usb cam on ichat

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
anyone know how to get a generic (dynex) webcam to work with ichat? it says cam not connected but I use macam and it shows the video so I know its working.

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 12
    i tried that earlier this evening but the only thing i can get it to show me is the screen shot. i also tried macam which shows that it works but will not allow it to work with ichat.

anyone reccomend a cheap webcam that will work?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Did you install Macam's QuickTime component?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    i thought i did.... maybe not tho... do you mean copying the folder to quicktime, because i didnt do that... but i will now.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    i just tried copying it to the directory and still nothing. any suggestions?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Where did you copy to?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    the user/library/quicktime..... thats all it said to do and i didnt have other folders in there. is there another folder?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    are there any revelations on this topic? I want to get my gf a webcam for her laptop - I have an iMac with the isight camera....can I get her anything that would work?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap

are there any revelations on this topic? I want to get my gf a webcam for her laptop - I have an iMac with the isight camera....can I get her anything that would work?

Well what kind of computer does she have?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Dell...about 2 years old...? Windows XP, USB - isn't that all that matters?

Edit:

Oh yeah - I guess you wanted to know if it was mac/PC, huh? haha, oops
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Yeah. Well, anyone webcam will work, really. The easiest way to get cross-platform video chat going is Skype.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Skype's video quality sucks. For a good video chat, I recommend using Yahoo Messenger 3 BETA for video (it doesn't support audio yet) and running Skype for audio chat.