Adding RAM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to buy an iBook and I heard that the RAM that Apple sells isnt the cheapest. So I should buy it elsewhere.

Are they all ok for that iBook or do they need to have somehting in particular. Is the maximum amount each only 128?

Thanks,

Dale Mox

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dale Mox:

<strong>I'm going to buy an iBook and I heard that the RAM that Apple sells isnt the cheapest. So I should buy it elsewhere.

Are they all ok for that iBook or do they need to have somehting in particular. Is the maximum amount each only 128?

Thanks,

Dale Mox</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right now, the double your memory for $40 offer is still in force - on the 256 models you can go from 256 to 640 (the max) for $40.

On the 128s you go from 128 to 256 for $40.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Lundy,

I don't think that offer's still on.

If you check customise on the apple store it asks you to add 150 instead of 40
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It does SAY that it will add $150, but once you actually add it and update the subtotal, there's some red text that says "promotion savings" and it tells you how much is taken off. Only $40 is added to the price. That is, unless the offer actually is over.

Anyway, if you're getting one of the 14" iBooks that comes with 256 MB of RAM, then going to 640 for $40 is a pretty good deal. However, 128 to 256 for $40 is NOT a good deal - 128 MB of RAM for the iBook costs about $20-$30.

If you want the cheapest RAM, go to <a href="http://www.ramseeker.com"; target="_blank">www.ramseeker.com</a> and look at the iBook listings. A single 512 MB module costs $70 to $80. Remember that the iBook has one soldered-in 128 MB module and one slot open, so you can only add one module.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    256+256=640?

pigs can fly?

edit: ah I forgot that 256 =128+128, to double 128+384, 384 don't exist, thus 128+512, so actually more than double. stupid soldered on RAM.

G-news

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: G-News ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    my experience : don't get the cheapest RAM you can find ... quality CAN be an issue.

I had a bad RAM chip causing KernalPanics a while back ... it turned out to be the el cheapo brand (from MacMall) ... the more expensive chips I've bought (several name brands) have given no problems.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.