Will we pay again for Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
if i bought a Mac in november, obviously it will have "tiger" installed in it. and if leopard is available in MWSF 07 will we be able to upgrade for free? .. or atleast with a discount.

or would we have to pay the full charge?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Full charge...I mean...you're getting Tiger 'for free' in a sense. Why would you get a discount on Leopard?

If you feel this is a great injustice, the price to pay is waiting for Leopard before buying a new computer. If you can wait, do so. If you can't wait, what's another 129 bucks?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    129 bucks?! .. oh my god !

oh no!

hmm.. alright
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    how do we know the pricing? $129 was for previous OS's, but who's to say this isn't a bigger upgrade when it comes and is $149? or even better, $79 ?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

how do we know the pricing? ...

It's called experience. The retail price of System 7 through MacOS 9 was $99 US. The full retail price of each release of MacOS X has been $129. If you bought MacOS X 10.0, you received MacOS 9.1 at no extra charge. If you bought MacOS X 10.1, you received MacOS 9.2 at no extra charge.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'd recommend you get your system working just right and wait for Leopard's first revision before contemplating an upgrade. Apple certainly isn't absolved from shipping bugs with their OS. I'm going to start looking at it once 10.5.1 hits. I can hold off a few months to see how fast it hits the ground.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

how do we know the pricing? $129 was for previous OS's, but who's to say this isn't a bigger upgrade when it comes and is $149? or even better, $79 ?

It's true. If Leopard is a "big" update, it could very well be $149 or somesuch.

I think they'll stick to $129, though. And it's not *too* hard to find some 3rd party selling OS X boxes for $99.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    $149 with all new .Mac included

Then everybody has to use it!

• Reply 8 of 9
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    The only OS X update that Apple gave away for free was 10.1, and they probably would have charged for that it 10.0 wasn't such a piece of shit.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron

The only OS X update that Apple gave away for free was 10.1, and they probably would have charged for that it 10.0 wasn't such a piece of shit.

wasn't it only free to those people that purchased 10.0 for something like $49?