Sony's New iPod shuffle competitor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    dont look too bad, but i dont realy see any point in the shuffle now, now that you can get 1gb nano's for like £10 more
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    1 GB Shuffle = £69.00

1 GB Nano = £99.01

NW-E003 = £77.49 (Amazon)

Sony features OLED Display, FM tuner / Supports ATRAC,MP3,WMA

Err... wow! Truely innovative!

• Reply 3 of 10
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    they should really put a display klike that on the shuffle. and rename it ipod micro
  • Reply 4 of 10
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

dont look too bad, but i dont realy see any point in the shuffle now, now that you can get 1gb nano's for like £10 more

Dude, the nano is $70 more than a shuffle, what are you talking about?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat

Dude, the nano is $70 more than a shuffle, what are you talking about?

That's for 2 GBs. He's talking about used/refurbished 1 GB models.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The point of the shuffle now (or pretty soon now} is that it is ridiculously small and is its own clip.

I think Apple did a really smart thing here: people were griping that the shuffle needed a display. Instead of compromising the concept of the Shuffle, Apple lowered the price on the base Nano into former shuffle range and made a new shuffle that makes the "display" talk moot.

For all of the talk about how Apple puts style over substance, the iPod range is remarkable for its straightforward pragmatism. Just what you need to carry and navigate music, with a great look and feel that makes it easy to operate.

Sony will never get this. They keep making MP3 players that have "cool" designs that have little or nothing to do with making them convenient to use.

It's funny, because the iPod is considered a "fashion" accessory, but nobody does more than Apple to integrate a music player into daily life.

Look at the linked Sony models again. Do they look like they would be easy to operate with one hand? Does the OLE display look like it would be easy to read at a glance? Can you imagine it in an armband? Using it at the gym? While running?

Apple thinks about lots of people using a music player in different ways and strives to make that experience as pleasant as possible.

Sony, apparently, thinks about a 16 year old pulling out his new toy and making his friends go "ooohhh".
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

I think Apple did a really smart thing here: people were griping that the shuffle needed a display. Instead of compromising the concept of the Shuffle, Apple lowered the price on the base Nano into former shuffle range and made a new shuffle that makes the "display" talk moot.

Good point. I absolutely never want a shuffle with a display -- I use it for working out, always will. I know what's on it and that's that. When this shuffle of mine dies, I'll get the teeny-tiny one. I think it's perfect for me.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

they should really put a display klike that on the shuffle. and rename it ipod micro

According to my metric conversions, "micro" is significantly larger than "nano". A more accurate name would be iPod Pico, Femto, Atto, Zepto, or Yocto. I think iPod Yocto would be cool. Or Pico.

8)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Or, you could stick with shuffle and leave it the way it is, which happens to sell quite well, thankyouverymuch.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    hmmm i'd rather have the new shuffle. apple should offer colors!