White line going across ibook screen

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All of aa sudden there is a think white line going across the screen off my sisters ibook and it wont go away. Any idea why this would happen and how to get rid of it? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ouch. You have a dead/short pathway in your screen. Those are pretty rare, but the only way to fix it is to get your screen replaced.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

Ouch. You have a dead/short pathway in your screen. Those are pretty rare, but the only way to fix it is to get your screen replaced.

Oh well, thats the end of that
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I have a solution, that should work. If you have Tiger, you can download my widget, Pixel Fix. That may work.

Try it. It has fixed 1,000's of stuck pixels.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    This isn't a stuck pixel though. This effects an entire row of unresponsive pixels and sounds like a horizontal electrical pathway opened up.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I dont have Tiger either.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

Wrong. The same thing happened to my 12" PowerBook. I just "Massaged" the area and it came back.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vbulletin

Wrong. The same thing happened to my 12" PowerBook. I just "Massaged" the area and it came back.

I'll give it a shot.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    A LCD screen is built of an array of individual pixels and while massaging a few stuck pixels can sometimes bring them back, this symptom does not affect an entire row at once. An LCD works by sending signals not to display an image but change the image if need be. If that signal is interrupted, such as this scenario suggests, an entire row or column of pixels will become unresponsive and no amount of massaging will recover them. However, force may temporarily correct a loose connection if there is indeed one in the screen. What is happening is clearly an interruption in the video signal, likely from a defective component on the screen itself. This problem is NOT a stuck pixel in which your method is highly recommended since they are usually random and generally do not effect neighboring pixels.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Yeh, it didnt work.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    i have the same problem right now with my powerbook g4 (12 inches)

did u end up fixing urs?

if yes what did u do?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Nope, its still there