Briefly: holiday Apple hardware tracking for early Nov.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Fresh hardware shipments from Apple Computer should commence within the next week and a half, according to statements from both company executives and those responsible for keeping ties with its reseller community.

During Apple's recent quarterly conference call, chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer maintained that the company's new iPod shuffle will ship "by the end of October."

He was later asked by Needham & Co. analyst Charles Wolf if he had any preliminary indication of demand for the new $79 clip-on player because rumors have suggested demand "could be huge."

"We've been taking orders, obviously, [...] from our online store and from our channels and we're very excited to get shipments underway in a couple of weeks to really test it," Oppenheimer said.

Meanwhile, several of Apple's retail partners waiting on new shipments of the company's MacBook notebook lines were recently told that shipments of "speed bumped" models are currently tracking for the first week of Nov. In particular, Nov. 1 has been mentioned as a potential ship date on more than one occasion.

The Mac maker's primary European hardware distributor ran dry of both MacBook and MacBook Pro inventory several weeks ago. Its US-based distributors now appear to be following a similar trend.

While some had predicted Apple to begin introducing Core 2 Duo notebooks as early as September, AppleInsider reported last month that the Cupertino, Calif.-based company was likely to take some time before it introduced MacBook and MacBook Pro models with the new Intel chips.

It's not that Apple has been dragging its feet, say insiders, but has instead been waiting on Intel for ample supplies of the higher-end Core 2 Duo processors to facilitative its Core 2 Duo MacBook launch.

A quick check of Amazon.com's Core 2 Duo notebook availability indicates that Apple is not the only PC maker in this boat. The majority of Core 2 Duo notebook systems immediately available from the retailer include 1.6GHz, 1.66GHz or 1.83GHz chips, as opposed to the 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz variants.

Similarly, Dell's direct sales channels are quoting customers delivery dates between Oct. 30 and Nov. 3 for higher-end Core 2 Duo notebook systems. HP's lead times are slight further out at Nov. 5.

At a developer forum hosted by Intel in Taipei this week, the chip maker said it has shipped 5 million Core 2 Duo processors since it first introduced the chips 60 days ago. What it didn't say was how many of those Core 2 Duo processors were of the Merom mobile variant as opposed to the Conroe desktop variant.

Apple, which does not rank amongst the top five PC manufacturers worldwide, is still expected to sell over 1 million notebook systems this holiday quarter. But it will need Intel's help to do so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The majority of Core 2 Duo notebook systems immediately available from the retailer include 1.6GHz, 1.66GHz or 18.3GHz chips, as opposed to the 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz variants.

SWEEEEET!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 66
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

The majority of Core 2 Duo notebook systems immediately available from the retailer include 1.6GHz, 1.66GHz or 18.3GHz chips, as opposed to the 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz variants.

Screw the rest.........Send me three of those smokin puppies
  • Reply 3 of 66
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    I'll take one too if it's in the same price range as the other models
  • Reply 4 of 66
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Granted that AI is going to have pro-Apple spin but yea, I can believe that there is sufficient volume for the lower selling iMacs but not quite enough for notebook sales demands.

There's little reason for Apple to drag its feet once they get the volume in.

Vinea
  • Reply 5 of 66
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It was reported during the summer that Intel would slowly ramp and Merom would be in short supply for awhile.

Also it would not hurt for Apple to have a little more quality testing time.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Also it would not hurt for Apple to have a little more quality testing time.

Let's hope there's where the time's been going.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Amazing new products with built-in Mac OS X mobile:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general...ting_year_ever
  • Reply 8 of 66
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Meanwhile, several of Apple's retail partners waiting on new shipments of the company's MacBook notebook lines were recently told that shipments of "speed bumped" models are currently tracking for the first week of Nov. In particular, Nov. 1 has been mentioned as a potential ship date on more than one occasion.

I hope it's not just speed-bumped.

that would suck
  • Reply 9 of 66
    If they don't give the MacBook a Core2Duo I will officially flip out.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:

During Apple's recent quarterly conference call, chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer maintained that the company's new iPod shuffle will ship "by the end of October."

He was later asked by Needham & Co. analyst Charles Wolf if he had any preliminary indication of demand for the new $79 clip-on player because rumors have suggested demand "could be huge."

Looking forward to doing the mini-mini-shuffle. Must be new supplier set-up problems.

Quote:

While some had predicted Apple to begin introducing Core 2 Duo notebooks as early as September, AppleInsider reported last month that the Cupertino, Calif.-based company was likely to take some time before it introduced MacBook and MacBook Pro models with the new Intel chips.

It's not that Apple has been dragging its feet, say insiders, but has instead been waiting on Intel for ample supplies of the higher-end Core 2 Duo processors to facilitative its Core 2 Duo MacBook launch.

I guess Apple liked Intel's "roadmap" better than AMD's, but they forgot to mention the numerous potholes and speedbumps.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    This roadmap is as smooth as a baby's bottom thus far in comparison to the PPC roadmap. Before Yonah did anyone think much of Intel vs AMD?
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:

I hope it's not just speed-bumped. that would suck

At this point how is Core 2 anything more than a speed bump?

There currently is no full 64 bit OS or 64 bit apps.

There is no way to use more than 4GB of RAM.

What the other advantages of Core 2?
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Future proofnes...I may not NEED 64 bit today but I bet it will buy me a few months at the end of the lifecycle whilst I'm waiting for my Mac Book Pro replacement in '09.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:

Faster, cooler, and more power efficient. All three are pretty useful in a laptop if you ask me.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Granted that AI is going to have pro-Apple spin but yea, I can believe that there is sufficient volume for the lower selling iMacs but not quite enough for notebook sales demands.

Vinea

While we weren't trying to put a positive spin on it (anymore than we were trying to point out that the delays aren't necessarily Apple's doing), I'm glad you see -- and pointed out here -- the bit about Merom and the iMac. Pretty much hits the nail on the head from what we've been able to gather.

Best,

K
  • Reply 16 of 66
    let's hope this report is accurate, the wait is driving me insane.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

Faster, cooler, and more power efficient. All three are pretty useful in a laptop if you ask

Merom has been shown to have only slightly better power per watt than Yonah. But I guess every little bit helps.

You could skip Merom all together. The next chip after that will be even better.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    at least this means I can get my MBP before years end?
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

How about double the L2 Cache for each core.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    And 5-instructions per clock maximum, and better implementation of SSE3....

And better memory prefetch algorithms.