Do Macs really have no viruses?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, I've been starting to wonder if this image of macs having no viruses is true? Ive had mine for a few months now and wanted to know if I should look into getting an anti-virus scan and an anti-spyware. Any good ones out there I should look for? Or is it true that there arent any viruses and I shouldnt worry.

Oh and macs are seriously gaining popularity, and doesnt that mean an increase in viruses/hackers/bad things?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Tough one. MacOSX is a Unix flavour, and it is known that the OS is not as vunerable as Windows when it comes to viruses. However, with Macs getting increasingly popular, scripting kiddies might find weak spots and abuse them. Only the future will tell!

Microsoft is getting increasingly familiar with how people can exploit (their) software. Perhaps Apple will suddenly have to play catch-up on that front, when some nasty stuff happens.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Don't believe the 'Macs are only virus-free because they're not as popular' myth. The Mac is rather the poster child at the moment for user-oriented security in an OS. The first blackhat that creates a real, honest to god virus attack for the Mac will be *FAMOUS*. It's been tried, a lot, but never successfully.

Does that mean that they're invulnerable? Of course not. No software is going to protect you against user error, opening a malicious app accidentally, for instance. Crap happens. It just happens a lot less on our systems.

FWIW, I don't own any anti-anything software. Never have, and until I see a reason to, I won't waste the money or time.

And if you really feel like you need anti-virus/spyware software, I have only one bit of advice: avoid Symantec/Norton *like the plague*. I have never seen them do anything but royally screw up a machine. Instead, go grab the free Clam AV.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    See I was thinking its safe now, but eventually itll get worse cause of popularity. but i guess i have nothign to worry about now. Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, just don't be stupid and get all carefree.

Clam AV is a good package, btw. It's something I'll probably adopt at some point down the road.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Kickaha is right. Marketshare does not mean malware (Apache web server as the best example).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    If you ever have copied a home folder over from a Mac to a PC say for back-up and then done a security scan - you always tons of tracker cookies in the home folder say from Firefox or whatever. OK it's not a virus +probably means nothing but I guess thse things do the same on Mac and PC right?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

If you ever have copied a home folder over from a Mac to a PC say for back-up and then done a security scan - you always tons of tracker cookies in the home folder say from Firefox or whatever. OK it's not a virus +probably means nothing but I guess thse things do the same on Mac and PC right?

Which is why I periodically export my bookmarks, erase the preferences for my web browser and then set it back up again.

Of course, now you can just choose to Reset Browser in Safari and Camino, which trashes all those cookies right in place.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kesh

Which is why I periodically export my bookmarks, erase the preferences for my web browser and then set it back up again.

Of course, now you can just choose to Reset Browser in Safari and Camino, which trashes all those cookies right in place.

Why not simply put the cookie playlist to the trash can?