Os X 10.9

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I heard that the OS X 10.9 update is referred to effectionately by the internal development team as "Liger".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    umm - okay.

Do you mean 10.4.9 ?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    No, MacOS X 10.4.9 is Tiger just like 10.4.0 through 10.4.8. And like 10.4.1 through 10.4.8, it would concentrate on improving performance, compatibility with new hardware, and bug fixes. these are not the things of new nicknames. MacOX 10.5 is Leopard. MacOS X 10.9 is so many years into the future that it is most unlikely that its nickname has been chosen.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I think he mistyped, as RobM pointed out already.

10.4.8 - Tiger

10.5 - Leopard

10.4.x - the bridge between Tiger and Leopard = Liger

Get it?

A liger is, by the way, a lion/tiger hybrid in the wild, not leopard/tiger, but it's close enough.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

I think he mistyped, as RobM pointed out already.

10.4.8 - Tiger

10.5 - Leopard

Get it?

A liger is, by the way, a lion/tiger hybrid in the wild, not leopard/tiger, but it's close enough.

Lol...maybe he did mean Liger, 10.9.

He must have gone to MacOSRumors...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Funny, a troll...

Can someone please shove a wand in his nostril?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Liger is also the biggest cat there is. The crazy thing is that they are sterile, and can not reproduce. Although neither can a mule which is a horse, and donkey hybrid.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Yeah Ligers are frickin huge. I've seen other wierd hybrids too like whales and dophins and crap. I was reading something on the naming scheme for OS X and I thought "hmm, I wonder what other big cat names they will come up with?"
  • Reply 8 of 16
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Why not Tigard?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Get it?

Why would Apple use the term for a lion-tiger hybrid to denote a leopard-tiger hybrid?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    ::headdesk::

You understand the concept of informal nicknames for things, right? Note use of phrase (if misspelled) "being affectionately referred to..."

Not official. Not public. Someone's cute joke.

I vote for a lock on the grounds that all the life has been sucked out of this thread, anyone with me?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    AYE! *Raise Hand*
  • Reply 12 of 16
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Does this mean os X.9 will have magical abilities?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    There' nothing quite like an ambiguously misunderstood joke to get the ball rolling on a thread. I'm thinking if posting some more "out there" jokes just to get all the pendantic crankiness out of people. If only everyone were this correct in real life.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana

There' nothing quite like an ambiguously misunderstood joke to get the ball rolling on a thread. I'm thinking if posting some more "out there" jokes just to get all the pendantic crankiness out of people. If only everyone were this correct in real life.

Mr. Me's reply is probably the funniest yet. I don't think he has a sense of humor.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Notwithstanding the joke, which is rendered totally unfunny because of that unspeakable movie, I doubt there will ever be an OS 10.9, ad it will certainly not be named either Liger or Tiglion (since the gender of the parents matters in the hybrid). I bet there's something in a secret basement in Cupertino that will become "OS 11" or "OS //" that is quitely being developed, at least conceptually. I bet they won't get past OS 10.7 before it comes out or possibly even 10.6, which would have nice symmetry with System 7.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    This really is serving no purpose whatsoever

Liger. Tiglion. Tionger. big scary cat-like creature.

Who knows. who cares.

locked!

b.