"True Video iPod at MWSF"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
from here

Quote:

A true video iPod is hot topic these days among Apple owners, but when can we expect it? Mac World San Francisco is unquestionably Apple?s largest consumer event of the year, so should we expect a true video iPod when January rolls around?

Now you may ask, why should I expect to see a true video iPod at MWSF. Since you asked, we decided to tell.

The latest update to the iPod occurred on September 12, 2006 at a special event titled ?Showtime?. Other releases included a redesigned and enhanced iPod nano, iTV, and the iTunes Video Store. The iPod received a minor update including longer battery life, a brighter screen, and a larger hard drive for the high-end model. Along with these upgrades came a price cut of about $50. Most importantly, the greater battery life would allow for an iPod with greater power consumption. The bigger screen of a video iPod would obviously require more battery life and with the longer battery life, a video iPod becomes more plausible. The price cut also contributes greatly to the probability that we may see a true video iPod at MWSF for reasons we will discuss later.

To add to the equation, Microsoft?s Zune is near launch and Microsoft is sure to spill some big money into marketing their so-called ?iPod Killer?. With Zune?s release in November, why shouldn?t Apple release a killer iPod around the time that the Zune marketing campaign?s effects start to be felt?

Earlier, we touched on the price cut to the current iPod. At the present time, Apple doesn?t have an iPod available in its $300-$400 price range that it consistently has filled. The video iPod would be a perfect gap filler for this price point. Recall the iPod Photo? Expect Apple to use a similar approach with the video iPod, or should I say, ?iPod Video?.. Given the greater cost of materials of a true video iPod, and the need to compete with Microsoft?s Zune, Apple couldn?t simply raise the price of the iPod. If they were to do this, it would give the Zune just what Microsoft wants, a price advantage. Having the iPod at a cheaper price point, and pricing the iPod video at a premium would give Apple the advantage of price, and allow them to have a hands-down better player than the Zune.

MWSF is the perfect time for Apple to release a true video iPod, and I wouldn?t expect them to release it at any other time but MWSF.

That said, expect big things at MWSF ?07.

what do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I'm generally in agreement with this article. It touches on all the reasons I've though of about a new iPod being released. It seems to me that they might be trying to get rid of their "5G stock" by offering some upgrades (most of which are available to everyone through a software update) in order to entice people to purchase before the holidays and before Macworld. This is rather traditional Apple scheduling. Most of their computers are updated before the Holidays and then brand new products released in January.

Also, with the advent of the new iTunes Store, which now sells 640X480 videos, I expect Apple to release a portable video player to take advantage of the larger pixel depths and vastly larger video collection of the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    I wonder if the "true video iPod" is also the "ultra portable mac" discussed in the other threads.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I just hope it doesn't take longer than MWSF.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

I just hope it doesn't take longer than MWSF.

AMEN!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    i agree with the article. apple dropped the prices of their ipod models while improving the specs. generally they leave the prices where they are with incremental improvements to the specs. they seem to have intentionally left a "high end" ipod price space open. the ipod with video used to be around $500. there's a pretty big gap at the top right now above the 80 gigger. they might be waiting to get a sense of where microsoft wants to price the larger capacity version of the zune.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member

Had to be done!! .
  • Reply 7 of 12
    yeah, I am with you.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium

i agree with the article. apple dropped the prices of their ipod models while improving the specs. generally they leave the prices where they are with incremental improvements to the specs. they seem to have intentionally left a "high end" ipod price space open. the ipod with video used to be around $500. there's a pretty big gap at the top right now above the 80 gigger. they might be waiting to get a sense of where microsoft wants to price the larger capacity version of the zune.

I expect Apple to do a full preview of vide-i, just like they did with iTV, timed a day or 2 before or after Zune is released, in an effort to suck the life out of Zune. Then, a price announcement a couple of days after Zune comes out at either the same level, if it's a better product, or 50 bucks cheaper, if it isn't as good as Zune (that depends on the inclusion of zune's filesharing options and how worried apple is about them). That's what they've got to do to kick Microsoft in the nuts. Just look what sony did with Playstation3 - make people who are a bit uncertain wait and see the 2 side-by-side.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium

Actually the iPod with Video always topped out at $399. The iPod Photos were $499 and $599 for 40GB and 60GB respectively, and those dropped at the end of October, much like the true video iPod will this year. The September 12th iPod announcements weren't Apple's REAL salvo, they were merely a shot across the bow at Microsoft and the Zune. The real attack will come later this month when the iPod Video broadsides that overhyped behemoth of a turd.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Eh, I doubt that Superbass - it'd suck sales from Zune, sure, but it'd also suck sales from the *current* iPods. Not good. The current iPod lineup more than holds its own against the Zune. No need for them to Osborne themselves.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

I expect Apple to do a full preview of vide-i, just like they did with iTV, timed a day or 2 before or after Zune is released, in an effort to suck the life out of Zune. Then, a price announcement a couple of days after Zune comes out at either the same level, if it's a better product, or 50 bucks cheaper, if it isn't as good as Zune (that depends on the inclusion of zune's filesharing options and how worried apple is about them). That's what they've got to do to kick Microsoft in the nuts. Just look what sony did with Playstation3 - make people who are a bit uncertain wait and see the 2 side-by-side.

The phantom full screen iPod isn't a competitor to the Zune, it's in a different class entirely. Apple has already answered Microsoft's Zune with the regular iPod. $250 each, and the Zune has wireless capabilities that have absolutely no advantage, mediocre interface, .5" larger screen, and vastly inferior integration with the PC. No tried and true vertical solution at the moment. The 30GB iPod is more than enough competition to the current Zune. Apple is going to take it to an entirely new level with the iPod video. Expect to see a $449 or $499 price point for a single version, POSSIBLY a $399 price point if they do a low and high capacity lineup.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MovieCutter

The phantom full screen iPod isn't a competitor to the Zune, it's in a different class entirely. Apple has already answered Microsoft's Zune with the regular iPod. $250 each, and the Zune has wireless capabilities that have absolutely no advantage, mediocre interface, .5" larger screen, and vastly inferior integration with the PC. No tried and true vertical solution at the moment. The 30GB iPod is more than enough competition to the current Zune. Apple is going to take it to an entirely new level with the iPod video. Expect to see a $449 or $499 price point for a single version, POSSIBLY a $399 price point if they do a low and high capacity lineup.

Ditto,

I am almost certain the ipod video will be around $450-$500. They will cash on early and then down the road drop the prices. You always pay more for something innovative and cutting edge.

I am willing to pay that money for it. I hope it comes to some way to input data on the road ala PDA and 120gig drive.

I really look forward to see it before the end of the month so Santa can get me one! :-)