Prudential: Apple to release two iPhone models, one with WiFi

Comments

• Reply 121 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

Well, here's the way I look at it. It IS legal to make a copy for archival/personal use if you've purchased the content. It isn't legal to break DVD encryption, but once it's broken you have a legal right to the content. In other words it is legal to have copies of all your DVDs on your computer/iPod, but it isn't legal to break the DRM. So, don't get caught breaking the DRM and you're good to go.

Uh, no.
  • Reply 122 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Problem is, the DMCA is in conflict with the copyright laws that spell out fair use. Many feel that the DMCA is a violation of their fair use rights, and it doesn't look like there's a solid legal precedent ruling in favor of the DMCA over preceding fair use rights.

I side with fair use.

If you read my previous post on this, you will see why there is no law about copyright that is absolute and final.

Congress has the authority to change those laws at will.

If they say DRM has first priority, it does.
  • Reply 123 of 141
    [QUOTE=aegisdesign]So you never want to use your address book whilst you're on a phone call to look up a number. Or look something up in your calendar whilst having a conversation. Or grab an image midway through an email?

I can do that on my Palm. Those are single functions from either area of the device.

I mean by two programs, a word processor and, say, a spreadsheet. Both from the computer side of the device.

Quote:

Bad up until recently. Psion's EPOC was focussed on a keyboard driven PDA. It took seemingly forever to translate that into what was more important in a phone.

UIQ 3 has brought more focus on consistency even if some of it is bad like the huge 'Back' button they seem keen on now instead of the jog dial or better application design in the first place. The UI on the p800/900/910 seems to have evolved in no defined manner. IMHO, worse than even Apple's Metal/Aqua/OS9/Unified UI mess. At least it's all skinnable now on UIQ3 so I guess the first thing I'll be doing is skinning it with a Mac interface. :-)

Ok, I get it.

Quote:

The original Palm UI has always struck me as consistent, free of clutter and well thought out even if the OS underneath was too restrictive and plain old for a modern OS now.

That always seems to be the problem with encroaching complexity. With such small low rez screens it's difficult at best to do it right.

Quote:

Symbian was sort of the opposite way round. Relatively modern OS underneath with a not terribly well focussed UI and some ugly design. I'll see what UIQ3 brings though. The screenshots look not that different from UIQ 2.1.

it always seemed to be organized but simplistic to me. Maybe, from what you've said, it's better now.

Quote:

It's not something I carry around a lot but if I'm out with a bag, it's usually in there and saves having to cart a laptop around. I've SSH and VNC on my p910 so it's quite useful.

I can't relate to that problem.

Quote:

It'd have to be cut down an awful lot. Most of the smart phones have 32-64MB RAM in them with the exception of the Windows beasts that need much more. I'm not sure OSX on a mobile wouldn't be any more appropriate than Windows on a mobile either. It's about time someone concentrated on a UI fit for purpose.

I have a 2GB SD card for my Palm, and so far it seems to be enough. as they're replacable, it shouldn't be too bad over time. They're also getting larger, at least 4GB already is pretty cheap.
  • Reply 124 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

So the fair use argument is DRM content versus content without, not music versus video, as was stated. "Music has an established fair use" isn't true, especially now that CD's are shipping with copy protection.

Ripping an audio CD with any sort of copy protection (even if it is easily bypassed) is no longer fair use, is it not?

Correct.

Look, I understand very well that some people would like to think that once they bought a copy of a copyrighted work, they own the copyrighted work itself rather than just the material it came on. But you don't.

All you own is the box, and the disk itself. Even the notes, if any, are copyrighted, and owned by those who own the copyright to it.

The work on the disk is still owned by it's original owners, defined as those who own the copyrights.

By "buying" the copy, you have agreed, like it or not, to abide by the licensing agreement you have assumed by the purchase of the media the work came on.

And, yes, You have mentioned that these laws may be unenforceable. That may be broadly true. But, that doesn't mean that they aren't in effect, and shouldn't be obeyed.

I'm not happy about the way this has all progressed. but I do take note of the fact that making unauthorized copies, rather than buying more, does deprive those very authors of income.

Yes, this may not be true for archival copies, but most people who break DRM are not really interested in archival copies now, are they? Really?
  • Reply 125 of 141
    Did you seriously just make 4 posts in a row?
  • Reply 126 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

Did you seriously just make 4 posts in a row?

Talk to Sunil, he's made eight!

When I'm away for the day, and read through the posts, I answer them as they come up, as required.

If no one is posting between mine, they will be one after the other.

I like to read ALL the posts. That's the only way to know what other people are saying, if you really care, which I do.

It's not so unusual. It happens to people here all the time.
  • Reply 127 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I have a 2GB SD card for my Palm, and so far it seems to be enough. as they're replacable, it shouldn't be too bad over time. They're also getting larger, at least 4GB already is pretty cheap.

That's just storage though, not main RAM. ie. it's akin to a hard disk in a Mac. Unless the Palm can execute the app in place on the card it has to copy it into RAM first.

The older Psions and Symbian 7 phones used to be able to do that using expensive XIP RAM but not they've switched to cheaper RAM. I don't think they ever used XIP from a card either.
  • Reply 128 of 141
    This thread has become pretty much useless. People click on it wondering about opinions on a possible new phone, and 80% of the posts in here are slandering other posts, and dribble about CDMA, Fair Use, DRM, etc... Can we just call it done, and over with the DRM crap?
  • Reply 129 of 141
    seeing as its so far off topic anyway, i thougth id mention the whole DRM thing as i see it, well thats what everyone else is doing.

a polieman came to our school to give us a talk, then there was a question and answer session about "THE LAW(s)" of the land.

as he had brought up illegal underage driving, i posed him the question "if im out in the middle of nowhere, lets say fishing, with my dad, he has a heart attack or some seizure, and so LEGALLY couldnt drive... could *I* get in the car and bring him to a hospital and save his life WITHOUT being considered a criminal ie being someone who broke the law?"

he replied that i would have broken the law, therefore would be liable to prosecution.

i asked him again to make sure he understood the question, his reply remained the same.

so i asked.." should i therefore let my father die?"

he could not reply, except to say that if i drove the car no matter WHAT the circumstances were, and i was under age, i, if caught, would be open to prosecution.

everyone shook their heads in disbelief.

and the questions stopped DEAD.

my point is that if i have bought a DVD and paid my money for the RIGHT to watch it, i will watch the content of that DVD in any way i wish, i have PAID for the right to watch the content..

what are the studios going to do? come round and stab out my eyes?

it has been established that vhs recording of TV is allowable for personal use, do tvio or other HD PVRs count as the same? yes? my PVR allows me to back my recordings up to computer, and therefore DVD i use these dvds in my home for personal use i watch these recordings at a time of my choosing, in a way that suits me.

IF i choose to go and buy a better quality copy DVD with extras then i will.

but the studios have been paid by the TV network/channel for the right to broadcast the material... should they get paid again and again?

we are paying for the RIGHT to watch a movie.. so when we paid for the RIGHT to watch a movie when we bought a VHS tape we SHOULD still have that right? so why do we end up paying for the RIGHT again when we buy the DVD? shouldnt we hand in our vhs tape and pay LESS money for the DVD? as the RIGHTS have already been paid?

and people seem to imply that "pirates" are greedy!!

not EVERYONE who copies a DVD is a pirate. unless of course the person who said that early in the thread REALLY ment EVERYONE as in the studios AS WELL.!!!? [/sarcasm]
  • Reply 130 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

?"

he replied that i would have broken the law, therefore would be liable to prosecution.

i asked him again to make sure he understood the question, his reply remained the same.

Gandhi always said it best about unjust laws when discussing civil disobedience, in that in objecting to them, one must also take responsibility for breaking them. Gandhi and those like him did not whine about being arrested (actually that was part of the plan) -- they knew the law was unjust, but they also did not seek to undermine the rule of law, but only the repeal of the unjust laws.

So, your dad is dying. Should you drive him to the hospital? Of course, if you can drive, do it.

Did you break a law? Yes, you sure did.

Is your dad's life worth more than getting a ticket? That's up to you to decide, but my father's life is. Take responsibility. What would have happened if, because you weren't really trained in driving, you hit and killed another motorist in trying to get your father to the hospital? Were you then right to break the law? Do you take responsibility?

Anyway, all this griping. Either change the whole process legally (take lawsuits against the companies, etc.), or deal with it. All this whining about wanting to play your DVD. You know something, if you get busted, you were doing something you weren't supposed to. Don't whine about it. Change the law (or the company policy), but stop complaining. You knew the job was dangerous when you took it. If so many people are against it, where're the boycotts? Where are the letter writing campaigns. Where are the lawsuits?
  • Reply 131 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

seeing as its so far off topic anyway, i thougth id mention the whole DRM thing as i see it, well thats what everyone else is doing.

a polieman came to our school to give us a talk, then there was a question and answer session about "THE LAW(s)" of the land.

as he had brought up illegal underage driving, i posed him the question "if im out in the middle of nowhere, lets say fishing, with my dad, he has a heart attack or some seizure, and so LEGALLY couldnt drive... could *I* get in the car and bring him to a hospital and save his life WITHOUT being considered a criminal ie being someone who broke the law?"

so i asked.." should i therefore let my father die?"

he could not reply, except to say that if i drove the car no matter WHAT the circumstances were, and i was under age, i, if caught, would be open to prosecution.

everyone shook their heads in disbelief.

and the questions stopped DEAD.

my point is that if i have bought a DVD and paid my money for the RIGHT to watch it, i will watch the content of that DVD in any way i wish, i have PAID for the right to watch the content..

what are the studios going to do? come round and stab out my eyes?

it has been established that vhs recording of TV is allowable for personal use, do tvio or other HD PVRs count as the same? yes? my PVR allows me to back my recordings up to computer, and therefore DVD i use these dvds in my home for personal use i watch these recordings at a time of my choosing, in a way that suits me.

IF i choose to go and buy a better quality copy DVD with extras then i will.

but the studios have been paid by the TV network/channel for the right to broadcast the material... should they get paid again and again?

we are paying for the RIGHT to watch a movie.. so when we paid for the RIGHT to watch a movie when we bought a VHS tape we SHOULD still have that right? so why do we end up paying for the RIGHT again when we buy the DVD? shouldnt we hand in our vhs tape and pay LESS money for the DVD? as the RIGHTS have already been paid?

and people seem to imply that "pirates" are greedy!!

not EVERYONE who copies a DVD is a pirate. unless of course the person who said that early in the thread REALLY ment EVERYONE as in the studios AS WELL.!!!? [/sarcasm]

I find his answer to be very odd. I can't think of a similar circumstance here where the authorities would prosecute under that condition.

But, your argument is missing the point.
  • Reply 132 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove

Gandhi always said it best about unjust laws when discussing civil disobedience, in that in objecting to them, one must also take responsibility for breaking them. Gandhi and those like him did not whine about being arrested (actually that was part of the plan) -- they knew the law was unjust, but they also did not seek to undermine the rule of law, but only the repeal of the unjust laws.

So, your dad is dying. Should you drive him to the hospital? Of course, if you can drive, do it.

Did you break a law? Yes, you sure did.

Is your dad's life worth more than getting a ticket? That's up to you to decide, but my father's life is. Take responsibility. What would have happened if, because you weren't really trained in driving, you hit and killed another motorist in trying to get your father to the hospital? Were you then right to break the law? Do you take responsibility?

Anyway, all this griping. Either change the whole process legally (take lawsuits against the companies, etc.), or deal with it. All this whining about wanting to play your DVD. You know something, if you get busted, you were doing something you weren't supposed to. Don't whine about it. Change the law (or the company policy), but stop complaining. You knew the job was dangerous when you took it. If so many people are against it, where're the boycotts? Where are the letter writing campaigns. Where are the lawsuits?

There aren't any riots because most people DON"T care about it.

Only a very few, mostly on the computer boards.
  • Reply 133 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

There aren't any riots because most people DON"T care about it.

Only a very few, mostly on the computer boards.

Gotta agree with you there.
  • Reply 134 of 141
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Could you get back to talking about the frigging iPhone already?

Oh, wait. Complaining such as that is already half the thread.

Continue. WGAF?
  • Reply 135 of 141
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Too bad the police officer at the school wasn't a little more intelligent, but he is right about you being libel for arrest for driving you father without a lisence. But that isn't the end of the story.

1. You are breaking the law as an unlicensed driver because in your desire to save your father you might crash into a school bus and kill a dozen kids. That is the reason for licensing drivers. You are taking the risk, but with driving we all are.

2. If you are arrested, a judge decides on bail, so you wouldn't go to jail anyway.

3. A D.A. decides whether to prosecute and so society has another step in which we give a person the leeway to make more discerning judgements about how much of a threat you would be, and so she might decide not to prosecute. It is important for us to vote intelligently for DA's and for those who appoint DA's.

4. If you do go to court, we also have judges and juries to help in determining "guilt" and punishment.

My point is that the system (if it ever works) is designed to deal with legal issues in many layers and to deal with them in sophisticated and nuanced ways so that laws can be upheld in realistic and appropriate ways. The cop is only the first, most superficial layer.

For DRM laws, this sophistication and nuance does create some problems and creates the loopholes that monopolies like MS can exploit and it creates the opportunity for politics to enter the system. The fact is that the origin of our legal system was 17th century England and designed for robbers and highwaymen, not for intellectual property rights. So it is not surprising that it can be used in heavy handed ways. It sometimes needs to be.

Just vote for the right lawyers!!!
  • Reply 136 of 141
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can we keep to the iphone discussion PLEASE
  • Reply 137 of 141
    lol someone lock this thread, this is getting rediculous.
  • Reply 138 of 141
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I really want an Apple smartphone, but unless it is a Blackberry, it really will have no chance in corporate markets where the volume is. As it is, the Blackberry 8800 is pretty much going to dominate the corporate smartphone market until 3G is out. They could maybe kill the Sidekick and possibly the Q....

If Apple basically offers a 3G Sony W850 type phone, I will be happy. This would be the ideal phone for world coverage as Japan already has WCDMA 2100 as does Europe and we are starting to have WCDMA 1900 and possibly soon 2100 depending on whether the FCC ever finally gets its act together and does its job. They could tack on some GSM frequencies for residual US coverage, but frankly a lot of advanced features will never work unless 3G speeds are there.
  • Reply 139 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN

I really want an Apple smartphone, but unless it is a Blackberry, it really will have no chance in corporate markets where the volume is. As it is, the Blackberry 8800 is pretty much going to dominate the corporate smartphone market until 3G is out. They could maybe kill the Sidekick and possibly the Q....

Well, you could point out that Apple has done extremely well for themselves in a very small market. <10% of PC users are using Macs, and yet Apple still makes great profit. Overhead on Cellphones is probably more, but I could still see Apple making profit off of small percentage of users. Think about the huge success of both the Media player and Cell phone markets. Now make a product that fills the needs of both markets...

Finished thinking? Yeah, it'll be HUGE!
  • Reply 140 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN

a) The volume isn't in corporate. The highest selling phones are consumer phones not smartphones.

b) Almost all the Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones based on Symbian OS 9 (p990, m600, N95 etc) come with a Blackberry client, an Exchange ActiveSync client and since later versions of the p910i even they've supported push email via IMAP IDLE. You don't need a Blackberry.

c) 3G has been out a number of years already in Europe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN

If Apple basically offers a 3G Sony W850 type phone, I will be happy. This would be the ideal phone for world coverage as Japan already has WCDMA 2100 as does Europe and we are starting to have WCDMA 1900 and possibly soon 2100 depending on whether the FCC ever finally gets its act together and does its job. They could tack on some GSM frequencies for residual US coverage, but frankly a lot of advanced features will never work unless 3G speeds are there.

No. The WCDMA 2100 frequency America chose is not the same as that used by the rest of the world. 3G phones will revert back to GSM if you take a US phone to Europe and vice versa currently.

Most 'advanced features' work fine with GSM speeds except for maybe video calls where 3G phones just refuse to cooperate if they can't get a 3G signal. They just work slower.

btw. as an aside...

Got my p990 on Thursday. It's quite nice but very very buggy and it comes across as 'unfinished'. Supposedly there's a firmware update end of November. I'd recommend waiting. The camera is great, flip great and it's not as ugly in the flesh as the pictures make it look. However, my carrier (Orange) have messed up the interface with their own theme and icons (it's orange!) and deleted a few features such as the RSS reader. Biggest issues are the butchered jog dial (coming from a p910 it's a step backwards), the constantly crashing contacts program and it no longer locks the keys when you close the flip. MacOSX support so far is non-existent but that's normal. It takes Apple a few months to add iSync support to new phones and usually only because they've been released in the US.

On the whole, I'd rather they'd added WiFi to a p910 than created a whole new phone. I'd guess people not already familiar with the p910i won't have so many issues but it's still not brilliant.

I'll be sending mine back and living a bit longer with a p910i. Maybe in a few more months I'll have another look. Apple, surprise me.