,Mac Backup is failing---user name or password

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have used Backup from .Mac for years. All of a sudden it will not backup saying "Invalid .mac user name or password". I haven't changed my password and I do not know where to enter a user name or pasword for Backup on the system. Just to be sure I hadn't lost my mind I signed on to .Mac (one password) and downloaded a new copy of Backup to my iMac (another password). Both of these were successful. Any thoughts? Thank you,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flagstaff434

I have used Backup from .Mac for years. All of a sudden it will not backup saying "Invalid .mac user name or password". I haven't changed my password and I do not know where to enter a user name or pasword for Backup on the system. Just to be sure I hadn't lost my mind I signed on to .Mac (one password) and downloaded a new copy of Backup to my iMac (another password). Both of these were successful. Any thoughts? Thank you,

Re-enter your user name and password on the account tab in the .Mac control panel in System Preferences.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Go look at the reports on MacFixIt (http://www.macfixit.com/). Apple is having problems with .Mac. I am getting the same errors as you with Mail instead of Backup.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee

Go look at the reports on MacFixIt (http://www.macfixit.com/). Apple is having problems with .Mac. I am getting the same errors as you with Mail instead of Backup.

I am so glad I cancel my membership.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 11
    While it is not fixed, I am comforted by knowing that I am not alone. My experience with Apple has been first class, but I too am having probllems with passwords in Mail tha last couple of days. I hope we don't find that this is a virus problem. Thanks so much for all of your responses..........
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Apple seem to be in the process of upgrading the .mac serivces and some things are working to great.

I have noticed over time whenever there is maintenance there are always problems of different kinds occuring.

The mail problems may have something to do with the way the .mac mail will look in the future.

I have only come across the asking for my .mac password when using .mac mail via mail.app twice now and all I did to fixit was take the account offline and back on again and it worked both times and is still working currently.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Well, here we are a day later and Backup still cannot verify my password. If no one else is experiencing this, perhaps it is not a generic problem. I do not, however, know how to tell Backup my password or id, so I guess I am forced to wait the solution out.....
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Well, here we are a day later and Backup still cannot verify my password. If no one else is experiencing this, perhaps it is not a generic problem. I do not, however, know how to tell Backup my password or id, so I guess I am forced to wait the solution out.....

Have you tried running Keychain first aid?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Have you tried running Keychain first aid?

No.....I am afraid I don't know how to do that. I opened Keychain Access, but can't figure out how to get to First Aid.....
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

No.....I am afraid I don't know how to do that. I opened Keychain Access, but can't figure out how to get to First Aid.....

Its under the Application title menu.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Its under the Application title menu.

Thanks, I repaired all of the keychains (and there were some that needed repairing) but Backup still has its problems.........
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Thanks, I repaired all of the keychains (and there were some that needed repairing) but Backup still has its problems.........

That sucks. Did you look on Apple forums for fixes or workarounds?

Dave