Foxconn lands Core 2 Duo MacBook orders from Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Foxconn Electronics, the now infamous maker of Apple Computer's iPod nano digital music players, recently secured a contract that will make it the third manufacturer of the company's Intel-based MacBook computer line, according to a report in the Commercial Times.

Citing an analyst at Credit Lyonnais Securities Asia, the Chinese-language publication last week said Foxconn -- the registered trade name of Hon Hai Precision Industry -- has received notebook orders from Apple and will start volume shipments of one new MacBook model by the end of this year.

As a result of the move, Asustek Computer is expected to see its notebook orders from Apple cut by one-third in 2007, as compared to the amount it received this year, the analyst added.

The report does not indicate whether the orders are for Apple's 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro professional notebooks or its consumer-oriented 13-inch MacBook models. The subject is further complicated by reports from Far East publications that appear to contradict one another on the matter.

In an earlier report, the Commercial Times indicated that Asustek has been responsible for MacBook manufacturing and Quanta the MacBook Pro -- suggesting a loss of orders by Asustek would imply the Foxconn win was for Apple's 13-inch MacBooks

On the other hand, with its share of the US-based notebook market rising sharply from 6 to 12 percent during the first half of the year, Apple in August was reported to be shopping for a third contract manufacturer in order to stamp out more systems.

At the time, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News reported that the Mac maker was likely to favor Foxconn, which had been looking to do new business with Apple, specifically offering to build its 15-inch MacBook Pro high-end notebooks.

Nevertheless, people familiar with Apple's product plans have said the company will update both its MacBook and MacBook Pro lines with Intel Corp.'s Core 2 Duo processors in time for the start of holiday shopping season this November.

Insiders and analysts alike believe the Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple stands a solid chance of selling as many as 1 million notebook systems during the three-month period ending December. The milestone would be a company first.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Oh come on now, don't quote DigiTimes.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    And what exactly does end-of-year mean?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Great, so now we might have to wait till end of the year...I guess we might as well be waiting till MWSF then..What will be the point to release macbook pros so late this year and then if that happens, obviously nothing will change in JAN..I am not sure what Apple is trying to do...Why are they delaying the shipments so much....Other vendors are already shipping Core 2 Duo laptops so I would have thought that Apple would be the first ones...
  • Reply 4 of 61
    hmmmm...This is interesting. I wonder what's going on. If they wait till Jaunary to release anything new i would assume that all of this would be done:

new enclosure (only one im not sure of)

more ram (for sure)

higher res screens (for sure)

more I/O (for sure)

mag latch (for sure)

bigger HDD (for sure)

new wireless

DL dvd burner (not sure)

or

blu-ray ROM/Burner??? (really not sure)

or

Apple could just make everyone wait till January, and not upgrade sh!t...just put the new chip in...looks like that's a huge possibility too, that's why I'm not waiting, I'm buying a laptop and then I'll buy the MBP when it comes out with C2D, if they upgrade a few things...damnit Apple, do something already!
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Now wouldn't it be stupid if Apple updated their MBs to the Core 2 Duo and not their higher end MBPs?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Doesn't anyone know how to read here?

Quote:

the Commercial Times indicated that Asustek has been responsible for MacBook manufacturing and Quanta the MacBook Pro.

On the other hand, with its share of the US-based notebook market rising sharply from 6 to 12 percent during the first half of the year, Apple in August was reported to be shopping for a third contract manufacturer in order to stamp out more systems.

These 2 companies are currently manufacturing the MacBook lines but Apple (from news/rumors) wants to expand that to 3 Manufacturers which it seems it would be Foxconn and if Foxconn does have (or will get) a contract with Apple they should start ramping up production before the end of the year.

But the other 2 companies should already be ramping up both the new models which will both be introduced in the next 4 weeks. (I say 4 weeks because they have to be shipping before Thanksgiving)

Quote:

Nevertheless, people familiar with Apple's product plans have said the company will update both its MacBook and MacBook Pro lines with Intel Corp.'s Core 2 Duo processors in time for the start of holiday shopping season this November.

• Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

hmmmm...This is interesting. I wonder what's going on. If they wait till Jaunary to release anything new i would assume that all of this would be done:

...snip

higher res screens (for sure)

...snip

Keep dreaming.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Look if they say by end of year then that includes any time up to then. However common sense tells us (though obviously not all judging fom the above) that any such availability will be well before the holiday itself. Otherwise it will be afterwards at MWSF. If it should be that late then it is pretty safe to bet that there will be a substantial update including new case and technology that simply won't be available till then. Either way because the actual processor replacement is pretty straight forward of itself there will be good reasons for any delay so stop whinging because there would be far more to moan about if you got them now and then were faced with an updated machine a few months hence leaving yours obsolete or needing a paid upgrade.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

has received notebook orders from Apple and will start volume shipments of one new MacBook model by the end of this year.

MacBook Nano/Tiny/Thin/Wii?
  • Reply 10 of 61
    So the company that is manufacturing the flash nanos is going to be making mbp or mb's so hopefully some flash memory technology will be added?

Wishfull thinking?
  • Reply 11 of 61
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    If Apple gives Macbook more GMA950 crapass graphics why even bother with core2duo? I wouldnt be surprised if apple throws in a old rage with the history they have of crippling the consumer models. Lets face it Apple uses the cheapist graphics it can find so whats the point of a nice cpu if you they are using the worst performing gpu? Apples choice in GPU's in almost every model is a frickin joke.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51

Now wouldn't it be stupid if Apple updated their MBs to the Core 2 Duo and not their higher end MBPs?

This is Apple we're talking about here. While Apple is issuing out new notebook contracts, how how about one for a 15" (non-pro) Macbook? 15" integrated graphics notebooks are by far the most popular out there.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Well the macbook isnt really targeted toward gamers... And I dont really game that much anyway (and this is from an 18 year old kid..). I see this as just a slight upgrade.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Hey, I hate to tease you all, but this 12" Dell is thinner and lighter than the macbook (granted it's an inch smaller than mb) cost my dad in canada about $3400 canadian incl. shipping (not sure about tax) when he bought it a few days ago. I know that's a bit pricier than the Macbook, but check out what he got...

He was teasing me for holding out for the new MB pro, but I'm hoping that when it finally arrives the Pro will beat his. (and he'll still be stuck with XP... )

Dell XPS M1210

Components

Intel® Core? 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz/667MHz/4MB)

Genuine Windows® XP Professional

Integrated Webcam and Mobile Broadband Antenna

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce? Go 7400 TurboCache?

Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy? HD Software Edition
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

This is Apple we're talking about here. While Apple is issuing out new notebook contracts, how how about one for a 15" (non-pro) Macbook? 15" integrated graphics notebooks are by far the most popular out there.

If it's popular, it must be good!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

Matsu would've loved it.

But I personally don't know how it would fit in Apples product matrix without eating a bit of 15" MacBook Pro sales.

I think Irelands suggestion would be a lot more interesting:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

MacBook Nano/Tiny/Thin/Wii?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Hey, I hate to tease you all, but this 12" Dell is thinner and lighter than the macbook (granted it's an inch smaller than mb) cost my dad in canada about $3400 canadian incl. shipping (not sure about tax) when he bought it a few days ago. I know that's a bit pricier than the Macbook, but check out what he got...

He was teasing me for holding out for the new MB pro, but I'm hoping that when it finally arrives the Pro will beat his. (and he'll still be stuck with XP... )

Dell XPS M1210

Blahblahblah...

Your dad isn't accidently Simon Wagstaff?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

• Reply 17 of 61
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

If it's poular, it may be profitable.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

If it's poular, it may be profitable.

Quote:

"Never, in the history of the PC, has a company been better-positioned than Apple is at this time to both gain share and improve profitability, in our opinion," he said. "In our opinion, Apple stock is positioned to outperform based on a series of potential quarterly catalysts we highlighted two weeks ago."

For the December holiday quarter, Hoopes is modeling Apple to report 16.8 percent yearly growth to $6.7 billion in revenue

Sounds like a profitable company to me.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Sounds like a profitable company to me.

While I agree that Apple is quite profitable I also beleive that Apple could make a 15" Macbook and maintain their nice margins. Also do you actually believe Apple can substancially increase market share without a 15" Macbook and a mid-range tower? I don't.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

While I agree that Apple is quite profitable I also beleive that Apple could make a 15" Macbook and maintain their nice margins. Also do you actually believe Apple can substancially increase market share without a 15" Macbook and a mid-range tower? I don't.

We can keep going in circles and hijack every other thread about how Apple should do a mid-range extensible tower and magically make high revenues off of it even though other PC manufacturers don't and haven't in well over a decade now, and about how they should do this or should do that.

I'd rather talk about something realistic, myself.