Easy way to delete past appointments in iCal?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to "select all" appointments before today and delete them in one shot in iCal. I tried Command+A, no luck. I had to individually click each appointment and hit the delete key. This is pretty painful because I use iCal to set up reminders as to which channel to watch on TV at what time and I end up with too many appointments.

Related question: how much space does each 'event' or 'to-do' occupy?

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I think that there is an option that will delete all appointments after a certain time. Check the preferences.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The auto delete is in the advanced section of iCal preferences. I find that it is not very useful because it will delete all your events once they are at whatever time/day limit you selected. There needs to be a field that allows you to select a group or class of events that you want to auto delete. Like I want to always keep a record of doctor/dentist appointments but delete sport/PTA/movies. Maybe in the next iCal update they will make this happen.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You could always make an Apple Script in Automator. It has commands for iCal that will Get the specified items and then delete them if you want. This seems like a great solution if you have the time to create the script.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thank you all. I found the preference to delete past events of a certain age. The Automator script seems to be a better idea. I have never used Applescript or Automator before. It will be a new experience for me

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt

Thank you all. I found the preference to delete past events of a certain age. The Automator script seems to be a better idea. I have never used Applescript or Automator before. It will be a new experience for me

Cheers

No problem. I love Automator. It's fun to mess around with.