Briefly: MacBooks, iSights, iPod shuffle, AirPort Extreme

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Inventory of both Apple's MacBook Pro and MacBook notebooks have run dry at the company's primary European distributor. Meanwhile, iSight and iPod shuffle shipments should commence near the end of the month. And consumers waiting on availability of AirPort Extreme base stations may have to wait a tad longer.

MacBook availability; HP readies Core 2 Duo notebooks

People with ties to Apple's European distribution channels report this week that Ingram Micro, a primary Apple hardware distributor, is reflecting absolutely no inventory MacBook Pro and MacBook notebook systems.

According to those same people, the distributor lists October 31st -- an estimated date not based on privileged information -- as the day it expects new shipments of the systems.

On a similar note, a source with ties to Hewlett-Packard said earlier this week that the PC maker has requested that its third-party resellers pack up their notebook demo units and ship them back to the company ahead of the company's own Core 2 Duo-based notebook launch.

While HP has announced Core 2 Duo-based notebooks, they have largely been available for "pre-order only" up until this time.

Apple, which has yet to make any Core 2 Duo notebook announcements, is expected to do so in the coming weeks. Both the company's MacBook Pro and MacBook lines should obtain Core 2 Duo processors before the holiday shopping season, people familiar with the matter have said.

iSights and iPod shuffle due soon

Meanwhile, Apple's latest product availability update to is retail partners indicated that both iSights and the new $79 clip-on iPod shuffle digital music player are due to begin shipping towards the end of October.

Specifically, the report said iSights may surface in "2 weeks" while the iPod shuffle remains penciled in for "late October."

AirPort Extreme pushed back

On the other hand, shipments of Apple's revised AirPort Extreme base stations have been pushed back from "October" to "December." No further information on this product was a available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    "Apple, which has yet to make any Core 2 Duo notebook announcements, is expected to do so in the coming weeks."

Who exactly expects this? AppleInsider? Steve Jobs? People on the street?
  • Reply 2 of 62
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

Dave.

Dave? ....Daves not here!
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rods5

Dave is here!
  • Reply 5 of 62
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    MacBook Pro revision is in the cards. MacBook ... not too sure.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Is it just me, or has this story been reported 50 times already?
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:

Quote:

Dave is here!

was that lard ass?
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman

"Apple, which has yet to make any Core 2 Duo notebook announcements, is expected to do so in the coming weeks."

People in the know.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman

Cool people.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

I'm here now.

"In other news, we're still waiting for MacBook Pro upgrades..."

There's very little substantive news on the laptops here. I would have thought by now that A.I.'s sources would reveal something about what is to come...like they did in the summer of 2005 when they said the iMac was getting a camera and everybody was like "Really? No way..."
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

I would have thought by now that A.I.'s sources would reveal something about what is to come...like they did in the summer of 2005

But since then, those sources have mysteriously disappeared...

I am aiming to get a macbook sometime next year and I'm intrigued to see how distant they keep it from the macbook pro. I'm hoping they both get core 2 duo around the same time, and the macbook keeps up with technology, rather than lagging a step behind. Basically, hoping that the macbook gets santa rosa not too far behind the macbook pro.

Also, I really would like my iPod shuffle sometime soon, it seems like forever I've been waiting.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    First time we got something that looks like a date:

October 31st.

Coincidentally it is a tuesday.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Looks like other wireless n routers are now being announced. Here's one from Linksys. It looks incredibly ugly, but maybe that's the style the designers were going for (some people like their technology to look really imposing, like it might also be some sort of futuristic death ray)

• Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Looks like other wireless n routers are now being announced. Here's one from Linksys. It looks incredibly ugly, but maybe that's the style the designers were going for (some people like their technology to look really imposing, like it might also be some sort of futuristic death ray)

Everything Linksys does is incredibly ugly, but it works.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Oh, is THAT what that is? I thought it was a roomba attack droid that killed rogue roombas. Good to know it does wireless, too.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Awful looking router up there
  • Reply 17 of 62
    I like the look of AirPort, but it has got to be said, it seems evry review you see there has been reiability issues!!... so IMO Linksys all the way, ugly, but the easiest to use, and best working (never had a problem with mine in 2 years)
  • Reply 18 of 62
    "hello dave! is dave there please?"

"wanna buy a peg dave?"
  • Reply 19 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Homestar06

Is it just me, or has this story been reported 50 times already?

It's just you, and it has been reported 50 times before.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

I'm here now.

"In other news, we're still waiting for MacBook Pro upgrades..."

There's very little substantive news on the laptops here. I would have thought by now that A.I.'s sources would reveal something about what is to come...like they did in the summer of 2005 when they said the iMac was getting a camera and everybody was like "Really? No way..."

You're assuming that they HAVE sources, and that they don't guess like every other rumor site does.