Two-fold jump in Mac interest since Intel switch - survey

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler

$10 movies without even getting the DVD sold 125,000 copies

i'm curious (suspicious?) why apple hasn't released sales figures following that first week. it'll be interesting to see whether the analysts in today's conference call can get that info out of them. i hope sales haven't collapsed. best hope is apple's held positive sales card close to its vest to release in the call for max p.r. effect.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

No. It was $399 for the 5 GB. Six months or so later, a 10 GB version came out for $499.

I remember it well.

Everyone was complaining that the iPod was too expensive.

So what did Apple do?

Come out with an even more expensive one!

The iTV will be wildly successful as well.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steinar

Apple announced the first Intel products in January, several weeks before the pro Book was in the hands of consumers. The iBook replacement didn’t even come in that quarter. And it is barely a month or so since the pro desktop model shipped. You shouldn’t draw any conclusions based on differences from one part of this particular year to another.

From 2005 Annual Report:

"Net Sales

Net sales and Macintosh unit sales by operating segment and net sales and unit sales by product follow (net sales in millions and unit sales in thousands):

September 24, 2005 Change September 25,2004 Change September 27,2003

Net Sales by Product:

Desktops(b). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 3,436 45% $ 2,373 -4% $ 2,475

Portables (c). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...2,839 11% 2,550 26% 2,016

Total Macintoshnet sales . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .........6,275 27% 4,923 10% 4,491

Unit Sales by Product:

Desktops (b). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...2,520 55% 1,625 (8)% 1,761

Portables (c). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ....2,014 21% 1,665 33% 1,251

Total Macintoshunit sales. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .........4,534 38% 3,290 9% 3,012

Net sales perMacintosh unit sold (g). . . . . . . . . ..$ 1,384 (7)% $1,496 0% $1,491

"

Those were totals year to year. They look pretty good.

Here are more recent numbers. One can see cause for concern in desktop sales:

12/31/05.......desktop....667,000........portable....587 ,000

04/01/06.......desktop....614,000........portable....498 ,000

07/01/06.......desktop....529,000........portable....798 ,000

Looking to the comparable quarters from '05 the change can be more easily seen, though I don't have the time to put the figures up right now.

For some reason the number for desktop(b) sold which should be -4% is coming out as a smiley, no matter how I adjust it.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It hasn't been senseless. It isn't even out! We don't know exactly what Apple has in mind.

Let's at least wait for it to appear. there might be some strategy that will be unveiled.

By definition, ("It isn't even out") that would make it's defense senseless!

What I want to emphasize is this: The concept is out there and a demo has been shown. Based on those facts, the survey proves the point that on initial review, iTV looks like a mutt... that doesn't mean it will be on release. But now Apple will have to reverse the inital opinion.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

By definition, ("It isn't even out") that would make it's defense senseless!

What I want to emphasize is this: The concept is out there and a demo has been shown. Based on those facts, the survey proves the point that on initial review, iTV looks like a mutt... that doesn't mean it will be on release. But now Apple will have to reverse the inital opinion.

It also makes your attacks even more senseless.

At least some of us are saying that it looks as though it might be interesting, let's wait and see.

You're simply attacking it without complete knowledge.

and, so far, more has been written that's positive than negative.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steinar

Apple announced the first Intel products in January, several weeks before the pro Book was in the hands of consumers. The iBook replacement didn?t even come in that quarter. And it is barely a month or so since the pro desktop model shipped. You shouldn?t draw any conclusions based on differences from one part of this particular year to another.

Desktops are more likely to go to commercial, "pro" customers, and Adobe's apps and others aren't Intel native yet. That's part of it.

But one thing they need is an EXPANDABLE desktop in the $1,000 range. The iMac just doesn't appeal to me because you can't upgrade the video and you can't slap a PCI-e card in it. You also can't put a second hard drive or optical drive in it like you can with the Mac Pro. $2,000+ is a lot to ask just to be able to play in the expandability game. How about a tower with a Conroe in it priced just about $1,000?? It would make techies like me happy.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unixguru

How about a tower with a Conroe in it priced just about $1,000?? It would make techies like me happy.

All five of you.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    togtog Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

All five of you.

There's more people who'd like a semi-expandable Conroe box than that...

That said, I've just got a new iMac and am very impressed with it (though I miss the monitor arm on my old one ) I doubt I'll want to expand it before I buy my next computer, but it will be a shame to have to throw away this lovely monitor at the same time (OK, in practice I'll eBay it along with the computer but it's the principle of the thing!)

PS: I'm new here. Hello.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

But Apple can't afford to just be known as the "laptop company". They need strong desktop sales as well. Particularly if their home content delivery strategy is to succeed.

Yes you are right. I imagine Apple is enjoying the laptop success for the moment and have a strategy for the desktop waiting in the wings.

Quote:

There's more people who'd like a semi-expandable Conroe box than that...

I also don't believe many people who would buy a $999 computer care about expandability. Look at people who buy Dells at that price point. The vast majority of those computer are never expanded.

For Apple its very important to have efficient use of resources. If Apple does come out with a $999 expandable conroe box and most of the people who bought one used it exactly the same way they would have used the mini or the iMac. The conroe tower would have been a waste of money for Apple to develop. For one because Apple has developed a with functionality that few people will use. For two because a $999 conroe would cannibalize sales of more expensive machines.

As long as a computer has long life, Joe and Jane general consumer does not care about expandability. Expandability should stay in the professional market. Those who want it should pay for it.

It would not be profitable for Apple to develop products for people who have champaign dreams on a kool-aid budget.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    While the laptop sales are on fire would be the perfect time for Apple to introduce an ultra compact laptop.

11.1" WXGA LCD screen, 1.33GHz and 1.50GHz ultra low voltage Merom, 3 pounds, 7.5 hours of battery life.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Yes you are right. I imagine Apple is enjoying the laptop success for the moment and have a strategy for the desktop waiting in the wings.

I also don't believe many people who would buy a $999 computer care about expandability. Look at people who buy Dells at that price point. The vast majority of those computer are never expanded.

For Apple its very important to have efficient use of resources. If Apple does come out with a $999 expandable conroe box and most of the people who bought one used it exactly the same way they would have used the mini or the iMac. The conroe tower would have been a waste of money for Apple to develop. For one because Apple has developed a with functionality that few people will use. For two because a $999 conroe would cannibalize sales of more expensive machines.

As long as a computer has long life, Joe and Jane general consumer does not care about expandability. Expandability should stay in the professional market. Those who want it should pay for it.

It would not be profitable for Apple to develop products for people who have champaign dreams on a kool-aid budget.

I would buy one for my wife.

Not for me, and not for my 15 year old daughter, who is in an art high school.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

While the laptop sales are on fire would be the perfect time for Apple to introduce an ultra compact laptop.

11.1" WXGA LCD screen, 1.33GHz and 1.50GHz ultra low voltage Merom, 3 pounds, 7.5 hours of battery life.

I would love something even smaller.

Something between the Origami concept, and what you mentioned.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    The iMac game kills off Apples desktop sales plain and simple.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora

What's an "iMac game"?
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

I would buy one for my wife.

Would your wife actually use the PCI slot or upgrade the graphics card? If so what for?

Quote:

From all estimations I've seen the iMac is Apple's best selling desktop. In what way exactly is it killing sales?
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:

Would your wife actually use the PCI slot or upgrade the graphics card? If so what for?

My wife doesn't "use" it, as much as I upgrade all of our machines on a regular basis. She doesn't need a Mac Pro. A 24" iMac would be fine, but I would rather an upgradable machine for her because that's me.

I end up upgrading all machines to the hilt by the time they can't be upgraded any more. I've always done that.

If the iMac could be used as a monitor...but it can't.