are what everyone wants, why not offer full length samples from the iTunes store that play 3 times and then break. You could even send those to your friends over the internet. I don't think Zune will be a great success, but it will open a can of worms the RIA will regret.

because when people hear they can share songs, they think of pirating, keeping the songs. Promotional implies limited time.
  • Reply 96 of 105
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Hate to say I told you so but... only a few hours left in October here.

Give it another 6 months I say.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    for me the real deadine will be in a week or so. If the video ipod is really coming it will be announce in a special event. So maybe with a week or two in advance to present one of those invitations Apple send to the media. so it will happen in the same week of the Zune and before Thanksgiving.

But I agree, it seems very hard to believe will happen. too bad. I would love one now.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

for me the real deadine will be in a week or so. If the video ipod is really coming it will be announce in a special event. So maybe with a week or two in advance to present one of those invitations Apple send to the media. so it will happen in the same week of the Zune and before Thanksgiving.

But I agree, it seems very hard to believe will happen. too bad. I would love one now.

yeh, i think anouncing it the day before the zune would be a master stroke, so to speak.

oh yeh shit i forgot thats only in a few days time, hahahahahaha, damn. cant wait

this time next month is going to be hilarious/interesting.

hang on, 14th november, thats on a tuesday, thats when apple releases stuff!! hmmm, now microsoft have to copy apple on the day they release stuff as well, haha, silly microsoft... they need help.

so, whats going to happen then? monday announcment? wednesday anouncement?
  • Reply 99 of 105
    Guys, you're forgetting that when Jobs presented the new iPods back in September he said "and that completes the iPod line for this holiday season" or something to that effect. Expect nothing until next year. Apple has it's hands full preparing for new chip releases, the iTV, etc... Anything new before Macworld would be a huge surprise.
  • Reply 100 of 105
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    if he said that then it's over. Maybe at MWSF.

I do not recall anything like that and I watched the keynote couple times.

Sorry, I have hard time believing that.