Two-fold jump in Mac interest since Intel switch - survey

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    iTV is Apple just dipping its toe in the water. With their stores of cash and clout, they can afford to put time and money into a potential failure like iTV. Mind you, they don't have Microsoft Money, so they're not about to price the iTV at a loss.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

A recent ChangeWave Research spending survey found that 37 percent of respondents say they?re more likely to buy a Mac computer now that Apple has made the transition to Intel processors.

I have seen this first hand. All of a sudden, more people are asking me about Macs. Seriously. Just because of this Intel thing. I guess it really shouldn't be surprising with all the friggin' advertising Intel does. They've got everyone convinced that you gotta have "Intel Inside"(C)(TM)(R). And if it's not a pentinnium, it's not a real computar! Well ok now it's Core and Cintreeeno. I'm starting to think that Apple should go for co-marketing dollars -- only on TV, but I would hate to have my computer all riced out with intel and ati and whatnot stickers on it. But honestly, if they do the cultish intel jingle, maybe more people will buy. And maybe they should put something on their website that says "Apple recommends OS X Professional". The average idiot will probably go for it. It's professional!!!! One of my friends annoyed the hell out of me when he just HAD to install WXP Professional(!!!!1) on his laptop (which had WXP home). There was no benefit to doing so. Then his desktop's WXP install hosed itself and he had to reinstall. Uh oh... can't active now because he installed that copy/key on the laptop. Hahaha. I was chuckling to myself behind his back.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    loose /= lose.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    If Steve Jobs thinks it will sell, it will almost certainly sell, no matter how it looks to the average person. Some things everyone thought no one would buy:

.Mac for $100

Procare

iPod for $399 when it came out

$10 movies without even getting the DVD sold 125,000 copies
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Desktop computers are suffering a decline in sales accross the board. This not just with Apple. Laptops are the hot ticket right now and this proves promising for Apple because twice as many people now are choosing Apple over Wintel providers. This increase is admitedly most likely due to the intel switch, and I wish Apple future market share gains across their product line. I am ready for a Microsft replacement as, I am sure, many others are as well:-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

A recent ChangeWave Research spending survey found that 37 percent of respondents say they?re more likely to buy a Mac computer now that Apple has made the transition to Intel processors.

The figure is more than double the 19 percent who said they had gained interest in purchasing a Mac in June 2005, when Apple initially announced its plans to switch microprocessor suppliers.

They survey of 3,046 ChangeWave Alliance members also found that Apple has gained significantly in notebook purchases for the past 90 days, up 3 percentage points to a new all-time high of 12 percent.

"Since the initial rollout of the Intel Macs, Apple?s share has climbed steadily -- from 4 percent in January 2006 to 12 percent currently," the firm wrote in its report. "We do note that Apple?s share of desktop purchases over the past 90 days (7 percent) declined 4 points."

Going forward, 18 percent of participants said they plan to purchase a Mac desktop in the next 90 (up 4 percentage points) while 17 percent say they plan to buy a Mac notebook (down 2 percentage points).

"But the most astonishing finding is that 37 percent of respondents now say they?re more likely to buy an Apple PC because of the Intel chip," the firm said. "The huge, ever-growing pool of consumers who report they?re more likely to buy a new Intel Mac looks like a monster ChangeQuake in the Consumer PC market."

ChangeWave noted that the vast majority (86 percent) of those who own a Mac with an Intel chip are "very" or "somewhat satisfied" with their computer.

Of the various retail stores in which consumers can purchase PC- and consumer electronics-related products, 6 percent of respondents said they preferred to buy from the Apple Store. The figure is up 2 percent from ChangeWave's previous survey and represents the second largest retail momentum shift next to Amazon.

Meanwhile, the firm said iPod ownership is up about 2 percent since June 2006, led by an increase in iPods with video capability. Looking ahead 90 days, 8 percent of survey respondents said they plan on purchasing an iPod -- again, up 2 percent.

At the same time, ChangeWave said iTunes has made gains (4 percent) as the top music download service, with 24 percent of respondents saying they currently use the service. Musicmatch remained a distant second with 5 percent usage.

Interestingly, only 14 percent of respondents said they?re likely to buy Apple's new iTV set- top box when it becomes available early next year. 69 percent said they are unlikely to purchase the device, while the remaining 17 percent did not know or had not yet made up their mind.

• Reply 26 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee

Hmmm, why not ask these "37 percent" why they were more likely to buy an Apple and what the purchase timeframe was?

The information these companies release to the public are but a tiny fraction that goes into the reports that their customers pay for. There are dozens of areas they report on, and can result in a 100 page report.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur

Never heard of it = no iTV sales.

I bet if you had asked the same thing about the iPod 6 months before it hit the stores, your would have gotten the same reponse.

Let's see how things look once its actually on the shelves.

I am skeptical about this "more likely to buy and apple" talk. How many of these intentions actually convert into sales?

And if I was say 15% likely to buy a Mac before the intel switch and now I'm 40% likely to buy a Mac, i'm still "more likely" to buy a mac, but chances are I'll end up with a PC.

It isn't that individuals are 15% likely to buy. 15% of individuals are likely to buy.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave

But what proportion of Intel Mac owners have actually installed & regularly use Windows on their Macs? Is this just a comfort thing?

McD

They don't have to. It's the possibility that matters. They know they can if they want to.

But, it's more than just that. Intel is a familiar name, we see it all the time on Tv. That comforts people. It makes the Mac more familiar, and friendly.

Some time (ages) ago, I used to talk to people who thought that only Nikons were "professional". Even though they were, and would continue to be, rank amateurs, they wanted one because they could buy the 2,000mm lens.

Would they ever do that? No way. but it was an excuse. It made them feel good.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

This should come as no surprise. Although iTV has been senselessly defended on this board before, consumers can smell a mutt from a mile away. Maybe Jobs will come to his sense and completely revamp or dump it.

It hasn't been senseless. It isn't even out! We don't know exactly what Apple has in mind.

Let's at least wait for it to appear. there might be some strategy that will be unveiled.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr

Desktop computers are suffering a decline in sales accross the board. This not just with Apple. Laptops are the hot ticket right now and this proves promising for Apple because twice as many people now are choosing Apple over Wintel providers. This increase is admitedly most likely due to the intel switch, and I wish Apple future market share gains across their product line. I am ready for a Microsft replacement as, I am sure, many others are as well:-)

But Apple can't afford to just be known as the "laptop company". They need strong desktop sales as well. Particularly if their home content delivery strategy is to succeed.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler

If Steve Jobs thinks it will sell, it will almost certainly sell, no matter how it looks to the average person. Some things everyone thought no one would buy:

.Mac for $100

Procare

iPod for $399 when it came out

$10 movies without even getting the DVD sold 125,000 copies

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the original G1 iPod priced at $499 (USD)?
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Yes. a dime a megabyte.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

$300 equals no iTV sales.

For everyone who thinks the iTV is a failure, here is my fathers response in an email to me after he watched the keynote (something he never does):

Quote:

I just gotta have iTV - wow - what a product - just what I have been looking for.

Something tells me he won't be the only one.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

No. It was $399 for the 5 GB. Six months or so later, a 10 GB version came out for $499.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Desktop computers are suffering a decline in sales accross the board. This not just with Apple.

You've misunderstood. The report said that Apple's share of desktop sales has declined 4 %age points over the last 90 days. If this is reflected in wider, more thorough market analysis by people like Gartner, maybe Apple will be forced to wake up and get a clue about desktops.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:

Desktop computers are suffering a decline in sales accross the board. This not just with Apple.

Apple switches to Intel, and their share in the notebook market skyrockets from 4 to 12 percent.

Apple switches to Intel, and their share in the desktop market drops.

Something is clearly wrong with the desktop line.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS

Apple switches to Intel, and their share in the notebook market skyrockets from 4 to 12 percent.

Apple switches to Intel, and their share in the desktop market drops.

Something is clearly wrong with the desktop line.

Apple announced the first Intel products in January, several weeks before the pro Book was in the hands of consumers. The iBook replacement didn?t even come in that quarter. And it is barely a month or so since the pro desktop model shipped. You shouldn?t draw any conclusions based on differences from one part of this particular year to another.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

You've misunderstood. The report said that Apple's share of desktop sales has declined 4 %age points over the last 90 days. If this is reflected in wider, more thorough market analysis by people like Gartner, maybe Apple will be forced to wake up and get a clue about desktops.

I think several of us have misunderstood this point. Here is the relevant paragraph:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AI

"Since the initial rollout of the Intel Macs, Apple?s share has climbed steadily -- from 4 percent in January 2006 to 12 percent currently," the firm wrote in its report. "We do note that Apple?s share of desktop purchases over the past 90 days (7 percent) declined 4 points."

and from MacWorld:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWorldUK

"Apple has gained significantly in laptop purchases for the past 90 days - up 3 points to a new all-time high of 12 per cent," the analysis reveals. However, desktop sales have declined slightly, they claim.

Given this, it seems to me that Apple has gained significant laptop share (4% since January) and lost 0.4% (NOT 4%) desktop share over the last 90 days. Otherwise how could a 3% 90 day increase be considered "significant" while at the same time a 4% loss be described as "declined slightly".
  • Reply 39 of 56
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

I would agree, though they have some nice models the hole they have in the the midrange is gigantic. While Apple held onto its 4% marketshare billions of monitors have been sold that are !7',19" 20',23" plus the new tvs. For Apple to say you want a midrange Mac you must sell that display of yours so you can have a iMac isnt to smart. They need to box up those iMac componets into a another box and sell them along iMac. They are missing the mid range by playing the all in one game. Monitors almost last forever. They need a Macintosh computer in the midrange with a expansion slot and a gpu.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    First of all, 37% is NOT more than double the earlier 19%. Just a math error, but ought to be corrected.

Second, the article says "only" 14% plan to buy iTV when it's released. But notice the percent of alliance members owning apple laptops is 12%, if I am reading the article correctly. Surely an initial buy-in creating a larger group of alliance members with iTV than the group with apple laptops warrants more than an "only"?