Ballmer claims Microsoft won't lose money on Zune

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    With all this squirting going around, seems appropriate to link to this video
  • Reply 42 of 91
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    It is amazing that business allows truly obnoxious people, little affected by honesty or self-awareness to be so successful.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    Jesus, this guy just talked himself into a Gordian knot!

That's why I like Steve Jobs - you see him in an interview and he speaks in plain English. He says direct things like:

'...Microsoft just has not taste'.

There's no misunderstanding that sort of comment.

Not like 'squirt' you some pictures of my kids! WTF? Why not say 'Hey, I'll transfer...' or 'Hey, I'll send you...'. For the love of all that's holy, anything but 'Squirt'!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme

That's what I want, is it? However, unless BOTH you AND I own a Zune, we can't squirt. We'll still have settle for me handing you my player to look at the photos Is that so terrible? Is that a problem that needs a solution? (Don't get me wrong, it's a neat extra--like the stopwatch built into iPods--but how frequently will it be used in reality? And the iPod stopwatch doesn't drain battery life waiting to find other users in range for exciting 3-day music loans.)

Does "figure out how to make money later" sound like a good business plan?

That's still not completely clear to me. That sounds like it COULD mean that MS will lose money per hardware sale, but "predicts" that they will make it up in other ways to break even. (Including the advertising budget, and the loss of PlaysForSure WMA revenue from its WMA licensees it is now competing against?) Not that it matters, MS will survive a loss.

From Buck's "Zune vs. iPod Myths" link:

What?

And on top of it all, it's not even compatible with other Microsft WMA stores

But they gave me a chance to use different smileys 8)

• Reply 44 of 91
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho

So basically, if I buy a Zune now, later it will get flooded with ads? Thanks Ballmer... but no thanks.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I've stopped buying iTMS shows because comedy central shows have that stupid commercial.

Well, that and the updates to the season pass were way too slow. I had to wait 5 days for a stargate episode.. yeah uh I don't think so Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    1. Zune comes in brown

2. Zune looks crap

3. Zune song offerings and "Marketplace" is going to be bloated, confusing rubbish

4. Zune has "Hello From Seattle" (WHO THE FRACK CARES)

5. Steve Ballmer, via Zune, is capable of touching you in one place or many different places

6. You can use Zune squirt stuff at each other.

WTF??????????????????????? WHO OR WHAT OR WHERE THE HELL IS THIS SO-CALLED MARKETING TEAM?
  • Reply 46 of 91
  • Reply 47 of 91
    It's like teaching a monkey to use a Mac.
  • Reply 48 of 91

Microsoft just doesn't get it. All that money, zero taste. Guess those two usually go together
  • Reply 49 of 91
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I've stopped buying iTMS shows because comedy central shows have that stupid commercial.

Well, that and the updates to the season pass were way too slow. I had to wait 5 days for a stargate episode.. yeah uh I don't think so Apple.

Both ads and timetables come from the content owner, not from Apple. So problems caused by Comedy Central would not apply to other shows on iTMS.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i still think microsoft moved into this market because of apple wouldn't allow itunes on the 360.

i think they should have
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

He lost me at "squirt".

Did he really say 'squirt'?

Maybe he meant "Squint"?? The thought of him "Squirting" puts a forever bad vision when I hear the word "Zune" now.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdoisy

English not being my mother tongue and wondering about all comments, I looked in the Mac OSX dictionary for "squirt" where one definition says: |skw?rt|, verb [ trans. ], transmit (information) in highly compressed or speeded-up form".

Sounds like Ballmer is a very educated man!

Ok, ok, just having fun, I know what you mean...

It's a millitary term.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007

I can't believe that even the English dictionary on a Mac is more complete ! According to the New Oxford American Dictionary, 2nd edition (standard with Mac OS X Tiger) :

squirt |skw?rt|

verb [ trans. ] cause (a liquid ) to be ejected from a small opening in something in a thin, fast stream or jet : she squirted soda into a glass.

? cause (a container of liquid) to eject its contents in this way : some youngsters squirted a water pistol in her face.

? [ trans. ] wet (someone or something) with a jet or stream of liquid in this way : she squirted me with the juice from her lemon wedge.

? [ intrans. ] (of a liquid) be ejected from something in this way.

? [ intrans. ] (of an object) move suddenly and unpredictably : he got his glove on the ball but it squirted away.

? transmit (information) in highly compressed or speeded-up form.

noun

1 a thin stream or small quantity of liquid ejected from something : a quick squirt of perfume.

? a small device from which a liquid may be ejected in a thin, fast stream.

? a compressed radio signal transmitted at high speed.

2 informal a person perceived to be insignificant, impudent, or presumptuous : what did he see in this patronizing little squirt?

DERIVATIVES squirter noun

ORIGIN Middle English (first recorded as a verb): imitative.

You need a techincal dictionary for this.

http://foldoc.org/?squirt+the+bird

On this next, scroll down to page 3.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...&client=safari

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari

I think this is enough to get the idea across.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    From the article: "Boom. Boom. Boom. We know how to keep coming."

You guys should squirt this article to your whole family!
  • Reply 55 of 91
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

So basically, if I buy a Zune now, later it will get flooded with ads?

Basically if you buy a Zune, Ballmer will personally squirt everyone a picture of something. Free squirtpix - come with every Zune purchased!
  • Reply 56 of 91
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Will Windows Vista feature the newly announced AeroSquirt interface? DirectSquirt 10? OfficeSquirt 2007? Howabout the SteveBallmer "Wizard" on your desktop. He dances around insanely until you ask him to look for a file on your hard disk or something... Then he dances more, gets sweatier, and squirts more stuff at you
  • Reply 57 of 91
    Steve Ballmer, Squirting your kids since 2006

????!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!????
  • Reply 58 of 91
    that picture of balmers face...........

My cats just lost the ability to mate
  • Reply 59 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard

Not like 'squirt' you some pictures of my kids! WTF? Why not say 'Hey, I'll transfer...' or 'Hey, I'll send you...'. For the love of all that's holy, anything but 'Squirt'!

With the current Internet & politics scandal happening now in the US, squirt really is a very unfortunate choice of words to bring to public consciousness.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Ballmer doesn't grasp it. He thinks in terms of macro economical strategy. Earning software money by selling hardware.

He thinks the iPod is just one big software dongle.

The point is the product itself and it's qualities, in terms of hard and software. Apple makes no distinction between hard and software.

You can't win against iPod if you think in terms of squirting video to others via a brown device you can hardly afford to produce.

You must think in terms of very concrete features that add to quality, while adding as little to production costs as possible.

You have to think in terms clickwheels, aluminium, screen brightness, battery life, thinness, scratches (oh my), album art, clicks-per-action...

And moreover, you have to think like that *as a CEO*.

And when it comes to networking, instead of 'squirting', you have to think in terms of *sharing*, *allowing* others to *browse* your playlists and *request* your content.

That's the kind of networking we'll see from Apple in 2007, I bet.

This Ballmer is such a male chauvinistic pig.