GPS monitoring on iphone

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

There has been much talk about the upcoming iPhone which I also think is a given.

Recently there has been some talk that the iPhone will have GPS built in. This is due to the fact that some revealing strings hav e been found inside iPhoto that point to GPS tagging and therefore , since the iPhone will include a camera, the photos could be mapped onto a Google Maps picture.

This is all fine, but what I REALLY want Apple to do with the GPS, besides routing and Photo tagging is to IMPLEMENT A GPS DEPENDANT iPhone beahaviour mechanism.

Cell Phones are the most annoying gadgets in the world.

They ring whenever they shouldnt, carry anoying ringtones, and turn us all in drones. Also they ring when we're driving , which should be plain out proibited.

What Apple should do is to implement a GPS Behaviour System that would.

- Automatically silence rings when in the vicinity or inside of sensible Points of Interest.

For example when it detects you're entering a Cinema or Hospital or other user defined GPS points it automatically goes to silent mode or vibrating mode.

- Automatically shuts down or silences when driving ( IT DETECTS YOU'RE TRAVELLING OVER 4 MPH and that you-re on a road and it assumes you re driving)

- Cjhanges behaviour and messaging dependant on your location.

For example .(o when you're at home it changes the ringtone, voice messaging or whatever you want to a home setting.....when you 're at work or its vicinity it changes the ringtone !!! voice mail message or whatever to a work setting.

This would be really cool. A Llcation dependant behaviour.....

What do you think...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

... What do you think...?

That would be very very cool.

But it's never going to be on a Rev A iPhone; perhaps in 3 or 4 years of iPhone development.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Or you could...I don't know...expend a few calories per week doing this yourself. As a bonus, you get to flex your brain cells and actually think for yourself about the propriety or necessity of turning your phone ringer on and off.

Then again, I guess you're right: why make a simple moral decision when corporate America can devote billions of R&D dollars so that we don't have to think for ourselves.

• Reply 3 of 33
    I would like the cinema idea, though the over 4 mph is kind of slow don't you think. I can run that fast and every once in a while get biking up to 40 mph...25 is pretty easy for me, and on roads hwere you are going that slow a cell phone shouldn't be a problem ringing, so maybe have 25 be the limit?

Otherwise I would like all these ideas. Also though to find out where your cell phone is if you lose it, you could find it via google maps, or if it is stolen have the cops find it nice n easy.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

I would like the cinema idea, though the over 4 mph is kind of slow don't you think. I can run that fast and every once in a while get biking up to 40 mph...25 is pretty easy for me, and on roads hwere you are going that slow a cell phone shouldn't be a problem ringing, so maybe have 25 be the limit?

Otherwise I would like all these ideas. Also though to find out where your cell phone is if you lose it, you could find it via google maps, or if it is stolen have the cops find it nice n easy.

Yes, the speed calculation is wrong. Let's say 25 the lower limit.

That stolen recovery method is brilliant !!!!

I think Apple could do wonders with a GPS Behaviour iPhone
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ

Or you could...I don't know...expend a few calories per week doing this yourself. As a bonus, you get to flex your brain cells and actually think for yourself about the propriety or necessity of turning your phone ringer on and off.

Then again, I guess you're right: why make a simple moral decision when corporate America can devote billions of R&D dollars so that we don't have to think for ourselves.

As Einstein would say " I only commit to memory things that I cannot find elsewhere"
  • Reply 6 of 33
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

But what if you're a passenger in the car?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Disney....yes Disney came out with a phone recently (I saw the commercial yesterday), that has a locator on the phone. At any time the parents can see where there kid is just by hitting the phone with a signal. It shows a map and shows the location of the phone at that time. If this was around when I was a kid, I would of been in some serious sh!t lol. Kids these days just don't have it like we used to (not that im that old) im 22, but sh!t come on, this is getting rediculous.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Do you really want to use your phone on your bicycle while you're going downhill at 40mph?

Maybe the best way to stop these inconsiderate boors is public humiliation. If they so desperately want to hold their conversations in inappropriate places, then let them. But train a video-capable phone on them and put it on YouTube. Hey, if they don't mind if you're listening in, then why should they mind if the whole world can listen to their drivel and laugh at what they consider so important that they have to talk about it here and now?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I thought of another GPS behaviour.

Smart lists.

Imagine that your address book is GPS sensible.It loads on the top of the screen ONLY your most dialed out numbers from that location. Of course there will be a learning period , so that after say, a week, the address book smartly preselects your most called contacts as you move about...

When you're at work , it should learn all your called professional contacts....

As you travel to another place, say home, it begins to move your "home contacts" to the top of the list....

So that in each location you're in , it always shows at the top the GPS tagged contacts from your location....

Is this usefull ? I think so....
  • Reply 10 of 33
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Come on guys, GPS will work only outside. When you under roof (or trees, or in shadow of tall buildings, or mountains) - no signal, no coordinates. It might work if you come close to window (assuming you don't have skyscraper right in front of it). When you at your desk and there's 10 floors above you this thing will be completely dead.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Even when you in car - you will have to place your phone on top of dashboard, so it could see satellites.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM

Come on guys, GPS will work only outside. When you under roof (or trees, or in shadow of tall buildings, or mountains) - no signal, no coordinates. It might work if you come close to window (assuming you don't have skyscraper right in front of it). When you at your desk and there's 10 floors above you this thing will be completely dead.

Yes, but some chipsets already workk indoors. The SIRF III based can pick a asignal almost anywhere.

Be as it may, the loss of signal could mean that you're inside a radius where the workplace is. There is no need to pinpoint location, just have a broad idea of where you are... As I see it.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

Do you really want to use your phone on your bicycle while you're going downhill at 40mph?

I said I do go 40 mph, just to show how bad a 5 mph "call limit" or w/e you want to call it would be. I could probably powerwalk that fast. Or just walk. I would use it if I have, say a bluetooth set on, while going 25 on my bike. SImple as talking while biking then. If I was on the phone and started going 40 I would probably be saying "oh shit i hope i don't wipe out on this gravel"
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM

To an extent that's true. That's why I think the GPS as a chip shouldn't be used. Instead use a combination of an inertial navigation system and cell phone towers to plot position. Cell phone towers have signal most everywhere and for the places when there is no signal it switches to inertial navigation.

I believe that an inertial navigation system would use less space/power than a GPS module, and that tracking position using cellphone towers is now built in with the 911 requirements.

Come on location services! Outside Japan that is.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk

To an extent that's true. That's why I think the GPS as a chip shouldn't be used. Instead use a combination of an inertial navigation system and cell phone towers to plot position. Cell phone towers have signal most everywhere and for the places when there is no signal it switches to inertial navigation.

I believe that an inertial navigation system would use less space/power than a GPS module, and that tracking position using cellphone towers is now built in with the 911 requirements.

Come on location services! Outside Japan that is.

So are you like talking about triangulating a persons positions based on 3 cell phone towers? Nice and all but in the country it would be difficult to use.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Well yeah the country is a bit of a problem, but that's why I proposed combining it with an inertial navigation system which essentially takes your last known position and tracks how far you've moved from it to give you your current location.

This solves the no signal GPS/no mobile reception problem.

GPS lacks signal in many of the same places mobile reception sucks or doesn't exist. Indoors, underground, and so on. Outside GPS is fine, but most of the world that buys modern mobiles also has reception - Canada and the US are fairly unique in the developed world because of simple size making it hard to cover with cellphone towers.

GPS takes care of that but that really is a fairly small subset of users and locations. The other places where reception is weak or not there GPS is also blocked.

Now I don't know off hand how big/power hungry an inertial navigation system is, but I can't see it being more then a GPS module. And it solves location problems GPS doesn't help with, well doing at least an ok job where GPS would help.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk

Well yeah the country is a bit of a problem, but that's why I proposed combining it with an inertial navigation system which essentially takes your last known position and tracks how far you've moved from it to give you your current location.

This solves the no signal GPS/no mobile reception problem.

GPS lacks signal in many of the same places mobile reception sucks or doesn't exist. Indoors, underground, and so on. Outside GPS is fine, but most of the world that buys modern mobiles also has reception - Canada and the US are fairly unique in the developed world because of simple size making it hard to cover with cellphone towers.

GPS takes care of that but that really is a fairly small subset of users and locations. The other places where reception is weak or not there GPS is also blocked.

Now I don't know off hand how big/power hungry an inertial navigation system is, but I can't see it being more then a GPS module. And it solves location problems GPS doesn't help with, well doing at least an ok job where GPS would help.

Yah I suppose it would work better than GPS, ESPECIALLY in Europe where everything is so close.

The thing I am worried about is someone hacking my phone and finding out where I am all the time...mayhaps im living in a Windows world a bit still?\
  • Reply 18 of 33
    why not combine a system of inertial and gps monitoring for where you are.

Then this could be overlayed onto streetmaps so you can find your way around easier when your out in a new place

stu
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley

why not combine a system of inertial and gps monitoring for where you are.

Then this could be overlayed onto streetmaps so you can find your way around easier when your out in a new place

stu

I was thinking about that too, but I think it would be too much drain on the battery life. What do you guys think?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

So are you like talking about triangulating a persons positions based on 3 cell phone towers? Nice and all but in the country it would be difficult to use.

if Apple is a smart company, as I believe it´s the case it will NEVER build features that are dependant of the cell phone operators (other than terminating wireless calls, that is).

Why ? Because they are the WORST corporations on Earth. Much worst than the music industry.