Briefly: Reflections on some time spent with Zune

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

boy, you sure are upset i don't agree with you, huh?

No, I have no idea what would make you think that. You sure you understand what those smilies mean?

Quote:

wait wait wait, i'm just stating my opinion here. i said that it sounds fanboyist and lazy and that's it. to me it's just lazy, not to mention unfair, to write down an article for a device when you didn't just have enough time and battery life to check it out.

That makes no sense. We're talking about an unreleased product that few people have any access to. You honestly think that just because his access was more limited, he shouldn't have written at all about it? Somehow his facts somehow become untrue and his opinions become biased?

And you still keep ignoring the fact that this "biased" and "fanboyist" review has a lot of positive things to say.

Quote:

regardless of what it says, and regardless of the time the battery lasted, i can think whatever i want to think about the reviewer.

And we can point out your bias and paranoia. Cheers.
  • Reply 102 of 115
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

wait wait wait, i'm just stating my opinion here. i said that it sounds fanboyist and lazy and that's it. to me it's just lazy, not to mention unfair, to write down an article for a device when you didn't just have enough time and battery life to check it out. relax mel.

who's having problems with simple things, huh? just an opinion. what the article says is clear. but regardless of what it says, and regardless of the time the battery lasted, i can think whatever i want to think about the reviewer.

I'm pretty relaxed. I didn't say anything strident. You seem to be upset with the whole thing.

You can think anything you want. I don't disagree there. I'm just trying to understand why you think that, when the article wasn't the review you are saying it was. It was basically just a: "I was handed this device, and I tried it out. Here's what happened."
  • Reply 103 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

No, I have no idea what would make you think that. You sure you understand what those smilies mean?

That makes no sense. We're talking about an unreleased product that few people have any access to. You honestly think that just because his access was more limited, he shouldn't have written at all about it? Somehow his facts somehow become untrue and his opinions become biased?

And you still keep ignoring the fact that this "biased" and "fanboyist" review has a lot of positive things to say.

And we can point out your bias and paranoia. Cheers.

oh whatever dude. it's just a review by some nobody and i'm not spending any more keystrokes on it. it's just my opinion, it's not that hard to grasp. it's cool.
  • Reply 104 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I'm pretty relaxed. I didn't say anything strident. You seem to be upset with the whole thing.

You can think anything you want. I don't disagree there. I'm just trying to understand why you think that, when the article wasn't the review you are saying it was. It was basically just a: "I was handed this device, and I tried it out. Here's what happened."

if you really want to understand why i think that the reviewer is lazy and fanboyist i will explain it again, just not to be rude. i think that if the review had said "the zune's battery cell was not fully charged" it would have made a big difference, because with the review as it is, you just have no idea if the battery just lasts very little or if the device was not fully charged. to me it's just a lazy review, and one that tries to make the zune look bad in the aspect of battery life. really, i dont care much about it, i just thought that the reviewer's choice of words could have been more explicit. that's all. okay i'm done with this subject.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    Quote:

if you really want to understand why i think that the reviewer is lazy and fanboyist i will explain it again, just not to be rude. i think that if the review had said "the zune's battery cell was not fully charged" it would have made a big difference, because with the review as it is, you just have no idea if the battery just lasts very little or if the device was not fully charged. to me it's just a lazy review, and one that tries to make the zune look bad in the aspect of battery life. really, i dont care much about it, i just thought that the reviewer's choice of words could have been more explicit. that's all. okay i'm done with this subject.

Ok, I understand your point.

I'll leave it at that.
  • Reply 106 of 115
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

if you really want to understand why i think that the reviewer is lazy and fanboyist i will explain it again

If it's any consolation, I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to call it fanboyist, but as it stands the article does seem pretty pointless.

It told me only two things that I didn't already know, they are pretty minor, and since I haven't been following the Zune that closely, it's possible that one or both of these things had already been mentioned elsewhere:

1.) The casework is more like "hard rubber" than "plastic".

2.) The back of the Zune says "Hello from Seattle" on it.

On the battery front, whilst I agree that reporting the fact that the battery ran out is not biassed, it is accompanied by the statement that the battery was "far less robust than an iPod's". If you didn't have the time to use the Zune in several different usage scenarios from fully charged in all cases, you have no authority to be stating the battery is "less robust than an iPod's".
  • Reply 107 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

If it's any consolation, I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to call it fanboyist, but as it stands the article does seem pretty pointless.

It told me only two things that I didn't already know, they are pretty minor, and since I haven't been following the Zune that closely, it's possible that one or both of these things had already been mentioned elsewhere:

1.) The casework is more like "hard rubber" than "plastic".

2.) The back of the Zune says "Hello from Seattle" on it.

On the battery front, whilst I agree that reporting the fact that the battery ran out is not biassed, it is accompanied by the statement that the battery was "far less robust than an iPod's". If you didn't have the time to use the Zune in several different usage scenarios from fully charged in all cases, you have no authority to be stating the battery is "less robust than an iPod's".

You can look to the spec's. In one way it is, and in another, it isn't. No word on what the WiFi does to it though.

http://www.zunescene.com/
  • Reply 108 of 115
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

it's just a review by some nobody ?

It wasn't a review, just some simple reflections based on short, casual usage.
  • Reply 109 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

It wasn't a review, just some simple reflections based on short, casual usage.

Exactly. Yet there are still complaints that the guy didn't run it through a freaking laboratory.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

What really turned the company around, however, was the release of the first ever "killer app." This was VisiCalc, the original spreadsheet application, which was released in 1979.

That is not the whole picture, the Apple II was way nicer than the TRS-80 (even with the 8" floppy drive on the TRS-80). My high school had a Wang mini-computer, which was replaced by a pair of TRS-80s and a PET, but once the Apple II arrived nobody touched those old computers.

It was more fun to program, had more games (which were easy to copy with a pair of floppy drives), and it just had a more friendly feel to it (kind of like the IPod). For me, the PET would have taken over from the TRS-80 had the Apple II not arrived, it was almost as nice as the Apple II.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

VB is going away in the PC world as well. MS is depreciating it. Two years from now, and by by.

Unless Microsoft is doing away with Access along with custom Excel formulas, don't count on it.
  • Reply 112 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Unless Microsoft is doing away with Access along with custom Excel formulas, don't count on it.

It's not my idea, it's theirs.
  • Reply 113 of 115
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

It's not my idea, it's theirs.

Show me where this info came from. I say total BS.

Dropping VB for the Mac makes sense to them. Dropping in their Windows suite does not make any sense. VBA is one of the reasons why no other office product can't touch Office.

Is Microsoft still trying to figure out how to move VBA 7.0 to VBA.NET (or something similar)? Yes. But they have no intentions of dropping it out of Office.

Dave
  • Reply 114 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Show me where this info came from. I say total BS.

Dropping VB for the Mac makes sense to them. Dropping in their Windows suite does not make any sense. VBA is one of the reasons why no other office product can't touch Office.

Is Microsoft still trying to figure out how to move VBA 7.0 to VBA.NET (or something similar)? Yes. But they have no intentions of dropping it out of Office.

There may be subtleties here. It's true as far as I remember with respect to Office for Mac, but I don't remember if it's being dropped in the Windows version. I think it was announced by MS:MBU during WWDC06 that VBA was not going to be in the next version of Office for Mac. AppleInsider had an article about it. I need to get to work, so I can't dig up the article, but it shouldn't be hard to find.
  • Reply 115 of 115
    Yep, Microsoft want you to use VSTO (http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/tool/vsto/default.aspx )

VBA is in the next version of Office for Windows but only 32bit. There were various reports of MS execs saying the version after that though dropping VBA in favour of VSTO derived .net managed code. I presume their dropping COM too finally.