Is it possible there is more to iTv than meets the eye

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After watching the presentation and reading up on it as much as possible, I am left wondering why is the functionality left to just Frontrow related applications such as iTunes and iDVD? If the system has the ability to send something as large as a movie to my flat screen tv, then why would iTV not be made so as to allow for everything else? Specifically, I would love to have my MBP with my wireless keyboard beaming a website with videos on it to my tv or an email I am writing to a friend on to my tv. This sure beats the heck out of going out an buying a mac Mini and making the proverbial hybrid MacTV we all were discussing six months ago. Think about how great this would be and what a way to further help Mac get into the corporate sector where this could be used for presentations along with a MB or MPB; or better yet, in the classroom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    I'm no expert, but if iTV can do pictures or full motion video, I can't see why it couldn't beam any type of graphical info to your TV. It's just like using your TV as an extra monitor.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    The thing might just be a diskless Mac -- the OS supports that. They could also provide remote desktop functionality and wireless mouse/keyboard support. I do expect more from iTV than was demoed... sure the demo was unusual for Jobs, but showing everything they are working on would be even more unusual.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I have wanted a multi-terminal mac for a long time now - you could get a Mac Pro for your house, and everyone would just use an iTV terminal to log in. It would make support and backups a lot easier.

I wonder how the iTV will interact with user switching.

- will the iTV log into your computer as a special user, or do you have to specify which account to use?

- can all of your accounts share the video libraries? (Can they share audio iTunes libraries now? I know that multiple computers can share when the sharing accounts are logged in, but I don't know about sharing to other non-active accounts on the same computer).

If it is not a special account:

- what if that account is being used at the same time at the computer?

- what if that account is in background mode, and another account is active on the computer

- what if the account is logged out?

The iTV is fundamentally different from the Airport Express, because with the Airport Express you did all the control from the computer - there was no risk of having two controlling entities at the same time.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

I have wanted a multi-terminal mac for a long time now - you could get a Mac Pro for your house, and everyone would just use an iTV terminal to log in. It would make support and backups a lot easier.

I wonder how the iTV will interact with user switching.

- will the iTV log into your computer as a special user, or do you have to specify which account to use?

- can all of your accounts share the video libraries? (Can they share audio iTunes libraries now? I know that multiple computers can share when the sharing accounts are logged in, but I don't know about sharing to other non-active accounts on the same computer).

If it is not a special account:

- what if that account is being used at the same time at the computer?

- what if that account is in background mode, and another account is active on the computer

- what if the account is logged out?

The iTV is fundamentally different from the Airport Express, because with the Airport Express you did all the control from the computer - there was no risk of having two controlling entities at the same time.

e1618978 these are some really great points you raised. I am unclear as to a few things though. Are you suggesting once iTV is linked to my computer and sending info wirelessly, you would have it so as other users log in to watch and/or control the Mac?

Also, why do we want to have more than one controlling entity at a time (that is a question not a challenge)? I recognize the termnal concept, but that seems a it much for this machine. If apple was able to have iTunes and iPhoto broadcast reasonbly well via airport express, one would think the whole computer should be as well. Furthermore, I personally like the idea of having my computer act as the hub and using the bluetooth input devices to control it in addition to the remote control.

I will only raise one fault, and I mean big fault, with your post and it has to do with where you live. Can you guess why? I will give you a hint, it's a four letter word to you and beings with D.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:

Most likely you will have to link the iTV to a library file on your hard drive. I wouldn't be surprised if the iTV created it's own iTunes library file on it's internal drive, copying or mirroring the file you designate.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aniejelow

e1618978 these are some really great points you raised. I am unclear as to a few things though. Are you suggesting once iTV is linked to my computer and sending info wirelessly, you would have it so as other users log in to watch and/or control the Mac?

Also, why do we want to have more than one controlling entity at a time (that is a question not a challenge)? I recognize the termnal concept, but that seems a it much for this machine. If apple was able to have iTunes and iPhoto broadcast reasonbly well via airport express, one would think the whole computer should be as well. Furthermore, I personally like the idea of having my computer act as the hub and using the bluetooth input devices to control it in addition to the remote control.

I will only raise one fault, and I mean big fault, with your post and it has to do with where you live. Can you guess why? I will give you a hint, it's a four letter word to you and beings with D.

I actually live in Durham county, so I am close to Duke than UNC.

You can have more than one controlling entity at one time because the iTV sends commands to the computer at the same time as somebody is using the computer. What I want is multiple iTVs connected to a single Mac, with built in terminal emulation - but maybe you are right and a single iTV would max out the wireless bandwidth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

Most likely you will have to link the iTV to a library file on your hard drive. I wouldn't be surprised if the iTV created it's own iTunes library file on it's internal drive, copying or mirroring the file you designate.

And how is the iTV going to access that file? It has to supply some kind of log-in information, or else the iTV code in the mac would present a security risk, and it can't be a hard-coded password, the user has to be able to set it (or else it is no better than no password at all).
  • Reply 7 of 62
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    With iTV, will the need for a tuner be gone?

If iTV takes content off of your computer and plays it on your TV, who is to say it can not take content off of your TV and play it on your computer?

And if iTV streams television content to your computer, maybe you can directly record onto your computer's hard drive.

But what's the purpose of iTV's hard drive? Is it in case the computer is off, or not in the building/house, and users want to access content without the computer?

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 8 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho

If iTV takes content off of your computer and plays it on your TV, who is to say it can not take content off of your TV and play it on your computer?

And if iTV streams television content to your computer, maybe you can directly record onto your computer's hard drive.

But what's the purpose of iTV's hard drive? Is it in case the computer is off, or not in the building/house, and users want to access content without the computer?

-=|Mgkwho

What I'd really like to know it what modes can your iTV stream videos from your Mac? Can iTV stream videos from your Mac, when your Mac appears to be in sleep mode??
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho

-=|Mgkwho

I am not so sure it is as easy as you suggest. One thing is taking content from a computer and sending it to a device where both devices have similar configurations and are built for one another. Then there is the fact that iTV hooks into the tv through a male component and sends information, receiving information is all together different. Finally, while I am no expert on this aspect, one would think transfering a television signal and converting it into mpeg4 by way of the iTV is very hard. And, now on to a subject I do know a little something about... the law. Think of all the DRM implications of the system you suggested; I don't think Apple would be to pleased with this posibility, unless they of course further thier partnership with media companies and the likes of NBC is interested in the prospect of this, which then might be pretty damn cool. I think you idea sounds fun, but I just don't know that it could work, but then again my experience has always been the more people view something as uncorkable, the greater the oportunity for a great innovator to make it workable!8)
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

What I'd really like to know it what modes can your iTV stream videos from your Mac? Can iTV stream videos from your Mac, when your Mac appears to be in sleep mode??

Are you worried about sleep mode or just about the the screen being closed on a laptop? Obviously that presupposes you are referring to a laptop, but I would think it would not be a problem in that case just like it is not a problem when I close my screen and hook a monitor into the computer and use my bluetooth mouse and keyboard. If you are talking about a Mac pro or something like that, then I just do not know my friend, I just do not know.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:

I am not so sure it is as easy as you suggest. One thing is taking content from a computer an Think of all the DRM implications of the system you suggested; I don't think Apple would be to pleased with this posibility, unless they of course further thier partnership with media companies and the likes of NBC is interested in the prospect of this, which then might be pretty damn cool. I think you idea sounds fun, but I just don't know that it could work, but then again my experience has always been the more people view something as uncorkable, the greater the oportunity for a great innovator to make it workable!8)

You get ***** for the rhyme!

There is TiVO, and for those who want it on their comp eyeTV out there already. You are legally allowed to copy the transmissions from your television (unless specifically prohibited, like the SuperBowl for example), technically didn't you pay for it by paying the cable company?
  • Reply 12 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak

I'm no expert, but if iTV can do pictures or full motion video, I can't see why it couldn't beam any type of graphical info to your TV. It's just like using your TV as an extra monitor.

There are limits to that idea - it needs to stream media over the network, which can be an issue. It will accept still pictures or compressed video on request, but it's not like using the TV as an extra monitor, the network is generally going to be too slow for that.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Are you worried about sleep mode or just about the the screen being closed on a laptop? Obviously that presupposes you are referring to a laptop, but I would think it would not be a problem in that case just like it is not a problem when I close my screen and hook a monitor into the computer and use my bluetooth mouse and keyboard. If you are talking about a Mac pro or something like that, then I just do not know my friend, I just do not know.

I've an iMac, and am just thinking will there be a way to stream from your iMac with the screen turned off, will a new screen off feature be activated (if you want) when your streaming using iTV? Afterall the screen doesn't need to be on, as it's not being used. It would be a waste of energy.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    ....so....I'm confused.

With $10 in cables from RadioShack and an upgrade to Quicktime Pro, I can stream content from my PowerBook to my reciever, where I can watch it on my TV and the audio comes through my home theater. I can even stream content wirelessly from a seperate PC in the house through the PowerBook and to the home theater. So I don't totally understand what I would gain with the iTV?
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoonShadow

....so....I'm confused.

With $10 in cables from RadioShack and an upgrade to Quicktime Pro, I can stream content from my PowerBook to my reciever, where I can watch it on my TV and the audio comes through my home theater. I can even stream content wirelessly from a seperate PC in the house through the PowerBook and to the home theater. So I don't totally understand what I would gain with the iTV?

1. You don't need the cables, no need to plug/unplug or move the computer if you want to switch to a TV in another room (assuming multiple iTV units).

2. You don't need to touch the computer to control things, you just use a remote and Frontrow shows up on the TV

3. You can access multiple computers more easily from a single TV

4. The computer can be in another room with no loss of convenience.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Quote:

1. You don't need the cables, no need to plug/unplug or move the computer if you want to switch to a TV in another room (assuming multiple iTV units).

2. You don't need to touch the computer to control things, you just use a remote and Frontrow shows up on the TV

Those are all good and valid points... I just don't know if they are significant enough for me to justify the purchase. I may be in a different position if I had a more stationary computer, though. (iMac, Powermac)
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:

I just don't know if they are significant enough for me to justify the purchase. I may be in a different position if I had a more stationary computer, though. (iMac, Powermac)

iTV is meaningless for a notebook. It only works with large storage computers/servers as far as I can see.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

iTV is meaningless for a notebook. It only works with large storage computers/servers as far as I can see.

??? Why would it not work with a MB/MBP
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

??? Why would it not work with a MB/MBP

Sorry dutch pear - I mean iTV is pointless with a MBP/MB - unless you've somehow nailed yours to your desk or similar - the idea only really works if you have BIG storage devices with all your iTunes movie downloads on. This is only my opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:

My EyeHome (and quite a few similar devices) do that already for well undr $300.

Interestingly, Elgato nolonger list EyeHome at elgato.com