Apple 10/18 "OS X update... Leopard ships next fall."

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Damn! I was expecting MWSF. Next fall is a year out.

Second to last Paragraph.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10...ysts/index.php

Asked about Boot Camp, Apple said that its beta software that allows users to install and run Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac has been downloaded more than 1 million times. The company plans to move forward with integrating Boot Camp into OS X 10.5 when the OS X update code-named Leopard ships next fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Er, Leopard ships in spring.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, sounds like an error to me - when I was listening to the audio, they kept saying spring, definitely.

Aaaaaaand, it's been fixed already:

Asked about Boot Camp, Apple said that its beta software that allows users to install and run Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac has been downloaded more than 1 million times. The company plans to move forward with integrating Boot Camp into OS X 10.5 when the OS X update code-named Leopard ships next spring.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Why does the yankie media always refer to shipping times in American seasons? How the hell is someone in south east mongolia to know what month "spring or fall" (whatever the hell "Fall" is supposed to mean) is in the USA?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Basic geography skills?

I mean, you do realize that spring is spring for the *ENTIRE* northern hemisphere, right? So spring in the US is spring in SE Mongolia. The seasons only flip for the northern vs. southern hemisphere.

Jesus, this is 3rd grade science here...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    It would be cool if it came out on March 24 like Cheetah (Mac OS 10.0)
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon

Why does the yankie media always refer to shipping times in American seasons? How the hell is someone in south east mongolia to know what month "spring or fall" (whatever the hell "Fall" is supposed to mean) is in the USA?

What? Toilets flush backwards in Australia?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

What? Toilets flush backwards in Australia?

they don't actually Ours don't fill up like yours and then swirl down.

Maybe Targon was referring to calling it "fall" rather than Autumn?

I suppose it is a bit silly to say it by season though with the whole North/South hemisphere thing. Then again, Apple is a US company, so they can be US centric. I certainly would prefer it if they said 1st quarter or 3rd quarter.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon

whatever the hell "Fall" is supposed to mean

I think it refers to how the leaves 'fall' off the trees. I agree that international companies shouldn't use colloquial terminology. I had the same problem when l heard Labor Day mentioned in a rumor. Is everyone on the planet expected to learn American history and culture? Sure it only takes a bit of googling but it's unnecessary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dojobi

they don't actually Ours don't fill up like yours and then swirl down.

Uh huh, but it swirls a different direction. I have to say it but your username seems appropriate in this. If you don't get what I mean then you agree colloquialisms are bad.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Uh huh, but it swirls a different direction. I have to say it but your username seems appropriate in this. If you don't get what I mean then you agree colloquialisms are bad.

You've lost me there. My username is just a random bunch of letters put together that I thought sounded good.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dojobi

You've lost me there. My username is just a random bunch of letters put together that I thought sounded good.

Ok but now that I have to explain it, you probably won't find it funny. Y'see jobby is a term in the UK used for poo/crap and dojobi sounds like do jobby meaning to take a crap. I just thought it tied in with the toilet reference.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    haha, might be time to change my name then
  • Reply 12 of 15
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Well, actually this is not completely true. While the Coriolis effect does dictate that there will be apparent counterclockwise acceleration of fluids in the Southern Hemisphere, it is very very small, which is why we only ever really see it in hurricanes (or cyclones/typhoons/anticyclones for all you "fall" haters and "autumn" fanbois). But the forces of the swirl built into the toilet are much greater and totally overcome them.

Rand McNally, however, is very real, and they are finally eliminating the Hamburger Terror.

Check out the Wikipedia article.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Yeah to be honest I never understood what the big deal was about our toilets flushing backwards (e.g. that Simpsons episode) until I actually went to the US and saw that they actually do swirl down over there.

I just did a search on Youtube and this movie shows what I mean about no swirl at all on our style of toilet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfltikFvhWc

I can't believe I actually searched for that on youtube btw
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [English language bore]'Fall' is another term used in Elizabethan England for 'autumn'. It's not an American invention, it's as British as binge drinking and fried Mars bars. [/English language bore]
  • Reply 15 of 15
    The flush on the flush:

http://www.grcblog.com/fullview.php?blog_id=76

And the topic keeps swirling around and around and around...