itunes eating hard disk space

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi I'm running itunes 7 .0.1 on my G4 rev A 12" powerbook and I keep getting out of disk space warnings. In the finder windows it says I only have about 100 - 200mb free but if I reboot this goes back up to a gig.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Jon-e-orange

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Only 1 GB of free space can be quickly eaten up with virtual memory and other system related files.

It's recommend to keep 10-15% of your hard drive's total capacity free, so you should either copy some files to another drive or backup/delete files the free up much more space.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fair point - Endymion, but it seems to only happen (or is a lot worse) when itunes is running.

With a bit of luck it won't be a problem when I order my next machine with bigger hard drive.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    See how much VM you are using - check pageouts in the Memory tab of Activity Monitor.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bloody hell! I just looked Lundy its over 5GB! without itunes running. It is odd though that it is noticeably worse when itunes is runing.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon-e-orange

bloody hell! I just looked Lundy its over 5GB! without itunes running. It is odd though that it is noticeably worse when itunes is runing.

Until you've got your new machine, you should avoid using cover flow in iTunes. It is a serious memory hog and has loads of memory leaks. If you use cover flow in any iTunes session, iTunes wont release the memory during that session, even if you stop using cover flow. If you stay away from cover flow, iTunes memory usage seems to be pretty good.