24" iMac: How do I just turn the screen off?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    you could choose a screensaver option that is just a black screen. then set one of the corners (or one of the function keys) to be the screen saver and then either drag the mouse to that corner and TADA or push the function key and TADA
  • Reply 22 of 30
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu

you could choose a screensaver option that is just a black screen. then set one of the corners (or one of the function keys) to be the screen saver and then either drag the mouse to that corner and TADA or push the function key and TADA

That would leave the backlight on. On top of logging more hours of use and consuming more electricity, it traps all of the light (heat) inside the computer.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Blah might have to try out that scripting idea....
  • Reply 24 of 30
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Some of you guys must be looking at pron and want to be able to hit a button when the wife walks into the room, eh?

I use a Cinema Display which has an on/off button. I've rarely ever used it, unless I need to disconnect the display from the computer for some reason. Energy Saver turns it off automatically for me. I don't understand the problem.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    The problem is if the computer is in your bedroom and you want to leave it on when you go to bed - not let it sleep - like to keep yourself on a messenger service etc.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper

The problem is if the computer is in your bedroom and you want to leave it on when you go to bed - not let it sleep - like to keep yourself on a messenger service etc.

Then set your Energy Saver so that the computer never sleeps but the display sleeps pretty soon. Would that not work for what you have in mind?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    There's a couple of scripts available over on www.macosxhints.com Do a search for "display sleep".
  • Reply 28 of 30
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...isplay%2Bsleep

Yep. This script works fine with some keystroke launcher like Butler or QuicKeys. The Darwin "pmset" command can set the display sleep to the same values that the Energy Saver preference pane does, so using "pmset" is much cleaner. Replace the "45" with "0" if you want the display to "never sleep" once you set it back from "0".
  • Reply 29 of 30

I also needed to do this when loading B&W film while listening to music. Turning the brightness down is not enough.

Just go system preferences > screen saver and hit the "hot corners" button on the bottom left.

Select "put display to sleep" for one of the corners, and when you want to switch it off, drag the mouse down to that corner.

Push the mouse or hit any key to turn the screen back on.

Viola!

• Reply 30 of 30

Just hit:   ctrl-shift-eject   all together.