Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard build 9A283

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week released to developers the first pre-release update of its next-generation Leopard operating system since the initial preview in early August.

According to a post on MacRumors, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company on Thursday made available its Select and Premier Apple Developer Connection members Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard build 9A283.

The latest offering is believed to be just the third external build of Leopard, including a subtle Software Update-based revision in September that brought Leopard Preview to build 9A241e from build 9A241.

Build 9A283 delivers "Significant user interface changes to iCal" and "Basic editing in Preview," according to the report. It also adds "new Parental Controls [...] for content filtering, apps, and curfews" and "3D audio cues to indicate locations of items on the screen in the VoiceOver screen reader."

Meanwhile, a separate posting adds that the latest build delivers live*previews*in*the*print*panel, Spotlight Preview streaming in iChat Theater mode, and Quick Look Spotlight support for*PDF, HTML, Web Archives, Text, QuickTime movies*and*sound.

Several known issues reportedly remain with the latest builds of Leopard, which is due for release during the first half of 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Holy capellini!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    woo woo...
  • Reply 3 of 74
    I can't wait to see the changes to iCal. Man, that program has sucked for years.

I hope Apple has tons and tons for us in Leopard. Tiger has been pretty sad...
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Eventually apple is going to put coverflow inside of the finder, and several other views similar to iTunes, including livefolder icon updates for folders with pictures. Also it's going to have the complete path similar to the itunes music store. And have a new look and feel...
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Webmail- this is exactly what I have envisioned for the Finder as well. The other thing I would like to do is add my own columns of information.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    My guess is that you will be able to edit all "user friendly" Spotlight data inside the Finder, as well as being able to add new "keys" (like 'movie genre' or 'projectname').

Also, another guess is that they will be using Core Animation for stuff like "stack files by movie genre".

Yet another guess is they will add another view in Finder: the spider web view. In this view all files are somehow placed in an abstract spider web, each file connected by a line, a black line indicating a strong relationship, and a light grey a weak one. This way you'll be able to browse 'by connection', whatever your connection priorities at that time may be. E.g:

- You type in 'vacation 2006'

- A spider web opens with a nice core Animation tween, containing the following items:

[centre point of web labeled: vacation 2006]

'photos'

'music'

'movies'

'applications'

...because these are the only type of files containing 'vacation 2006',

with applications having a grey line, and photos a black line. (drawn from center point).

- Then you click 'photos'

- The spider web tweens to:

[centre point of web labeled: 'photos of vacation 2006']

'august 2006'

'november 2006'

and some weaker alternative ones:

'me swimming in France'

'best rated photos of vacation 2006'

So basically you end up with a file or folder you can manipulate just like in another Finder view.

Now lets say you end up with 'me swimming in France'. Right clicking gives you the option:

'Find by 'me swimming in France'

Then, the spider web re-opens, with this new criteria.

Gee. I am rambling! sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler

I can't wait to see the changes to iCal. Man, that program has sucked for years.

I hope Apple has tons and tons for us in Leopard. Tiger has been pretty sad...

Apparently they've 'iTunes 7d' the interface, which is sad. I like drawers. The interface wasn't the problem. What it needed was calendar sharing, and that was about all.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    That's some pretty ho hum stuff there. I hope they are working on something that is actually interesting. Better metadata support, FTFF, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail

Eventually apple is going to put coverflow inside of the finder, and several other views similar to iTunes, including livefolder icon updates for folders with pictures. Also it's going to have the complete path similar to the itunes music store. And have a new look and feel...

Coverflow also seems like a natural fit for iPhoto '07, which will most likely come out at MWSF in January.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail

Eventually apple is going to put coverflow inside of the finder

...highly doubtful for reasons I care not to share.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Apparently they've 'iTunes 7d' the interface, which is sad. I like drawers. The interface wasn't the problem. What it needed was calendar sharing, and that was about all.

I am most interesting in seeing iCal get out-of-the box integration with Exchange. Using IMAP in Mail is already very good, but Calendar and Address Book don't integrate well with Exchange; that's one of the big hurdles to using my Mac at work.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland

I am most interesting in seeing iCal get out-of-the box integration with Exchange. Using IMAP in Mail is already very good, but Calendar and Address Book don't integrate well with Exchange; that's one of the big hurdles to using my Mac at work.

Highly unlikely. iCal in Leopard shares it's calendars via CalDAV running on an OSX Server. Unless Exchange implements CalDAV too, which is possible as it's an open standard, but unlikely since it's Microsoft, there's no sharing.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/l...calserver.html
  • Reply 13 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck

That's some pretty ho hum stuff there. I hope they are working on something that is actually interesting. Better metadata support, FTFF, etc.

Those structural improvements are rarely announced for these build update watch lists.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    I would like to see the Finder become a single window app that can easily go full screen.

A single window with multiple panes would make for a much simpler file manager.

I hate drawers.

I'm looking forward to seeing iCal's new interface.

I also hope .Mac has a webCal interface that looks and functions the same.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    What I would like to see is in the Save File dialogs the option to include Spotlight keywords and to select a label color. So it becomes a 1-step process instead of a 2 to 3-step process.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

I would like to see the Finder become a single window app that can easily go full screen.

A single window with multiple panes would make for a much simpler file manager.

Wow, that's like back to XTree on DOS. How about making it green text on black too?
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

the latest build delivers live*previews*in*the*print*panel, Spotlight Preview streaming in iChat Theater mode, and Quick Look Spotlight support for*PDF, HTML, Web Archives, Text, QuickTime movies*and*sound.

Judging from some asterisks, it also apparently delivered that post.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Judging from some asterisks, it also apparently delivered that post.

Ichat theater mode? I can't find crap about it, and I'm a developer. I launch ichat. video conference.. try sharing a video through quicktime, can't do any theater mode or any of that stupid video background stuff steve showed.

I don't know where people are finding these features...
  • Reply 19 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    There's not much to Leopard, on the surface at least. It should be a free upgrade, or at least half price.

And what's up with the Garbage Collection being added to Cocoa? Makes you ashamed to be a Mac developer.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

And what's up with the Garbage Collection being added to Cocoa? Makes you ashamed to be a Mac developer.

It's optional.