Mac attacks rare but rising

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is an interesting news article that was recently posted on CNN: article

Oddly enough, over the past 20 years in owning various Macs, I've never had a Mac virus before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51

Oddly enough, over the past 20 years in owning various Macs, I've never had a Mac virus before.

Neither have I...I think it's safe to say that Macs are still ridiculously safe.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    I just find it a bit weird that having "maybe a dozen" viruses associated with the Mac makes front page news at CNN. What will happen when Vista gets released? 8)
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51

If the CNN piece is to be believed, then hoaxes count as much as real attacks. Symantec, MacAfee, and the other security-oriented software developers who have been living large fixing Windows problems are in a tizzy over Windows Vista's built-in antivirus facility. Afraid (and rightly so) of losing a substantial revenue stream, they have been talking-up the vulnerabilities of MacOS X in hopes of duping the Mac community into buying their wares. CNN is just repeating what these people tell them. Lest there be any doubt, a vulnerability is not an exploit and MacOS X's vulnerabilities are fixed ASAP, giving malware developers no time to exploit them. There are no MacOS X viruses.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Well...I'd still run something. There are free virus checkers on the Mac. Well...ClamAV and ClamXAV that I know of anyway.

Vinea
  • Reply 5 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I had a mac virus back in the early 90s.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by New

I had a mac virus back in the early 90s.

I lied when I said I never got a virus...I also got viruses of the NVIR kind. They were mostly harmless.

The only harmful virus I came across was one that slowed the computer to a crawl and variants of it existed...all I remember was it created an invisible .666 extension in the Extensions folder.

I believe that was the last virus/worm that ever infected the computer...back in 1993?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Note how they try and relate the recent discovery of a Windows virus on the iPod to viruses for the Mac.

And there is the usual and false statement that marketshare means malware.

Symantec's product would have no database for Mac OS X viruses, as there aren't any. So they are trying to sell you a whole lot of nothing.

What's the point of installing a utility that doesn't check for anything? LOL
  • Reply 8 of 15
    in the mid-90's i had an auto-start worm virus on my work computer. that's it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Well...I'd still run something. There are free virus checkers on the Mac. Well...ClamAV and ClamXAV that I know of anyway.

Vinea

You're worried about getting Windows viruses on your Mac? Cause they really don't do much.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Yea. The only reason to run a virus checker on your Mac now is to clean up an Windows viruses that you don't want to spread back to Windows. Maybe from an email that your reply to or forward back to a windows user.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

Yea. The only reason to run a virus checker on your Mac now is to clean up an Windows viruses that you don't want to spread back to Windows. Maybe from an email that your reply to or forward back to a windows user.

Nah... why should I run cycle-stealing useless software to help someone who decided to use the bug-ridden Windows? Every infection they get is another nudge for them to consider using OS X next time.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Linux / Unix in general; how many viruses are there for these platforms? Perhaps a good sign of what may come (or not).
  • Reply 13 of 15
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

If a Mac user sends someone a email from an unknown source, containing a binary file of unknown content to anyone, it is not a virus checker he needs. It's a firm punch to the centre of the face.

C.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage

If a Mac user sends someone a email from an unknown source, containing a binary file of unknown content to anyone, it is not a virus checker he needs. It's a firm punch to the centre of the face.

C.

Relaying malware from an unknown source is only part of the problem. A significant problem is that you may relay an ordinary Office file that you receive from a known colleague. If the file was infected when you received it, it will be infected when you relay it if you don't have antivirus software. Your recipients' IT staffs may flag you as a source of viruses, the fact that MacOS X has no viruses not withstanding. If you work for the same firm, you may find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to send attachments from your Mac.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

I lied when I said I never got a virus...I also got viruses of the NVIR kind. They were mostly harmless.

The only harmful virus I came across was one that slowed the computer to a crawl and variants of it existed...all I remember was it created an invisible .666 extension in the Extensions folder.

I believe that was the last virus/worm that ever infected the computer...back in 1993?

Yeah! I had that one too! I remember, it was a really special feeling. My Mac, has a virus... It took about five minutes to search up the reason on the internet, learn that you had to delete and replace the .666 file with an empty text file and you were rid of the virus.

Or something like that.

It was kindof cool for those 5 minutes though.. "Wow, I have a virus..."