Oprah and Bono to unveil Project red iPod nano tomorrow

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five

Only $10?? Okay, so Apple's profit margin on the nano is, what, 50%? Let's say 40% just to be safe. That means that on a $199 iPod, Apple makes about 80 bucks. By donating $10, Apple is droping just 5% from that, down to 35%. That's lame, Apple; worse for a 50% profit margin.

For the humanitarian saint that Steve tries to show himself as, that's low. Assuming 50% profit margins, Apple could donate $50/iPod and still maintain a 25% profit margin. That's still higher than the industry standard... I think... isn't it 23% or something?

It bugs me when companies claim to be saintly and then make a gargantuan profit off of it.

-Clive

WTF do you think apple just ships you a box of random parts that you've got to assemble yourself? Because that's all you quoting in your "Assuming 50% profit margins".

That said the only reason apple is able to donate as much as 10 bucks WITHOUT raising prices is because of their big profit margins(which are realistically around 30-25%) which are more than competitors.

I love the hypocracy though, apple does nothing all this time, no one says anything, apple does something and now its NOT ENOUGH.

It's like: "Oh you're not gonna donate to charity? That's cool, whatever charity is no big deal. WAIT you are? How much? 10bucks per unit? F**K you man, you friggin cheapskate, I'm gonna buy the competing RED mp3 player. There's none? Oh...well 10 bucks per unit is still bullshit, it's not like it cost more to make a red one. Oh, it does, paying for a die you wouldn't otherwise use does incur a cost, and shipping, and pomotion? ...Well 10 bucks per unit is still bullshit...asshole."

I hope it's a dark deep red instead of some bright red, I was thinking about getting a new nano so if it's nice looking I'll buy it.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman

All this fuzz over a red ipod. The least they could do would be a custom engraving with something relevant to the cause. Or change the color of the click wheel. Just a red ipod is so unoriginal, which is dissapointing coming from Apple.

You don't even know those things aren't true and you're already shitting all over it, classic.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu

Maybe "everyone in the audience today is getting, A NEW iPOD!!!!" (Audience goes wild)

You KNOW that's EXACTLY how it's gonna go down.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    $10??

one dose of HIV/AIDS drugs, maybe, if generic?
  • Reply 25 of 59
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman

You sound so intelligent with your childish insults, I almost don't dare respond you.

But you did respond...lame.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

$10??

one dose of HIV/AIDS drugs, maybe, if generic?

And apple sells millions of iPods. Yeah, millions of doses sure is weak.

Idiot.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

here's a quick mockup

Yeah, I'm Canadian, so I'm probably the only one here who noticed, but that looks more like a Canadian-theme iPod than anything else. Or is that just me, Ecking? Red click wheel would really make a difference (of course, then we could call it a Communist iPod...).

Seriously, though, this is a great idea. Good promo for Apple, and extra cash for AIDS research. AND we get a red nano. Enough of the pastel colours, already!
  • Reply 29 of 59
    some of you are spoiling the positiviity of this potential act of good will by beetchin like old hags.

grow up. and for all of you complaining that apple might not be contributing enough to this ONE particular cause (out of many different charities that ask/receive), how much of YOUR earnings are you willing to give?

uh huh. that's what i thought.

sometimes i wonder if some of you are so genuinely marinated in bitterness, lack healthy productivity/attention elsewhere in your lives, or are simply whoring for post count rises.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    PS - some of you guys really need to think before you post. It's been quite a while since I've seen this level of rudeness in one thread.

edit: whoops, deepkid beat me to it. At least I'm not the only one...
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Cool, my mockup made it to the main article!
  • Reply 32 of 59
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Well, look at the new potential market that could be created here. How big is Oprah's viewing audience? When Oprah pushes a book it goes through the roof,right? She tells a bunch of TV watchers to go and read a book and they do. Wait till she starts plugging this nano. She talks up this charity, and starts chattering about all the good stuff about the Nano. I wonder if it is a weak demographic for the nano. And this nano will give moms a reason to try out an apple product they hear about so much anyway ( I think that women watch this, I killed the TV off in our home a few years ago) and find out that they like it. Now they have a reason to buy those itunes cards in the supermarket checkout lines.

Let's check back in a month on this. I bet you won't be able to find one.

Oprah has spoken!
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801

Well, look at the new potential market that could be created here. How big is Oprah's viewing audience? When Oprah pushes a book it goes through the roof,right? She tells a bunch of TV watchers to go and read a book and they do. Wait till she starts plugging this nano. She talks up this charity, and starts chattering about all the good stuff about the Nano. I wonder if it is a weak demographic for the nano. And this nano will give moms a reason to try out an apple product they hear about so much anyway ( I think that women watch this, I killed the TV off in our home a few years ago) and find out that they like it. Now they have a reason to buy those itunes cards in the supermarket checkout lines.

Let's check back in a month on this. I bet you won't be able to find one.

Oprah has spoken!

Oh Oprah I <3 you , I seriously wish she would run for US president. The world would be 10x better I feel if she was in charge of the good old US of A, well at least shes helping to promote for a charity.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five

For the humanitarian saint that Steve tries to show himself as...

Between the working conditions for Chinese labor, Apple's environmental record, and partnering with companies like Nike and McDonalds, I think it's been clear for a while that Jobs' "humanitarian saint" persona is more bark than bite.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Yes, I have to agree, my first impression of the RED iPod nano certainly looks like it came from Target, or would be sold exclusively at Target stores.

Perhaps a BLUE iPod nano with 3-4 "watchdog" security cameras will be introduced as an alternative Wal-Mart version? Or perhaps a YELLOW iPod nano (for yellow Wal-Mart smiley; NOT as a racist comment), with a charity fund to help Chinese labor camps, er Wal-Mart suppliers?

Ha!

Oh the irony of this post, due to both Wal-Mart and Target being upset over Apple's iTunes video sales. Not so bad to bash them back.

Support industrial hemp: Global Hemp Store
  • Reply 36 of 59
    I don't think Jobs "gets it" when it comes to reducing packaging. Sure the cardboard boxes haved been reduced in size -- and this is great! However, in the case of iPod Shuffle, the cardboard packaging has been replaced with thick petroleum based plastic! The irony is that Al "Global Warming" Gore sits on the Apple board of directors! At least cardboard is more readily recyclable versus plastic that most community recyclers hardly want. An aluminum case would be expensive, buy would most likely get recylced or reused like "treasured" Crown Royal bags! If plastic must be used, I suggest polylacticacid (PLA) made from corn. Apple could certainly be a leader in the adoption of PLA. Even Wal-Mart and Sam's Club are "getting green" with PLA, etc.

Support industrial hemp: Global Hemp Store
  • Reply 37 of 59
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

How about this?!?!? I kind of like it

That looks pretty damn sweet. Though I'd still be ok with it if it had a white scroll wheel, even as 'Canadian' as that might look (those dang Canadians, comin' here, takin' all our jobs, and speaking Canadian... lol).

I just hope it isn't red with a black scroll wheel, that would look bad. And kudos to Apple for donating some $$$ to charity. Steve ain't no saint, that's for sure, but cash is cash and it will help people, regardless. Heck, Gates is probably the most ethically-challenged SOB on the planet (aside from our current President), and no one sane cries about the billions his fund gives to charity, now do they? \

• Reply 38 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    News just in! (I think your first mockup was right DeapeaJay, white on back = white on front)

• Reply 39 of 59
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

News just in! (I think your first mockup was right DeapeaJay, white on back = white on front)

Ah, Bono and Oprah at the Apple Store... perhaps the two biggest icons of 'middle-aged cool', in the same place at the same time. It's enough to make a baby boomer swoon.

Kidding aside, it's a great bit of promotion for the iPod. Steve Ballmer is probably throwing chairs in response as we speak.

• Reply 40 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

Steve Ballmer is probably throwing chairs in response as we speak.

Let's not drag this thread down.