Mac Pro Quadro with Blu-Ray

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The intel Core Quadro chip and Blue-Ray computer drives are both coming out in November. Does anyone know when we can expect a new Mac Pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Blue-Ray computer drives have drm issues
  • Reply 2 of 18
    What are DRM problems?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wpadula

What are DRM problems?

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. Here is a summary of the DRM issue.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wpadula

The intel Core Quadro chip and Blue-Ray computer drives are both coming out in November. Does anyone know when we can expect a new Mac Pro?

The Mac Pro is a very recent machine (official release from August, but available in volume for just one month now or so). I don't think Apple will update it before MWSF 2007, and even that is rather soon for an update. More probable around the end of February.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

Blue-Ray computer drives have drm issues

What specific DRM issues are you talking about?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

What specific DRM issues are you talking about?

As in all DRM is Eeeeeebil.

Meh...content owners are content owners. They are welcome to protect to their hearts' content. If it becomes too onerous (a la Divx) consumers simply wont buy.

BD+/SPDC shouldn't be any more or less secure than anything else. It depends on the implementation. VMs are hackable but are secure when built correctly.

Vinea
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

The Mac Pro is a very recent machine (official release from August, but available in volume for just one month now or so). I don't think Apple will update it before MWSF 2007, and even that is rather soon for an update. More probable around the end of February.

I agree with you but since the Mac Pro only comes in 1 model now with you can configure as much as you like, the Blu-Ray drives could just be added to the configurations page with out any hassle. (And this is what I expect to happen when they become available)

But the chips will probably be added later, around the time you guessed.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    What he means is that if you wish to utilize Blu-Ray for recording you're fine but if you want to playback Blu-Ray movies then you must have a HDCP (encrypted connection) Graphics card and monitor.

Frankly Apple needs to avoid both next gen formats as a standard item. That's what a BTO is for and eventually they'll have BTO options for both drives as they will likely support authoring both in the next Final Cut Studio.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

What he means is that if you wish to utilize Blu-Ray for recording you're fine but if you want to playback Blu-Ray movies then you must have a HDCP (encrypted connection) Graphics card and monitor.

Also true for HD-DVD or iTunes HD movies (of the future) not specific to BD. One might also hope that you could stream your BD movies to a iTV securely even without a HDCP vidcard or monitor.

Vinea
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

too soon for the PPC days but not for X86 systems. By then there may be a new chip set out that works better with the new quad-cores and has more pci-e lanes.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

too soon for the PPC days but not for X86 systems. By then there may be a new chip set out that works better with the new quad-cores and has more pci-e lanes.

Apple has not shown any tendency to change its product update schedule since the X86 switch; witness the MacBook Pro Core 2 delay. Indeed, the introduction of the Mac Pro and Intel XServes themselves were delayed over a month to coincide with an Apple "event"; we should expect them to continue to act that way.

Of course it's possible that they'll sing a different tune with the Mac Pro as it is their highest-end machine, but their history suggests otherwise.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    The number of folks that buy a mac to use as a PC is very small so Apple can afford to keep to its own product schedule to some degree. Of course it can't fall behind too far but their current line up is sufficiently different from most PC offerings that direct comparisons are still not 1-1. This is less true for the Pro since its a tower workstation but the iMac doesn't compete head to head with Conroe towers and the mini is a SFF machine.

Vinea
  • Reply 13 of 18
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I think we will just see a BTO option to the existing Mac Pro in January maybe as a silent upgrade and a small update to Final Cut Studio and then a much larger upgrade to FCS at a later with full support. Just my (2) cents.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Ultimately, so far all the movie studios are not using HDCP, so I don't see what the problem will be with installing a Blu-Ray drive in the second drive bay and using your current non-HDCP monitor.

David
  • Reply 15 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Ultimately, so far all the movie studios are not using HDCP, so I don't see what the problem will be with installing a Blu-Ray drive in the second drive bay and using your current non-HDCP monitor.

David

David the studios don't have anything to do with HDCP. It is a function of the connection. So you must have a HDCP DVI or HDMI enabled connection to view the content. What the studios have the choice on is ICT (Image Constraint Token) which they presently aren't using and won't for some time. This dowrezzes the HD content when delivered over unprotected analog lines.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

David the studios don't have anything to do with HDCP. It is a function of the connection. So you must have a HDCP DVI or HDMI enabled connection to view the content. What the studios have the choice on is ICT (Image Constraint Token) which they presently aren't using and won't for some time. This dowrezzes the HD content when delivered over unprotected analog lines.

Ahh. Umm. Oops.

I'm getting a Mac Pro and a monitor without HDCP, but it does support analogue input (DVI-A, I think it's called) - does that mean if I wire it up with the VGA adapter, it might be able to play HD in the future?

David
  • Reply 17 of 18
    if you guys don't think apple's gonna plug these quad chips into a mac pro as soon as they can, you're crazy!!

they're gonna have 8 core mac pros by january at the latest. those machines are going to be insane!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy

if you guys don't think apple's gonna plug these quad chips into a mac pro as soon as they can, you're crazy!!

they're gonna have 8 core mac pros by january at the latest. those machines are going to be insane!

Let's hope so.