Apple's Jobs slams Zune, says player poses no concern

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 155
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman


    A hummer.





    Is that because of the "squirting" thing?



    ...Oh. You mean that kind of Hummer? My bad...
  • Reply 42 of 155
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman


    Lover's lips analogy is just plain wrong.

    A lot of the interest in iPod stems from the prestige that (used to) comes with it.



    A correct analogy would be: would you want a ferrari, if everybody else had one?



    Yes. Ferraris are great cars. If you could get a Ferrari at the same price as a Ford Focus, wouldn't you buy the Ferrari too?
  • Reply 43 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman


    Lover's lips analogy is just plain wrong.

    A lot of the interest in iPod stems from the prestige that (used to) comes with it.



    A correct analogy would be: would you want a ferrari, if everybody else had one?



    A red Ferrari or a brown Pinto?

    Let me think.



    I agree to some degree but Apple has continued to come out with new hotness every few months that even make their older iPods look inferior.

    There is prestige in having the latest and greatest iPod.
  • Reply 44 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater


    What I find interesting is does someone take the time to comment about something they are unconcerned about?



    No, they take time to comment about something stupid journalists, analysts and investors are worried about.
  • Reply 45 of 155
    The iPod has brand appeal. This is a big deal. It's the reason why people plunk down a lot of money for shirts with animals stiched into the left breast, which aside from the animal, are hardly different from other shirts. The problem for iPod competitors, though, is more serious: the iPod is not only "designer," but it's the cheapest player on the market.



    No amount of features is going to compel more than a few early adopters to buy Zunes. I'm with Jobs 100% on this one. All the Zune is going to do is take over the WMA player market, which in the end will just fade away.



    In summary, the Zune will achieve two things:



    1. It will cost Microsoft several billion dollars



    2. It will cannibalize the WMA market, and later will erode the WMA market completely as MS mismanages the development of future Zune products while the sliver of market they once had goes out and buys iPods.



    I am not convinced that MS has any good people at the helm anymore. With Xbox, they are just lucky that Sony has taken a little too long winding up for tha haymaker.
  • Reply 46 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht


    Mr. Job's repeated inferences to girls and seduction make me think he has a strong female interest in his life... someone that affects him to a degree that he really can't stop thinking about her, his analogies albeit understandable, don't really sound like ones from a techie!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


    Maybe his wife?



    His wife is pretty hot for an older woman.

    I tried talking to her at the Fifth Ave. store grand opening but her bodyguard very rudely interrupted us.
  • Reply 47 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk


    I don't know. I bet some girls will like Ballmer's approach: "Hey, babe, let me squirt ya one".



    That's the best one I've heard on this site in quite a while.
  • Reply 48 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel


    The iPod has brand appeal. This is a big deal. It's the reason why people plunk down a lot of money for shirts with animals stiched into the left breast, which aside from the animal, are hardly different from other shirts. The problem for iPod competitors, though, is more serious: the iPod is not only "designer," but it's the cheapest player on the market.



    No amount of features is going to compel more than a few early adopters to buy Zunes. I'm with Jobs 100% on this one. All the Zune is going to do is take over the WMA player market, which in the end will just fade away.



    In summary, the Zune will achieve two things:



    1. It will cost Microsoft several billion dollars



    2. It will cannibalize the WMA market, and later will erode the WMA market completely as MS mismanages the development of future Zune products while the sliver of market they once had goes out and buys iPods.



    I am not convinced that MS has any good people at the helm anymore. With Xbox, they are just lucky that Sony has taken a little too long winding up for tha haymaker.



    I agree that Zune 1.0(re-branded Toshiba Gigabit) will only be successful in canabalizing the WMA market.

    However the Zune project is very closely tied to their more successful X-BOX franchise.

    Don't be surprised if Zune 2.0(designed and built by MS) looks more like the PlayStationPortable(they have to copy somebody).

    Such a device would be a more formidable threat to Apple and Sony.



    The iPod is a moving target and for the near future MS will be playing catch-up to Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella


    MS will be playing catch-up to Apple.



    hasnt this always been the case?
  • Reply 50 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v


    Yes. Ferraris are great cars. If you could get a Ferrari at the same price as a Ford Focus, wouldn't you buy the Ferrari too?





    OK, OK, Lets get real here.



    2007 Ford Focus: MSRP : $ 15,530 (and you are right, thats all tricked out)



    2006 Ferrari F430: MSRP Price Range: $168,005+ (and right again, the cheapest model)



    Zune portable media player with 30 GB: $250.00



    iPod portable media player with 30 GB, Ships: Within 24 hours $249.00



    Share buds??? Hell, just give me two of those iPod things, I'll GIVE one to my GF.



    Talk about a hummer........
  • Reply 51 of 155
    oh yeh, for the radio on the zune, dont the origional ear buds have to be used so the radio can work?
  • Reply 52 of 155
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe


    I think you missed the part where Microsoft told OEMs that they would no longer be able to license Windows to include as the OS on their PCs if they included Netscape as the browser on their systems.



    That came later, about the end of of IM 3. And it wasn't that they couldn't license Windows. That would have killed MS.. The threat was that MS would no longer share information about the new versions with those companies before they came to market, giving those companies a competitive disadvantage.



    Quote:

    Broadband was far less common and downloading Netscape was a non-trivial effort for typical home consumers. In the business world, it was cheaper and easier to deal with one company for OS/browser configuration and support than two.



    In those days people bought these things at their friendly neighborhood software store, of which there were more than there are now. Otherwise, as I did, they ordered it from the site, or by phone. And for those who did download it, programs were much smaller than they are now.



    Quote:

    I think Microsoft could cut into the iPod's sales, if they could provide Windows software good enough to discourage people from downloading/installing iTunes. But since the iPod is a hardware package, you just include the software with the hardware. With broadband being common today, getting updates is far easier.



    That's a different story. But before that happens, the consumer must WANT the product. If they can't be convinced that they MUST have it, then they probably won't want it.



    With so many people wanting, or owning, iPods, it will be difficult to convince a large part of that buying public to get a Zune.



    Rignt now, both colleges and corporations are using iPods for official use, that shows that it is popular enough to have become a serious "toy". This is what MS's products are used for. But with the iPod already there, and being used sucessfully, it has gotten that official nod as well.



    I agree with the analysts. Zune will mostly cut into other MS music technoligies. Like the Sandisk players. They have almost 10% of the marketshare here in the US. But while that has grown from 0%, so has Apple's. So Apple now has a bigger share than it did before Sandisk began its push. All of Sandisk's marketshare has come from other players than Apple's. Likely, the Zune will do the same.
  • Reply 53 of 155
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I'm not sure a Zune that is a PSP copy would be a good idea. Although it may appeal to some people here, the majority of people do not play games, and its hard to make a general purpose games and video and music player that isn't too large to be used as just a music player... Of course, we can be sure a PSP rip-off will come, but I doubt it'll be under the Zune brand. Something like XBox Unwired
  • Reply 54 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101


    First off, I personally wouldn't touch a Zune with a 10 foot pole. But other people, with the great price and seemingly new and interesting features might.



    Great price? It's the same price as iPod, wouldn't a great price be cheaper?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101


    By linking its program with the very trendy, very cool MTV...



    How is it linked?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101


    Well, yes, this is true, but as-a-whole the quality control of the iPod has decreased dramatically.



    What exactly is wrong with the latest nanos and iPods? They seem pretty awesome to me.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101


    What happened to the wall jack, now requiring an extra purchase of 30 dollars?



    Good point (although the price dropped more than that), but does the Zune come with one?



    Actions and words aren't mutually exclusive. Jobs talking trash doesn't stop the tech guys from doing their work.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman


    A correct analogy would be: would you want a ferrari, if everybody else had one?



    For most people? Yeah. People like to be like everyone else. A few snobs may avoid iPod because it's too popular, but most people like to jump on the bandwagon.





    And as people often fail to mention in these threads, the best selling mp3 player in the world right now is the NANO. Tinier, cheaper. And Zune has nothing to compete with these. At this point, Zune can't make much of a dent simply because they aren't making the model that most people want.
  • Reply 55 of 155
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider


    ...the iPod, which turns five years old on Oct. 23...



    Sweet! I had no idea the iPod shared a birthday with a really good friend of mine 8)
  • Reply 56 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater


    What I find interesting is does someone take the time to comment about something they are unconcerned about?





    He was asked about it during an interview... Come on dude, think before you post...
  • Reply 57 of 155
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman


    Lover's lips analogy is just plain wrong.

    A lot of the interest in iPod stems from the prestige that (used to) comes with it.



    A correct analogy would be: would you want a ferrari, if everybody else had one?



    Um, YEAH I would, actually! Are you kidding?!? 8)



    To think otherwise is just wishful thinking on the part of Microsoft's marketing team. They desperately need some FUD to use against the iPod, so its the "Oh, you've been popular for so long you're not so cool anymore" line.



    Thing is though, Windows and Office haven't been cool, in, well, FOREVER (if they ever were), yet they still dominate their respective markets, now don't they? Yet somehow I don't hear the MS marketing hacks bringing THAT up, eh?



    'sides, the iPod, even after 5 years, is still about 1000x cooler than dem brown Zunes. MS, as a company, seems to have a hard time coming up with cool products because its not in their DNA to do so. Xbox is about the only cool thing they've made in the past decade (and they can thank Bungie for that, not MS). Apple does cool on a regular basis.

    .
  • Reply 58 of 155
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder


    And as people often fail to mention in these threads, the best selling mp3 player in the world right now is the NANO. Tinier, cheaper. And Zune has nothing to compete with these. At this point, Zune can't make much of a dent simply because they aren't making the model that most people want.



    That's very true, and often overlooked. The midrange iPods sell the best, i.e. the Nano, and Zune is trying to take on the upper end (and less popular) part of the market.



    As a result, even if MS executes perfectly, Zune still can't take much share away from Apple. I'd also agree with the analysts who say that the primary victims of the Zune will be the other WMA-compatible makes (Creative, Samsung, iRiver, etc) not Apple.



    And those makers are probably going, "Gee, thanks for the knife in the back, Microsoft. We supported your format and this is the thanks we get?!?"



    If anything, Zune may actually HELP Apple long-term, by having a chilling effect on others getting into the non-Apple side of the mp3 player market. Maybe someone new would've had the innovative answer to the iPod that MS needed. Now, we might never know, since MS is eating its own young here, as it were. \



    .
  • Reply 59 of 155
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder


    MTV is very cool and trendy? I thought it stopped being cool and trendy sometime in the early 90's. Has it come back around or something?



    Nope, it hasn't.



    .
  • Reply 60 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella


    I agree that Zune 1.0(re-branded Toshiba Gigabit) will only be successful in canabalizing the WMA market.

    However the Zune project is very closely tied to their more successful X-BOX franchise.



    Xbox hemorrhages money out the ass to the extent that if Vista doesn't do well, Xbox will disappear. If the Zune people are shooting to be as successful as Xbox, they don't have much future.
Sign In or Register to comment.