Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced that its entire MacBook Pro line of notebooks now includes the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor and delivers performance that is up to 39 percent faster than the previous generation.

All new MacBook Pro models now offer double the memory and greater storage capacity than the previous generation, as well as a FireWire 800 port for connecting to high-speed peripherals.

The new MacBook Pro's lightweight, aluminum enclosure is just one-inch thin, available in 15- and 17-inch models, and features a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing on-the-go.

"With an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, greater storage capacity and FireWire 800 connectivity, the new MacBook Pro delivers unprecedented performance and mobility in an incredibly thin and light design," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "We are thrilled that our notebook sales are growing twice as fast as the overall notebook market, and we hope these new MacBook Pro models continue that success."

The MacBook Pros' Intel Core 2 Duo processor offers 4MB of shared L2 cache, which is up to 39 percent faster than the previous 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro and more than seven times faster than the 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 running industry standard benchmarks, Apple said. Additionally, it has enhanced Mac OS X to take advantage of the technology advances from Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, resulting in increased performance in professional applications like Aperture 1.5, Final Cut Pro 5 and Logic Pro 7.

An ideal fit for business and creative professionals, MacBook Pro delivers advanced performance including 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory expandable up to 3GB, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with up to 256MB of dedicated GDDR3 graphics memory, and a double-layer SuperDrive for burning professional-quality DVDs.

Every new MacBook Pro also includes built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate), a FireWire 800 and a FireWire 400 port, combination analog and optical digital audio input and output ports, an ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot, and a DVI video output to connect up to a 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

Like their predecessors, the new Intel-based notebooks come with Apple's MagSafe Power Adapter that magnetically couples the power cord to the MacBook Pro and safely disconnects when there is strain on the power cord, preventing the notebook from falling off its work surface. Additionally, Apple now offers a new MagSafe Airline Adapter that makes using the MacBook Pro on an airplane even more convenient by connecting to in-seat power ports for continued productivity throughout the duration of a flight.

Other standard features of the new notebook line include an illuminated keyboard, Apple's Sudden Motion Sensor that is designed to protect the hard drive in case of a fall, and a Scrolling TrackPad to easily scroll through long web pages or pan across large photographs.

Each model comes with iLife '06, the next generation of Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand and iWeb, the latest iLife application that makes it super-easy to create amazing websites with photos, blogs and podcasts and publish them on .Mac for viewing by anyone on the Internet with just a single click.

Every MacBook Pro also comes with the latest release of the world's most advanced operating system, Mac OS X version 10.4.8 Tiger including Safari, Mail, iCal, iChat AV, Front Row and Photo Booth, running natively on the Intel-based notebook.

Pricing & Availability

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is shipping today, the new 17-inch MacBook Pro will ship next week, and every model will be available through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The Apple MagSafe Airline Adaptor is shipping today for a suggested retail price of $59.

The 2.16 GHz, 15-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

15.4-inch widescreen 1440 x 900 LCD display with 300 cd/m2 brightness2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 3GB120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 6x SuperDrive? with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drivePCI Express-based ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slottwo USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one headphone out port, each supporting optical digital audioScrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboardthe infrared Apple Remote and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.

The 2.33 GHz, 15-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,499 (US), includes:

15.4-inch widescreen 1440 x 900 LCD display with 300 cd/m2 brightness2.33 GHz Intel Core 2Duo processor2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 3GB120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 6x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drivePCI Express-based ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in Airport Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slottwo USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one headphone out port, each supporting optical digital audioScrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboardthe infrared Apple Remote and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.

The 2.33 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:

17-inch widescreen 1680 x 1050 LCD display with 300 cd/m2 brightness2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 3GB160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensora slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drivePCI Express-based ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memoryDVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately)built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Displaybuilt-in iSight video cameraGigabit Ethernet portbuilt-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDRExpressCard/34 expansion card slotthree USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 portone audio line in and one headphone out port, each supporting optical digital audioScrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensorthe infrared Apple Remote and 85 Watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.

Additional build-to-order options for the MacBook Pro include the ability to upgrade to a 200GB (4200 rpm) or a 160GB (5400 rpm) hard drive, up to 3GB DDR2 SDRAM, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter, Apple USB Modem, glossy widescreen display, and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Side note: The new MacBook models indeed carry the manufacturer part numbers discussed in our report Monday evening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 376
    Posted before they're on the Apple site... wow.
  • Reply 2 of 376
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Yay, Double-Layer burning returns!
  • Reply 3 of 376
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    And FW800! And an airline power adapter. Way to go.
  • Reply 4 of 376
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    They're up in the "Hardware" section, but not in the store yet.
  • Reply 5 of 376
    Is it just me or are they only offering 7200-rpm drives on the 17" now? The 200Gb is a 4200-rpm drive, the other two are 5400-rpm.
  • Reply 6 of 376
    OK, now is the time for me to replace my 1.67GHz PowerBook G4. I'd like more than an X1600 to be honest, but FW800. dual layer burning and 64-bit ensure I can resist no longer.
  • Reply 7 of 376
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Awesome!!!

1 GB RAM standard, 120 gb hd standard. Upgrade to 2gb ram for just $175, not bad.

Worth the wait IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 376
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllBrain

Is it just me or are they only offering 7200-rpm drives on the 17" now? The 200Gb is a 4200-rpm drive, the other two are 5400-rpm.

Everything is great except the drive options (IMO), I would have like a 7200-rpm drive option for any MBP model, but maybe it's just me...

Anyway, I'm glad they're out and well spec'd.
  • Reply 9 of 376
    Not exactly what I was hoping for, considering the wait. But 1gb ram standard was definitely needed and a nice addition, along with FW800.

After having tried a 7200 rpm I prefer 5400 rpm.. less noise, less vibration, less heat.
  • Reply 10 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix

Everything is great except the drive options (IMO), I would have like a 7200-rpm drive option for any MBP model, but maybe it's just me...

Anyway, I'm glad they're out and well spec'd.

Yeah, if anyone is hell-bent on having a 7200-rpm they can just crack the MBP open and stick a new drive in there. They certainly are impressive machines, I'll look forward to seeing people post about general usage.
  • Reply 11 of 376
    This is pretty disappointing. Why all the delays? 9 months between updates for some pretty minimal updates on the 17". The 15" is a fair bit better with the firewire and superdrive (which should have been on the original), but the 17" has no real update if you want a 7200rpm drive, other than the 3 Gig RAM.

BTW, what the hell is up with 3 Gig of ram??? couldn't they have done an even 4 like every other computer manufacturer in the world? 1x2GB, 1x1GB SO-DIMMs seems weird - would it be so much harder to do 2x2?. Also, the 4200 rpm hard disk option seems pretty ridiculous.

Let's hope Santa Rosa comes a lot sooner than this one did and has some design changes! With a swappable HD, apple wouldn't need to post lameass 4200 drives, and any sort of design change would justify 9 months between updates...
  • Reply 12 of 376
    I should, really, be whipping out my credit card right now, but I'm kind of underwhelmed. It definitely seems like Apple's saving all of the candy for April.

Makes a guy think about just how badly he needs his fingers in the jar just yet.

Any thoughts on that? How much better do you all figure Santa Rosa and a remake will be?
  • Reply 13 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Let's hope Santa Rosa comes a lot sooner than this one did and has some design changes! With a swappable HD, apple wouldn't need to post lameass 4200 drives, and any sort of design change would justify 9 months between updates...

And the Santa Rosa Threads have officially begun!

• Reply 14 of 376
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

This is pretty disappointing. .

I am at a loss as to what you would have expected. What else could they have added?
  • Reply 15 of 376
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    only took 12 posts for the first waaaambulance
  • Reply 16 of 376
    Quote:

This is pretty disappointing. Why all the delays? 9 months between updates for some pretty minimal updates on the 17". The 15" is a fair bit better with the firewire and superdrive (which should have been on the original), but the 17" has no real update if you want a 7200rpm drive, other than the 3 Gig RAM.

BTW, what the hell is up with 3 Gig of ram??? couldn't they have done an even 4 like every other computer manufacturer in the world? 1x2GB, 1x1GB SO-DIMMs seems weird - would it be so much harder to do 2x2?. Also, the 4200 rpm hard disk option seems pretty ridiculous.

Right so tell us what it was that you actually wanted in this update
  • Reply 17 of 376
    Ugh, no 13.3" macbook c2d? Or will there be a round 2 announcement before the holidays are over?

Was really hoping for a 13.3" upgrade or better yet a 13.3" upgrade to pro...
  • Reply 18 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwave

I should, really, be whipping out my credit card right now, but I'm kind of underwhelmed. It definitely seems like Apple's saving all of the candy for April.

Makes a guy think about just how badly he needs his fingers in the jar just yet.

Any thoughts on that? How much better do you all figure Santa Rosa and a remake will be?

I anticipated this sort of underwhelmedness, based on the talk of the only minor increase in performance with the C2D iMacs for your average user (which I am), when thinking about getting a new laptop. Originally, I was waiting for these MacBook Pros but decided to plump for a refurb Core Duo (a combination of both being inpatient and the performance thing). I love that machine and my head isn't turned so much by this upgrade. Still, they're fine beasts!
  • Reply 19 of 376
    Quote:

They were waiting for CPU supply to build up. There was no delay. No other manufacturer is shipping 2.16 & 2.33 C2D notebooks right now AFAIK.
  • Reply 20 of 376
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

I am at a loss as to what you would have expected. What else could they have added?

Some people were hoping for a case re-design to bring it inline with the MacBook. I think a case re-design will come with Santa Rosa next year.