Apple's Safari to gain new tab, search and form features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

You forgot: "Less space than an iRiver. No wireless. Lame."

Bah! I understand your point, but I'm not sure how much the comparison applies. I think there's a fundemental problem with tying Internet apps to operating system updates because similar programs are updated a lot more often. For all we know, Opera and Firefox will have all of the stated features before Leopard is released.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Then they have the leg up in competition. Problem is... ?

On the one hand, if Safari always has the latest and greatest first, then Apple gets dinged for unfairly locking competitors out.

On the other hand, if Safari lags, then Apple sucks.

Can't have it both ways.

And it's not the OS update that it's tied to, it's the WebKit/WebCore infrastructure. Which you can download the latest version of, and pop under a fresh copy of Safari. That's the version the 3rd party apps that leverage it use - OmniWeb, for instance.

Now, of course, WK/WC is generally updated with major releases along with the OS, due to secondary library dependencies, which makes sense.

Personally, I'd be okay with Safari the application sticking with a more methodical upgrade, if only the WK/WC bundles were updated faster.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Then they have the leg up in competition. Problem is... ?

On the one hand, if Safari always has the latest and greatest first, then Apple gets dinged for unfairly locking competitors out.

On the other hand, if Safari lags, then Apple sucks.

Can't have it both ways.

Having a better program than anyone else doesn't lock others out. Heck, if Safari did manage to leap ahead, it would only take a few months for others to catch up. Staying less than a year behind other programs doesn't lock anyone out either. Thankfully the OS doesn't preventing the owner from installing or using a different program.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Exactly. It's a pretty healthy selection of browsers we have, each with strengths and weaknesses. It could be much worse.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Ahhh...I love it when 2 month old news is recycled.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac~N~Cheese

Odd then that you chose not to use any in your post.\

I thought there was a maximum of 5 smilies after the new forum design was introduced - has this been lifted?

I think these new Safari features look pretty nice, Safari is a superb browser as far as accurate code rendering goes. That Firefox find feature was the one thing I thought was missing. Now we just need improved printing like in IE7.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Let's have an argument about which browser is the best!

I'll start... Safari is better than any other OS X browser.

KA-CHOW!!
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Bah! I understand your point, but I'm not sure how much the comparison applies. I think there's a fundemental problem with tying Internet apps to operating system updates because similar programs are updated a lot more often. For all we know, Opera and Firefox will have all of the stated features before Leopard is released.

Explorer 7 has all of those features as well, but I guess that's only for windows. I use it at work and Firefox at home on my mac, but will probably switch to expl.7 once it's released for mac. I used to be a netscape diehard and hated explorer, but they seem to have surpassed the competition on the latest release, although I'm sure Apple will copy the other features when they finally release safarti 3 in 2007. I like the fact that they've integrated popup and phishing filters as well as web search without needing extra menu-line space from a google toolbar or similar. Funny apple announced it now, probably because Safarti 2 is so far behind the others and they don't want to get a lame rep.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Explorer 7 has all of those features as well,

No, it doesn't.

Quote:

Funny apple announced it now

Apple announced something Safari-related? Where? When?
  • Reply 30 of 61
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:

Explorer 7 has all of those features as well, but I guess that's only for windows. I use it at work and Firefox at home on my mac, but will probably switch to expl.7 once it's released for mac. I used to be a netscape diehard and hated explorer, but they seem to have surpassed the competition on the latest release, although I'm sure Apple will copy the other features when they finally release safarti 3 in 2007. I like the fact that they've integrated popup and phishing filters as well as web search without needing extra menu-line space from a google toolbar or similar. Funny apple announced it now, probably because Safarti 2 is so far behind the others and they don't want to get a lame rep.

Huh? IE7 is a terrible browser. The interface takes up most of the screen real estate (we can see why IE tabs were slow getting to the party, they're so FAT, it's a wonder they made it here at all). Also, I don't think there is any plan to release IE7 for Mac, ever. Also, I'm not sure what you mean about searching without menu-bar space, Firefox and Safari have both had Google search without a toolbar for some time now (like over a year). Safari is behind Firefox is most respects, but far ahead of IE, IMO (though the point is somewhat moot, since neither is made for the other's OS).
  • Reply 31 of 61
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Explorer 7 has all of those features as well, but I guess that's only for windows. I use it at work and Firefox at home on my mac, but will probably switch to expl.7 once it's released for mac...

*vinyl scratch sound*

Don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    i would love to see them add bookmark sets....

instead of just a bookmark of one page, a bookmark that bookmarks all the tabs and that you can reopen all at once.....

i.e. it appears as a bookmark set, if you choose it, it opens all the pages with several bookmarks or if you hold over long enough it lets you choose individual bookmarks
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by intlplby

i would love to see them add bookmark sets....

instead of just a bookmark of one page, a bookmark that bookmarks all the tabs and that you can reopen all at once.....

i.e. it appears as a bookmark set, if you choose it, it opens all the pages with several bookmarks or if you hold over long enough it lets you choose individual bookmarks

Most of what you want is already there and it's pretty easy to use.

Make a folder in the bookmarks or bookmarks toolbar and put bookmarks in it. Click that folder with the scroll wheel/scroll ball/middle mouse button and it opens all the enclosed bookmarks into tabs. If you don't have a middle button or scroll thingie to click, right click the folder or control-click and pick "open in tabs".

The downside is that it closes all current tabs before opening the new tabs. You may want to open a new window first.

The behavior is pretty similar with Firefox too.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

OK, you are right, a couple of the features aren't currently performed, namely combining and splitting windows. You can drag a tab to another existing window though, or another browser. I just dragged this tab from Firefox to Safari.

Jeff, it's more than just a couple of things firefox doesn't do, Firefox only does one thing currently (that is mentioned as a new feature of safari). I think your original post represented a major gaffe, no?.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    I really like the way that Preview.app has always searched the contents of a .pdf - it brings up a side bar (ok draw) that shows each search term with a few words either side so you can get the context and jump to it quickly.

It would be great if this was added to Safari 3 though I'm not so keen on draws.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 36 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Quote:

Funny apple announced it now

Apple announced something Safari-related? Where? When?

Oh, come on Chucker, you are pitiless. Perhaps the guy has not yet realised he is in an Apple rumors forum.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Oh, come on Chucker, you are pitiless. Perhaps the guy has not yet realised he is in an Apple rumors forum.

Well, I just don't respond to well when a post is so full of false assertions.

Quote:

Explorer 7 has all of those features as well,

No. Explorer 7 has rearrangeable tabs, but it does not let you turn a tab into its own window. Also, Explorer 7 does not highlight search terms on a page, nor does it allow textareas to be resized.

Quote:

but I guess that's only for windows.

Yes, that's right. Explorer for Mac has been cancelled long ago, and was a separate project, with a completely different engine, later used in some other Microsoft products, such as WebTV.

Quote:

I use it at work and Firefox at home on my mac, but will probably switch to expl.7 once it's released for mac.

Which is unlikely to ever happen. There's no good business reason for Microsoft to do that.

Quote:

I used to be a netscape diehard and hated explorer, but they seem to have surpassed the competition on the latest release, although I'm sure Apple will copy the other features when they finally release safarti 3 in 2007.

I cannot think of much Explorer 7 has over Safari 3.0. Of course, neither is actually released as final, so the comparison is rather bogus anyway. The only feature I can indeed think of is an anti-phishing feature. That's a nice feature, and I hope Safari will eventually have it as well. Firefox 2.0 will.

Quote:

I like the fact that they've integrated popup and phishing filters as well as web search without needing extra menu-line space from a google toolbar or similar.

As far as I recall, Safari has had popup blocking since 1.0. As for the search field, this is also something Safari and Firefox have had since 1.0.

Quote:

Funny apple announced it now,

There is nothing whatsoever Safari-related that Apple has announced in the recent past.

Quote:

probably because Safarti 2 is so far behind the others and they don't want to get a lame rep.

It is so far behind the others, in fact, that it is still the only major browser whose engine supports text shadow.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Quote:

Finally, Web designers developing pages for Safari will no longer have to fiddle with TEXTAREA form elements in order to satisfy user requirements, while at the same time maintaining some semblence of good page design.

Is this fixing a bug or adding a feature?

It's adding a feature.

It's Apple adding support for the CSS3 resizer property

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-us...000216#resizer

edit: and also 'resize' too. Here's a better example - http://www.css3.info/preview/resize.html
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It is so far behind the others, in fact, that it is still the only major browser whose engine supports text shadow.

Do you have more examples than that?
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Do you have more examples than that?

I don't even use Safari. I just think that "so far behind" is polarizing and inaccurate. It's not the most innovative browser, and I wish it would be updated more frequently, but it's hardly "far behind". Now, if you look at IE 6 (which, mind you, is still the most recent final release of IE, and thus still the default browser on many, many Windows installations), that warrants using the words "far behind".

I'm hoping that, with the release of Safari 3.0 in Leopard, Tiger users will at least receive a minor 2.1 update.