Do you use Bluetooth?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just curious as to who here actually uses bluetooth, and if so, how/why/do you like it? (I'm considering buying a bluetooth USB uplink for my iBook)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I use it all the time, to sync my t68i and to send SMS messages via my mac. Works great, can't wait for iSync to get out of Beta...
  • Reply 2 of 36
    I have used it once.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    i've never used it.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    I have the D-Link adapter. I use it as a modem with my Timeport 270c and my Treo 90. I'm planning on switching to T-Mobile and getting a T68i as soon as my Verizon contract is up.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    i've never used it. (similar, no?)
  • Reply 6 of 36
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I just added the Belkin BT dongle to my wife's iBook and it works great with the Palm Tungsten (built in BT) for wireless HotSync, including iSync for Address Book and iCal.

The only thing I have not been able to do is wireless web browsing on the Tungsten via bluetooth and the iBook. I am still looking for a solution.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bill M:

<strong>The only thing I have not been able to do is wireless web browsing on the Tungsten via bluetooth and the iBook. I am still looking for a solution.</strong><hr></blockquote>

why would you want to if the iBook is right there?

No I don't use Bluetooth... and probably won't until there is an internal solution for the TiBook (and a reason for me to get it in the first place...wireless earphones.. etc...)
  • Reply 8 of 36
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Paul, 3 simple reasons:

1) the Belkin bluetooth dongle provides a theoretical 100m (300ft) range, which sounds far fetched, but in practice allows the Tungsten to perfom a HotSync from almost anywhere around my (small) house.

2) given the info above, it would be "kewl" to be able to browse the 'net from a pocket device around the house.

3) because the possibility is there and solutions on the Wintel side are already available
  • Reply 9 of 36
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bill M:

<strong>1) the Belkin bluetooth dongle provides a theoretical 100m (300ft) range, which sounds far fetched, but in practice allows the Tungsten to perfom a HotSync from almost anywhere around my (small) house</strong><hr></blockquote>

wow i didn't realize you could get that kind of range with bluetooth...
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I use a D-Link on my iBook to connect to my T68. Works great, just needs a few more things on the sw side (saving of text messages, etc) before it's perfect. You should see some of the looks I get in lectures when I'm downloading the lecture notes via GPRS!
  • Reply 11 of 36
    I haven't used it yet. But I intend to with a Sony-Ericsson P800 Bluetooth Multimedia Telephone, a Bluetooth keyboard and a Bluetooth dishwasher.

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Bluetooth is currently no more than a "kewl" toy.

Unless you seriously need to be online with your laptop while on the road (in which case it would be very useful) - but there are probably very few people to whom that applies.

is it worth $50 bucks so i can sync my T68i wirelessly instead of via infrared? not really.

so i can walk around town using my T68i with a wireless headset instead of the corded earbud? not really.

so i can sync my palm wirelessly instead of via infrared or via a USB cradle? not really.

Right now, other than being online on the road, which i admit is actually useful (in the sense that it actually allows something to be done which could not be done before), bluetooth just allows you to do the same things you did before, but a little "kewler."

is that worth $50 (for the USB dongle)?

probably not.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    [quote] is it worth $50 bucks so i can sync my T68i wirelessly instead of via infrared? not really. <hr></blockquote>

Sure, but how are you going to sync it to your Mac when your Mac doesn't have infrared? Aaaahh yes. I got a T68i for Xmas, and I got a BT handsfree headset and a D-link adapter with it. So far I use BT with the headset, and I use it to sync with Address Book in OS X, and I also use it to transfer files (ringtones, pictures) from the Mac to the phone. I can also use it to dial the phone from the Mac (T68i Dialer), and use the phone as a BT modem.

And since you brought up infrared, Bluetooth is just like infrared - but better. BT has a much greater range and is not limited to line of sight.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>

Sure, but how are you going to sync it to your Mac when your Mac doesn't have infrared? Aaaahh yes.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Alright, fine. if your computer doesn't have infrared, then its useful. too bad, but useful.

[quote]<strong>

So far I use BT with the headset, and I use it to sync with Address Book in OS X, and I also use it to transfer files (ringtones, pictures) from the Mac to the phone.

all of this can be done via infrared, if you have it.

[quote]<strong>

I can also use it to dial the phone from the Mac (T68i Dialer), and use the phone as a BT modem.

come on; dialing the phone from your mac? who cares? i guess it's cool, but the bottom line is, so what.

as for the BT modem; that may be useful only if you really need it while on the road.

[quote]<strong>

And since you brought up infrared, Bluetooth is just like infrared - but better. BT has a much greater range and is not limited to line of sight.</strong><hr></blockquote>

honestly, when syncing my phone, if i have to put the phone facing the infrared port or facing some other random direction, or go put it in another room, who cares? i guess it's cool, but it's not really adding any value.

Once again, BT may be "kewl," and may actually be useful if A) you don't have infrared or B) you really need to be on-line on the road. Other than that, (which i suspect is most people), it's just a neat, overpriced, toy.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    A friend of mine has a Palm Pilot, and does stuff on it and then can shoot it over to a HP printer which has blue tooth on it or his computer. it's very cool!
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Snazlord, in your post above you said you can use a headset with IR? You overlooked that one when you said you can do it all wirelessly with IR instead of BT.

The other thing BT has is more security over IR. When you start "beaming" away, it can end up on someone elses device. I know, just by sending someone my V card at a conference, another Palm user was standing nearby and received it too, without me knowing or wanting him to receive it.

I agree it is the new kewl thing to have. But it is the replacement for IR technology solutions. And buying the T68i was the highlight of my year as far as electronics is concerned.

One more thing. Saab has integrated BT into the handsfree phone of then new 9-3. You get in your car, dont have to take your phone out of your bag, or off your belt, and it automatically connects with the handsfree speaker phone built into the car. And it accepts advanced voice commands. Now that is cool.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ringo:

<strong>I have the D-Link adapter. I use it as a modem with my Timeport 270c and my Treo 90. I'm planning on switching to T-Mobile and getting a T68i as soon as my Verizon contract is up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

hey i'm going to get verizon and i'm wondering can I use the 270c as a modem for my powerbook? mmmm does verizon even use the 270?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I use Bluetooth every day, and if you have a mobile you will too. One day.

Managing SMS from your PC, syncing address book and diary (PISSES over IR I tell you). Having your phone in your bag and getting a nice window pop up on the Mac when you get a message, and then replying with the Mac keyboard has made a difference to this text junky.

And now I have a P800, loading up with images, pictures and ringtones, as well as files. It's more then cool, it's now part of my techsphere. I mean, there's nothing you can do with IR you can't do with a floppy, right Snazlord? Who needs IR, eh?

(as soon as Address Book, iCal and iSync work with the P800 I'll be happier)
  • Reply 19 of 36
    I don't use BT, but i would if :

There were a BT keyboard available (and mouse/trackball).

I'd also prefer built in support rather than a dongle.

I'd also love to be able to sync my iMac and iBook over BT instead of over .mac !!!
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I will get Bluetooth if the Sprint Vision Phone supports it. . .

The unlimited internet bandwidth is cool, but it's the fact that it's actually 3G W-CDMA that sold it to me.