OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Both brilliant and retarded at the same time

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm of two minds when it comes to the layout of OX 's keyboard shortcuts. On the one hand, many of them are absolutely ingenious. On the other hand, many of them are totally unintuitive and borderline useless.

The Excellent

Among Apple's excellent keyboard shortcuts are those that require only one hand to invoke.

Command - Comma (Preferences) - This is absolutely superb. I know of no other OS on earth that has a unified keyboard shortcut scheme to access preferences. This should be standard for all operating systems. It enhances the user's productivity by leaps and bounds.

Command-W and Command-Q - They're so easy to find that I've on many instances accidentally hit Command-Q. Still, I'm not complaining. These combinations make so much more sense that Windows half-baked and straining Alt-F4.

Command-TAB - The application cycling behaviour of OS X makes so much more sense than Windows window cycling behaviour. It minimizes the clutter and makes it far easier to cycle to whichever program you're looking for.

Command-H - Hiding windows is very useful. It's a great way of reducing clutter that would show up on the Dock if I minimized it.

Screenshot shortcuts - These are absolutely brilliant. Windows' Print Screen and Alt-Print Screen are far less intuitive and provide far less functionality (ex save to file) that Apple's shortcuts.

Command-Control-D: Look up in dictionary - I didn't know about this before I started writing this post. This is really cool! Unfortunately, it seems to only work with Cocoa apps like Safari

Eject button - 'Nuff said.

Command-? - Help menu. Very useful.

But some two-handed shortcuts are also very useful:

Command-Option-Eject: This is a hyper-efficient way to put my computer to sleep. I use it every single day, and it's great when I'm running late for work.

Command Semi-Colon: This invokes the spell-checker correct spelling in all Cocoa apps. This is really cool!

The Configurable

Apple lets me add keyboard shortcuts to applications, even non-Apple and non-Cocoa apps like Firefox. I added a shortcut for "Manage Bookmarks" to Firefox that does not exist in any OS's version of Firefox. This is really cool!

The Retarded

Safari's Command-Shift-Square Bracket - This is for cycling between tabs. Firefox's Control-Tab makes so much more sense.

Control F2 - For accessing the menubar. - It look me forever to find this, and I had no idea it had to be activated. This is silly and unintuitive. Apple shouldn't force me to hunt with my mouse for a menubar item. The existing shortcut should at least be turned on by default.

Prompts - Some applications' prompts do not allow me to interact with them with my keyboard. An example of this is the "Do you want to save your document before closing?" prompt. This doesn't appear to be a problem with Apple's internal apps, but there's a lot of third part apps that absolutely force me to use my mouse to click on something. I don't know if this is a Carbon-vs.-Cocao thing.

The Non-Existent

Invoke Context Menu - OS X does not allow me to invoke the right-click context menu without using my mouse. This is in sharp contrast to Windows that has a context menu key in their keyboard. I know you can left-click and hit Control, but his does involve use of the mouse. To be frank, this is absolutely silly.

Maximize - I love OS X, but I've never bought into the idea that I shouldn't enlarge my window to full size. For many applications, including browsers and IDEs, I want the entire screen to be occupied without any distractions. Apple should at the very least provide a keyboard shortcut to show me the "suggested largest size".

Screensaver - There's no such as a keyboard shortcut to invoke the screensaver. This is annoying because there are times I want to put on my screensaver without putting my computer to sleep.

Run - There's no shortcut for me to invoke an application, like Windows' Window-R. This is an annoying omission.

Launch application - This is really cool feature of NeXT-step that Apple took away in OS X. In derivatives such as Window Maker, I could associate ALT-F1 with a program like Terminal, which

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    While we're at it I'd like to note that iTunes 7, to the best of my knowledge, has no keyboard shortcut for bringing main window up after you've closed it. Before 7, it was Command-2.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    The tab switching command bothered me for a long time, but then I discovered that command+shift+left/right arrow key works too. I prefer that to the bracket and it's much more intuitive.

Also with the screensaver, I know this uses the mouse but you can set one of your Hot Corners to turn on the screensaver.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    It's been a common criticism of Macintosh that it virtually (if not completely) requires a mouse.

Microsoft Word really frustrates me as I can't change the zoom with a key combo. Every time I open it the zoom is far too small.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

While we're at it I'd like to note that iTunes 7, to the best of my knowledge, has no keyboard shortcut for bringing main window up after you've closed it. Before 7, it was Command-2.

It used to be Command-1. I'm now using Command-L (Show Current Song) as a replacement.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Non-Existant (for me)

Home - go to beginning of line

End - go to end of line

kinda miss those, simple one key press wonders. I'm sure this apple setup has one somewhere but its probably two keys.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

Run - There's no shortcut for me to invoke an application, like Windows' Window-R. This is an annoying omission.

Launch application - This is really cool feature of NeXT-step that Apple took away in OS X. In derivatives such as Window Maker, I could associate ALT-F1 with a program like Terminal, which

Cannot Quicksilver do these things for you?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

Non-Existant (for me)

End - go to end of line

kinda miss those, simple one key press wonders. I'm sure this apple setup has one somewhere but its probably two keys.

It is two keys - command and left or right arrow.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Non-Existant (for me)

End - go to end of line

Yeah, I know what you mean. I miss Home and End not working properly when I use Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Yeah, I know what you mean. I miss Home and End not working properly when I use Windows.

yeah, and forget alt + print screen for a copy of your screen to the clipboard for easy paste into word or a graphics program...no print screen key...
  • Reply 10 of 20
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Prompts - Some applications' prompts do not allow me to interact with them with my keyboard. An example of this is the "Do you want to save your document before closing?" prompt. This doesn't appear to be a problem with Apple's internal apps, but there's a lot of third part apps that absolutely force me to use my mouse to click on something. I don't know if this is a Carbon-vs.-Cocao thing.

You can turn keyboard access on in the universal system preferences setting somewhere, or the keyboard system preferences. Tab lets you switch between controls, and space activates.

Quote:

Maximize - I love OS X, but I've never bought into the idea that I shouldn't enlarge my window to full size. For many applications, including browsers and IDEs, I want the entire screen to be occupied without any distractions. Apple should at the very least provide a keyboard shortcut to show me the "suggested largest size".

You can add 'zoom' as a custom keyboard short cut in keyboard settings; a hack, but half gets you to your solution. If you're feeling ambitious, you can create an applescript to resize the foremost window to the maximum size, and bind a shortcut to this (a la quicksilver).

Likewise you can do the same to the Safari switching tab issue you were having. Personally I think firefox's ctrl-tab is awkward to press (i.e. alt-f4), I prefer cmd-shift-left/right. Also you can change the ctrl-f2 thing this way too.

And as it was said before, Quicksilver will solve some of your application launching issues.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Home and End go to the top and bottom of the document, not the start and end of a line.

And "Print Screen" is command-shift-3, as it has been since forever.

Command-shift-4 gives you a selection cursor that after you use it to draw a box, the contents of the box are saved on the Desktop as a picture.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

yeah, and forget alt + print screen for a copy of your screen to the clipboard for easy paste into word or a graphics program...no print screen key...

Yeah, and I totally hate never knowing the shortcut key in Windows to exit a program, or to hide all open applications, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Invoke Context Menu - OS X does not allow me to invoke the right-click context menu without using my mouse. This is in sharp contrast to Windows that has a context menu key in their keyboard. I know you can left-click and hit Control, but his does involve use of the mouse. To be frank, this is absolutely silly.

I don't get this really, since for a Contextual menu to work it needs to be in context of where the mouse is positioned. So if you need to position the mouse, you might as well click at that point.

Quote:

yeah, and forget alt + print screen for a copy of your screen to the clipboard for easy paste into word or a graphics program...no print screen key

Command-Control-Shift-3 to copy screen to clipboard

Command-Control-Shift-4 to copy the selected area to clipboard.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    i'm confused by your "prompts" entry: if you get a dialog that says "save" "don't save" "cancel" just hit "s" "d" or "c" and you're good to go.

also, i didn't have to activate the menu bar shortcut.

also, command-tab is no different from alt-tab on windows. it makes the same sense as windows not more.

launch any app by hitting command-space bar and typing the first few letters (spotlight)

i also know that there is a context menu keyboard shortcut, i just can't think of it right now. google around a bit.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

I don't get this really, since for a Contextual menu to work it needs to be in context of where the mouse is positioned. So if you need to position the mouse, you might as well click at that point.

In Windows, the context menu is relative to whatever has focus/is selected, so you can tab or arrow the focus to a word or file and invoke the context menu on it with the menu key. This is extremely useful. Mice are better for somethings and keyboard for others, but there really shouldn't be anything that can't be done with either.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Say I have a folder full of files open and I want to select a bunch. I use the arrow key to select the first file I want then hold shift while arrowing down to the last file I want. Except I was in a hurry and went too far. I want to back off the selection, so I arrow up. Damn. OS X thinks I mean I want to select the file ABOVE where I started, rather than deselect the bottom one. Does this behavior make sense to anyone? More importantly, does anyone know a hack to get it to behave how I'd expect? I installed Path Finder, but can't figure out how to get it to do it either.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Both menu bar and dialogs are utterly useless with the keyboard. You should be able to jump directly into individual menus and activate menu items with confidence.

Compare:

Windows: alt-letter-letter

OS X, after you have dug into Sysprefs so that this is possible at all:

Ctrl-F2-rightarrow-rightarrow-rightarrow- "Ah, that's the combo!" - esc - cmd-opt-ctrl-v

I can only assume they hate people who prefer keyboards.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

How often do you really want a full snapshot of your entire desktop? I have a 30" monitor and usually have half a dozen windows open. Clearly, I would need to edit the image before it would be suitable for placing in a document. So in the real world you are actually dozens of clicks away from having a useable image with the Windows print screen feature. In contrast, using Grab in OS X you can capture a window or a selection area which is very intuitive, at least in my experience.

Of course if you wish you can press Command-shift-3 to save a png of your desktop.

m
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Of course if you wish you can press Command-shift-3 to save a png of your desktop.

or... Control-Command-Shift-3 to copy to the clipboard just like Print Screen.