Microsoft says Zune to sell for $249

Comments

• Reply 141 of 174
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

No need to kid. If the brown one isn't the worst selling of the three, you probably do deserve an apology. It's just rather unlikely

Indeed. There must be a reason Microsoft decided on it. Is there some large region of the world where brown is a highly popular colour for things like this? Why did Microsoft go with brown? Just to be different? If so, there are plenty of other colours it could have chosen and still have been different. I don't know what's going on.

My theory on this (and it fits perfectly with Microsoft's decades-old Apple-copying ways): MS went with brown because they wanted to duplicate the tremendous success Apple's had with black. Remember how well the black first-generation Nanos were received? It was huge. And black has been popular on the full-size iPods and MacBooks as well.

So MS, being MS, says to themselves: "Wow, Apple sure has something there with black. Let's copy them. But we can't just push black, Apple's already cornered that. I know! We'll push BROWN! BROWN is the NEW BLACK!"

And since everyone at Microsoft has lousy taste, they all went "Yay!' and now we'll have brown Zunes to point and laugh at for many months to come, until MS finally figures out how lame it is. 8)
  • Reply 142 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    The weirdest shit about this Brown nonsense is that MS, with all its resources, could have (would have?) done tons of research, in marketing, focus groups (yes some of that is problematic but anyway) and speaking to well known "color consultants" (yes, they're the ones that tell you what-color-is-the-new- black [or whatever the pervious cool color was]).

I apologise if I have gone out and ridiculed people about their liking of the Brown Zune. Whatever gets you off, it's cool by me. (Though there is some stuff on the intarweb that has permanently scarred my pysche). Also playing F.E.A.R. was hella freaky... But um... colors and what mp3 player you use, more power to you*. Personally, I have no idea what the Brown Zune is about and what "wow" factor MS is trying to pull off. Same question like what the HELL IS GOING ON WITH VISTA?

*Choosing the Mac and the iPod ecosystem comes with certain... responsibilities. Take it or not, at your own risk, I shall say. Heh.
  • Reply 143 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

So MS, being MS, says to themselves: "Wow, Apple sure has something there with black. Let's copy them. But we can't just push black, Apple's already cornered that. I know! We'll push BROWN! BROWN is the NEW BLACK!"

The funniest thing about this is that this is probably EXACTLY what happened in some "brainstorming room" (a boring conference room with like a few squishy desk-accessory* type things) in Redmond.

*Yes I can confirm this was the squishy desk accessory in the "brainstorming room" when they had the ray of light, er... ray of brown...

• Reply 144 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

well no kidding. that really is what they are thinking. I saw some CBS streaming video online where MS's marketing guy actually said something along the lines of "brown is the new black"

I'll see if i can find the link.
  • Reply 145 of 174
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

I saw some CBS streaming video online where MS's marketing guy actually said something along the lines of "brown is the new black"

Even if I were willing to buy that, it would have to be some other brown, not "Zune brown". If Domo-kun turned Zune brown, I 'd suspect he was gravely ill.
  • Reply 147 of 174
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

well no kidding. that really is what they are thinking. I saw some CBS streaming video online where MS's marketing guy actually said something along the lines of "brown is the new black"

I'll see if i can find the link.

LOL! That's f-ing hilarious, considering I had never seen that video.

Microsoft... I know their suckage all too well.

Too bad for them that "brown is actually the new crap."
  • Reply 148 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

Even if I were willing to buy that, it would have to be some other brown, not "Zune brown". If Domo-kun turned Zune brown, I 'd suspect he was gravely ill.

I believe the MS guy said that Brown was the new Black and the new White. This guy looked and acted like a very desperate sales guy that did nothing but compare it to the ipod.
  • Reply 149 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

The funniest thing about this is that this is probably EXACTLY what happened in some "brainstorming room" (a boring conference room with like a few squishy desk-accessory* type things) in Redmond.

*Yes I can confirm this was the squishy desk accessory in the "brainstorming room" when they had the ray of light, er... ray of brown...

You know, if the Zune actually looked like this squishy thing, I might have considered buying one.
  • Reply 150 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Did you even read my post? It's a crap color, and if apple released it, we'd still be saying it's a crap color. "Mac Zealots" is just a weak excuse used by those who can't support their argument.

Who specifically are you accusing of being mac zealots anyway? The PC press is having a field day with the brown as well, are they mac zealots?

If it's such a great color, why isn't it popular in any consumer items? Hmm?

***Major Update News From Redmond***

The Zune "Brown" is not really brown. It is actually the same "Putty" or "Beige" plastics they used on everything they made, only a little darker Hue. The cool green stripe is just the cheap glue they used, discoloring the dark beige color.
  • Reply 151 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReCompile

You know, if the Zune actually looked like this squishy thing, I might have considered buying one.

Totally. A squishy squeezable huggable playable little doll-like mp3 player. "Don't just play your music. Play with your music. The tickle-me-iPod now available."
  • Reply 152 of 174
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Totally. A squishy squeezable huggable playable little doll-like mp3 player. "Don't just play your music. Play with your music. The tickle-me-iPod now available."

Creeeeeeeeeapy.
  • Reply 153 of 174
    I'm late to the Domokun party but nonetheless... (images)

• Reply 154 of 174
  • Reply 155 of 174
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You know, there are entire consulting firms that do nothing but predict what colors and finishes are going to be hot.

You see it all the time-- suddenly a color that you rarely saw in a manufactured product is everywhere. It happened just recently with orange-- all kinds of orange clothes on the market, orange and blue used heavily in station promos, cars in those odd sort of coppery colors and burnt oranges, rows of orange plastic table ware are Target, etc.

It's not clear to me if these companies really "predict" anything or if they just create self fulfilling prophesies, since lots of companies use the same consultants and get told the same thing.

At any rate I'll bet you anything that these companies are, in fact, flogging brown as the new black, and MS is just following along.

We'll see, if a lot of brown things start coming out over the next few months. On the other hand, if the Zune is poorly received, some plans might get changed...

Edit: Oh, jeeze, the Domokun fest happened while I was writing this, um, Developers! Developers! Developers!
  • Reply 156 of 174
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Well, as long as I'm doing all of this CD cover art Photoshopping lately...

• Reply 157 of 174
    ROFLMAO This is classic AppleInsider threadjacking tangent-flying funny stuff. Excellence.
  • Reply 158 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

You know, there are entire consulting firms that do nothing but predict what colors and finishes are going to be hot.

You see it all the time-- suddenly a color that you rarely saw in a manufactured product is everywhere. It happened just recently with orange-- all kinds of orange clothes on the market, orange and blue used heavily in station promos, cars in those odd sort of coppery colors and burnt oranges, rows of orange plastic table ware are Target, etc.

It's not clear to me if these companies really "predict" anything or if they just create self fulfilling prophesies, since lots of companies use the same consultants and get told the same thing.

At any rate I'll bet you anything that these companies are, in fact, flogging brown as the new black, and MS is just following along.

We'll see, if a lot of brown things start coming out over the next few months. On the other hand, if the Zune is poorly received, some plans might get changed...

Edit: Oh, jeeze, the Domokun fest happened while I was writing this, um, Developers! Developers! Developers!

I mentioned color... er... sorry I can't keep spelling it that way... Anyway, I mentioned colour consultants a few posts up. Red-orange and burnt-black-titanium seems to be the go. But I'll be goshdarned if the colour consultants are pushing deadpan-brown as the new in thing. There's also some icky green edge to it. The colours are assed IMO. Seriously.

• Reply 159 of 174
    domo kun is my hero.

sunilraman, the brown zune actually looks a little bit different in "real" photos than in those press shots.

this one below DOES look like crap but it's under "full sunlight", according to the original poster

i know, to 99.99 percent of the world it looks disgusting. just wanted to show the "true" color.
  • Reply 160 of 174
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I really don't get the combination with green.