Upgrade after reinstalling OS

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Help! After some quirky occurrences, I reinstalled OS 10.3. Everything seems to be working, but I can't upgrade OS 10.3 to OS 10.3.9. I had downloaded that upgrade and installed it on the hard drive some time ago with no problems. Now when I try to install 10.3.9 on my hard drive, the installer tells me:

"You cannot install this software on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements of this update."

What can I do to get the upgrade to install on the HD?

Oh yes. One more thing: Safari doesn't work either although FireFox does. I get the Safari menus, but they don't open and I can't get a ''New Window".

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Which 10.3.9 updater did you use?

eg: combo updater or other updater (10.3.8-10.3.9)

Also try and see if software update sees any updates at all
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The error message is from the script "preflight" that checks that the machine can run 10.3 and also checks to see if it is being asked to upgrade something that isn't 10.3 - e.g. either 10.2 or 10.4.

This can happen if a receipt was erroneously placed in the Receipts folder, either by an aborted upgrade or using the wrong disk.

Two things to do:

1. Check the Logs in /Library/Logs to see if the Installer.log says exactly what it was that the Preflight script complained about.

2. Make sure that the About This Mac actually says 10.3.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

The error message is from the script "preflight" that checks that the machine can run 10.3 and also checks to see if it is being asked to upgrade something that isn't 10.3 - e.g. either 10.2 or 10.4.

This can happen if a receipt was erroneously placed in the Receipts folder, either by an aborted upgrade or using the wrong disk.

Two things to do:

1. Check the Logs in /Library/Logs to see if the Installer.log says exactly what it was that the Preflight script complained about.

Being technically inept, I'm not sure what I'm looking at; however,

The 'MacOSXupdate 10.3.9.pkg' is in the Receipts folder;

About This Mac indicates: OS X 10.3;

Library/Logs/ do NOT reflect anything relating to the 10.3.9 update;

Library/Logs/ DO show info relating to Safari-

2006-10-15 16:01:42.894 Safari[501] *** -[WebPreferences privateBrowsingEnabled]: selector not recognized

2006-10-15 16:02:27.379 Safari[501] *** -[NSURL _web_hostString]: selector not recognized

2006-10-15 16:02:27.393 Safari[501] *** -[WebPreferences setRespectStandardStyleKeyEquivalents:]: selector not recognized

2006-10-15 16:02:27.394 Safari[501] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[WebPreferences setRespectStandardStyleKeyEquivalents:]: selector not recognized

2006-10-15 16:02:27.578 Safari[501] *** -[NSURL _web_hostString]: selector not recognized

2006-10-15 16:02:27.579 Safari[501] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException' (reason '*** -[NSURL _web_hostString]: selector not recognized') that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 359490 and selector '_updateStatusNow'

2006-10-15 16:03:06.235 Safari[501] *** -[WebDataSource unreachableURL]: selector not recognized

What can I do to make Safari work again?

What is the difference between the Library under "MacIntosh HD" and the Library under "Users"? I checked both and found nothing relating to the error message. The last entry in the Installer Log File was dated November 22, 2005 and referred to Shockwave.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Which 10.3.9 updater did you use?

eg: combo updater or other updater (10.3.8-10.3.9)

Also try and see if software update sees any updates at all

You have a point. I used the last 10.3.9 update, not the combined update. Until your suggestion, I didn't think about the difference. I avoided the combined because I have a dial up connection at home and the combined update is 117 MB. It would take forever to download. I assumed that since I had been incrementally upgrading from 10.3 to 10.3.9 in the past, that those intermediate upgrades would still be viable.

Software update shows: " MacOSX Update combined". But why would this cause the hard drive to reject the update? If this is a stupid question, please bear with me - as I have said before - I am technically challenged.

My office has a T-1 line. What if I downloaded combined 3.9 onto a USB drive and installed it on my home Mac? Would that work?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    It should work with downloading and using the combined update. When you do get it home copy it to the desktop of your mac and unplug and external devices apart from the keyboard and mouse. As these can cause problems with system uppdates.

Also whilst using safari try turning off the private browsing as this may be causing some issues also try downloading the latest shockwave player from adobe and installing it.

Before you try and install the 10.3.9 combo update repair the permissions via disk utility and again after the update. Also if you install shockwave the latest version you will need to do the repair permissions after it again.

I hope this helps
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur

My office has a T-1 line. What if I downloaded combined 3.9 onto a USB drive and installed it on my home Mac? Would that work?

It should work without a hitch. First copy it onto your desktop as

the previous poster suggested.

BUT after you have installed the 10.3.9 combined updater just

run the MacOS software update function again. You will see a lot more

updates MacOS X is asking for. I'd recommend you to jot the names down,

carry this list to your office, and download these items from the

Apple Website manually. Copy them onto your USB drive and there

you go. Hope that helps.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Two things to do:

Mea culpa, Lundy. If you look at my reply to rob05au, you?ll see that I was at fault, not the computer. You tried to fix what seemed to be a computer problem and, unfortunately, it was a user problem. Sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

It should work with downloading and using the combined update. When you do get it home copy it to the desktop of your mac and unplug and external devices apart from the keyboard and mouse. As these can cause problems with system uppdates.

Also whilst using safari try turning off the private browsing as this may be causing some issues also try downloading the latest shockwave player from adobe and installing it.

Before you try and install the 10.3.9 combo update repair the permissions via disk utility and again after the update. Also if you install shockwave the latest version you will need to do the repair permissions after it again.

I hope this helps

I installed the combined OS X 10.3.9 and shockwave and repair permissions . it worked and the hard drive accepted 10.3.9. That also corrected the Safari problem and it works now, too. Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I re-installed Mac OS X 10.3; updated to 10.3.9 (combined) and used ?repair permissions? as suggested by rob05au. Thank you.

Updated all that were listed in ?Software updates? as suggested by Vox Barbara. Thank you.

Got rid of the anchored curser by turning off ?sticky keys?. Thanks, Lundy, that WAS the answer to that problem.

Worked great for a couple of days! THEN, problems that caused me to reinstall in the first place began:

The curser (pointer, I-beam, insertion point) began crawling across the page all by itself in any application. When I tried typing, it would not allow me to keyboard anything in. It also pinged at each movement of the curser -- WEIRD!!!! It was like the space bar was being held down. Good thing I don?t believe in poltergeists.

Another problem, the blue scroll bar could be moved, but it bounced back to its original position when I let go which took the page back to its original position and anything below the first page couldn?t be accessed.

Rebooting, using force quit, checking out each item in ?system preferences?, using ?Repair Disk Permissions?, dumping all previously downloaded apps into the trash, and disconnecting one by one the mouse, keyboard, etc., - and anything else I could think of ? were NO help. Reconnecting my secondary (extended) monitor did stop the problem for about two minutes, but the problem started again. After hours of trying to find the culprit, I gave up, put the computer to sleep, and watched CNN which was just as frustrating.

The next day, I woke the computer intending to go through the reinstallation procedure again, but, lo and behold, NO marching cursor. The computer has been behaving for about a day now. I hope the reprieve is permanent, but I?m not holding my breath. Any suggestions if the problem reoccurs?

Even if you guys can?t offer a solution, it?s great to be able to vent my frustration. Thanks for being there.