124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vorm-krijger

he Copse

And .... HL2 is it good ?

Running HL2 at native res with everything maxed out. Runs perfect!

• Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak

32% plus a 25% VAT%?? Ouch! I bet you get more from your government though than we do at times. Our healthcare is totally f###ed up. We have great medical technology, but fewer and fewer people can afford it. Our politicians are completely

owned by big business so I doubt things will change much short-term

Any complaints about your cool 24 incher?

No complaints =)
  • Reply 63 of 71
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    More in game pictures! Looks fantastic to me

Im betting counter-strike should be quite nice too eh
  • Reply 64 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Copse

Running HL2 at native res with everything maxed out. Runs perfect!

...Man. That looks spectacular.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I live in the UK and when I was employed 25% of my wage would disappear each month thanks to National Insurance and Income Tax. We are now being told that if we want decent healthcare (i.e. the treatment arrives before your condition gets morbidly worse) we have to pay for it on top of the taxes we already pay. By the time we retire there will be no state pension, even although we've all been paying in to it the whole of our working lives.

You might have to pay for private health insurance and pensions in the US, but at least you don't have to pay for them twice!

On top of that, we pay 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax) on virtually everything. VAT was original introduced as a tax on luxury items, but successive governments have managed to apply it to everything including hot meals and heating your own home. There was somebody on the radio a while back who claimed that by the time we had paid all out taxes, the average person in the UK was paying somewhere in the region of 55% tax.

So it doesn't really matter who you work for, in the UK we all work for the Chancellor first and ourselves second. I don't think I could afford to live in the UK if I wasn't self employed.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    WoW

Wc3

Sorry for the poor quality, my camera sucks
  • Reply 67 of 71
    sbhsbh Posts: 3member
    Super stoked. 2' imac just arrived. BTO 2Gb ram and 7600GT gpu....... SUPER BUMMED... Computer is DOA!!! Hard drive is either bad or disconnected. Now I have to wait for the return shipping labels and bring it to FedEx....
  • Reply 68 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbh

Super stoked. 2' imac just arrived. BTO 2Gb ram and 7600GT gpu....... SUPER BUMMED... Computer is DOA!!! Hard drive is either bad or disconnected. Now I have to wait for the return shipping labels and bring it to FedEx....

2', I see what you done there. You must be a genius
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

I live in the UK and when I was employed 25% of my wage would disappear each month thanks to National Insurance and Income Tax. We are now being told that if we want decent healthcare (i.e. the treatment arrives before your condition gets morbidly worse) we have to pay for it on top of the taxes we already pay. By the time we retire there will be no state pension, even although we've all been paying in to it the whole of our working lives.

You might have to pay for private health insurance and pensions in the US, but at least you don't have to pay for them twice!

On top of that, we pay 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax) on virtually everything. VAT was original introduced as a tax on luxury items, but successive governments have managed to apply it to everything including hot meals and heating your own home. There was somebody on the radio a while back who claimed that by the time we had paid all out taxes, the average person in the UK was paying somewhere in the region of 55% tax.

So it doesn't really matter who you work for, in the UK we all work for the Chancellor first and ourselves second. I don't think I could afford to live in the UK if I wasn't self employed.

This is all really good stuff guys, thanks for the great posts in this thread. Came in looking to read something about an iMac, but found something much more interesting in conversation of VATs and social systems.

Finland has about the same system as Sweden, we have a 22% VAT. Also, many people who earn decent money pay taxes that can go as high as 50-65%! Normal level would be around 30-40% I suppose. If you work a shitjob, you get taxed lowed, around 15% or so, but then again, you're not making anything anyway.

All the decisions come down to a larger schema, whether the policy is to balance the individuals chance of a good healthy life with some money to spend, or to give everyone a shot at the stars, but good luck if you don't make it. In Finland with the EU a problem has risen where highly-educated academics and professionals are leaving the country to work in the States or western Europe due to the outrageous taxing policy.

I certainly don't envy the politicians job, near impossible to keep a working social system while letting those earn their millions who've got to that point. Of course, they never forget the annual raise on their own salaries, while university students (yes I am) haven't got a raise to their support in 15 years.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Has any one run the old Myst series on the 24" iMac? I was always a generation behind when a new one came out so they stalled like crazy for me.

BTW did you get throught them all???
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Sales taxes in Canada are only 14% and I thought that was high !