Apple prepares for Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro ramp

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felin


    I don't like the terms "Holiday Shopping Season" and "Thanksgiving" being thrown around . I HOPE TO GOD that it is released on the 10th.



    Whether we like it or not, that is the major buying season for many products.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felin


    I don't like the terms "Holiday Shopping Season" and "Thanksgiving" being thrown around . I HOPE TO GOD that it is released on the 10th.



    The article said that BOTH notebooks would probably be updated by then. That would mean Macbook updated sometime in November, and MBP sometime this month.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    > I've used both enclosures pretty heavily and the TiBook is just better.



    I have a Pismo... and I'm ready to replace it with the new MBP. Yet, I must say that I love the Pismo design because:



    -Great ergonomics.

    -Dual Battery Bay.

    -easy ram and HD expansion

    -Fabulous two-tone flat-black, SR-71 Blackbird design...

    -More ports than some on the initial Ti book...

    -Nice mouse-click feel... I don't like the way the new machines feel



    Anyway, it has been a great computer.



    Thanks,



    Robert
  • Reply 24 of 107
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac


    Gar,



    What don't you like design wise about the MBPs? I personally wouldn't change a thing. While some wish for the MB keyboard, I think the MBPs backlit keyboard is superior. Only thing I would perhaps like added would be the magnetic latch. No biggie to me though.



    Whoops, sorry

    The sad face was for FW800 support and, in a lesser degree, DL superdrive in the 15.4" MBP.

    But the lack of these features won't make me hesitate to buy this revision MBP
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya


    01. No, production has not been ramped up, the title was misleading. All that was reported is that some suppliers have been quoted longer ship times FOR CUSTOM ORDERS, and that some tipsters think they might be starting (or might have already started) to begin ramping up production (I assume this is the step right after they think about starting to begin to start ramping production). Merom MBP ramping may not take place for another month for all we know from this article.



    How do you know it hasn't been ramped up?

    Quote:

    02. I assume you mean Merom MBP, since MBP are in stores now. Just because BTO models are shipping in 2-3 weeks does not neccessarily mean they will have Meroms in them when they get here, though I think it would be great if they do. However, if BTO models are going to have the chips in 2-3 weeks, does that mean that stock orders will have Merom even sooner?



    Great deduction.

    Yes, next week
    Quote:

    03. This is just based on the reports contained in #01.



    04. That's what I always expected. To be honest though, the design is almost perfect. Adding a purely magnetic latch could be cool if they could get it to work as well as MB. Also, a better graphics card would help a lot of people out.



    Agreed.
  • Reply 25 of 107
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar


    Whoops, sorry

    The sad face was for FW800 support and, in a lesser degree, DL superdrive in the 15.4" MBP.

    .



    Yes you are right the FW 800 and DL superdrive would actually be nice enhancements. I just hope they don't make a radical departure from what they currently have which IMO is the best one can get in a portable.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar


    Whoops, sorry

    How do you know it hasn't been ramped up?



    Good point, my first sentence should have said "We don't know that they've been ramped up"
  • Reply 27 of 107
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac


    Gar,



    What don't you like design wise about the MBPs?



    Make the laptops easier for technicians to service so customers can get them back sooner. Instead of using flimsy yellow ribbon cables for the hard drive and optical drive, use a cable free insertion design. Allow the hard drive and optical drives to be removed without having to tear the laptop apart. Allow people to slide out the optical drive and stick in a second battery or a second hard drive. Add a docking station connector and sell a docking station that can also be used on other Macbook models.



    If they use a magnetic latch design, the ridges should be positioned away from the center so people don't press their thumbs against the camera when opening the laptop.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar


    Make the laptops easier for technicians to service so customers can get them back sooner. Instead of using flimsy yellow ribbon cables for the hard drive and optical drive, use a cable free insertion design. Allow the hard drive and optical drives to be removed without having to tear the laptop apart. Allow people to slide out the optical drive and stick in a second battery or a second hard drive. Add a docking station connector and sell a docking station that can also be used on other Macbook models.



    If they use a magnetic latch design, the ridges should be positioned away from the center so people don't press their thumbs against the camera when opening the laptop.



    I really like most of your ideas (especially the one about moving the latches away from the camera. However, I think the idea of the removeable optical drive would be really hard to implement within the current form factor (specifically, I think the laptop would have to be thicker). Also, it would be difficult to make it look stylish. On the other hand, it would be a really awesome feature, since you hardly ever need an optical drive (any disc I use frequently, I just make a disc image of), and you could keep MANY disk images of optical disks on the removeable HD.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Well, I just hope it's soon.



    I really don't want a new case. Everyone who points this out never explains why. I think it's just people wanted something different.



    As for me, what I want in order:



    0. fix the horrific quality problems

    1. Bigger HD

    2. Better GPU

    3. Fix the horrific quality problems

    4. 2.33 C2D



    My instinct is it's 2-3 weeks away because they jut released a bunch of refurbs.



    But my instincts are always wrong when it comes to predicting Apple.



    I just hope Apple has fixed the quality problems.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler


    Well, I just hope it's soon.



    I really don't want a new case. Everyone who points this out never explains why. I think it's just people wanted something different.



    As for me, what I want in order:



    0. fix the horrific quality problems

    1. Bigger HD

    2. Better GPU

    3. Fix the horrific quality problems

    4. 2.33 C2D



    My instinct is it's 2-3 weeks away because they jut released a bunch of refurbs.



    But my instincts are always wrong when it comes to predicting Apple.



    I just hope Apple has fixed the quality problems.



    I hear ya... Though I'm willing to settle. Give me an X1950 GPU and C2D and I'm happy.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    i want the faster procs, and then i don't care if they update the basic specs, but i'd like them to drop some of their rediculous BTO prices. the ram prices make me hurl garlic.



    i want a 160 gig drive in my next notebook at least.. i want at least 2 gigs of ram. i want a fast video card.



    i want the blackbook to have a video card.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler


    I just hope Apple has fixed the quality problems.



    I've been extremely pleased with the quality of my MBP, purchased March 1, 2006. The only problem I had was with the whining logic board, which they just replaced for me, free of charge.



    The interesting thing is that everyone saw this as a huge problem. Every laptop I've owned (an Acer tablet and a Dell Inspiron 300m) made the same whining noises, I just figured it was the wireless (since I was more likely to be using wireless when the computer was unplugged, and the whine comes from power issues that are more prevalent when running on battery, this mistake is understandable). However, it wasn't until I bought an Apple computer that I ever found out that anyone cared about these noises.



    So, it's not like the other manufacturers' computers don't exhibit many of the same issues, it's just that Apple consumers hold them to a much higher standard of what quality is.



    In regards to the MB problems, the RSS issue is pretty pathetic, I'll agree. Also, it was poor design to use soft plastic for the inside area around the keyboard, since it absorbs dirt and oil VERY quickly.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    I can't understand why some people are hoping for the MacBook keyboard to be introduced to the MBP line. Having typed with both I think the MacBook keyboard, though it may look nice, performs sticky and no has no back light of course....



    I have a feeling that these people hoping for this change are quite simply ill advised or maybe just ill!
  • Reply 34 of 107
    ksolksol Posts: 2member
    I want my duo 2 core mbp tablet
  • Reply 35 of 107
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tintintin


    I can't understand why some people are hoping for the MacBook keyboard to be introduced to the MBP line. Having typed with both I think the MacBook keyboard, though it may look nice, performs sticky and no has no back light of course....



    I have a feeling that these people hoping for this change are quite simply ill advised or maybe just ill!



    Plus it looks ugly. Beveled buttons are just sexier.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Regarding refurbs:



    Anyone know if Apple clears out stock of an older model by calling it a refurb? Could these sometimes be new machines?
  • Reply 37 of 107
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    If you take your Mac to a local repair shop and they replace the logic board, the serial number will no longer be displayed in About This Mac or System Profiler. When I take my computer or my car in to have parts replaced, I expect the new parts to have the same functionality as the original parts. Apple should allow any technician to restore the serial number after replacing a logic board.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler


    Well, I just hope it's soon.



    I really don't want a new case. Everyone who points this out never explains why. I think it's just people wanted something different.



    As for me, what I want in order:



    0. fix the horrific quality problems

    1. Bigger HD

    2. Better GPU

    3. Fix the horrific quality problems

    4. 2.33 C2D



    My instinct is it's 2-3 weeks away because they jut released a bunch of refurbs.



    But my instincts are always wrong when it comes to predicting Apple.



    I just hope Apple has fixed the quality problems.



    If you could make a list of all the new and upadated features you'd like to see in the new MacBook Pro that's coming out soon, what would they be???



    Here's what I have so far... please make comments and add on to my list...



    * faster chips (new core 2 duo chip)

    * support for 4GB of memory

    * MacBook type keyboard

    * new video card

    * firewire 800 (15" model)

    * 3 USB 2.0 ports (15" model)

    * longer battery life

    * 802.11n

    * new enclosure
  • Reply 39 of 107
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Any divot / dent / ding in the aluminum MBP enclosure voids Applecare. WTF??
  • Reply 40 of 107
    I want a MacBook Pro. However, I will wait until they release the newer version. I want the 17" version. My friends say it is huge but the 1680X1050 screen is the same res as the Apple 20" display. I will get the three year apple care. Compusa offers a screen protection plan for three years. I will get that, then after the three years maybe the displays would be around $100 on ebay.



    A MBP Tablet would be tight. Esp. with the two+ finger touch ability.



    I wish they would do user upgradeable video cards.
Sign In or Register to comment.