Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

This is pretty disappointing. Why all the delays? 9 months between updates for some pretty minimal updates on the 17". The 15" is a fair bit better with the firewire and superdrive (which should have been on the original), but the 17" has no real update if you want a 7200rpm drive, other than the 3 Gig RAM.

BTW, what the hell is up with 3 Gig of ram??? couldn't they have done an even 4 like every other computer manufacturer in the world? 1x2GB, 1x1GB SO-DIMMs seems weird - would it be so much harder to do 2x2?. Also, the 4200 rpm hard disk option seems pretty ridiculous.

Let's hope Santa Rosa comes a lot sooner than this one did and has some design changes! With a swappable HD, apple wouldn't need to post lameass 4200 drives, and any sort of design change would justify 9 months between updates...

<Sigh> Ummm ... don't forget you probably waited 9 months for the chip supply from Intel to be able to handle the demand. When the MBP first came out they didn't have nearly enough chips to fill orders and people waited a very long time to get their computers.

What do you dislike about the MBP design? Look around ... it is one of the sleekest, most beautiful notebooks out there right now. Why 4200 rpm drives? Eh ... I'd prefer 5400, but 4200 as someone said earlier will lower the vibrations, noise and heat.

Also, I can find much more intriguing things to get upset about other than "WTF is up with 3 GB of RAM ... that's dumb..." Like, when do the MackBook and Mac Mini updates come around...

But seriously ... what were YOU hoping for in this update?
  • Reply 22 of 376
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhoffa

Ugh, no 13.3" macbook c2d? Or will there be a round 2 announcement before the holidays are over?

Was really hoping for a 13.3" upgrade or better yet a 13.3" upgrade to pro...

There just aren't enough Meroms to go 'round.
  • Reply 23 of 376
    Dagnammit Where's My Anti-gravity Macbooks!!! Apple Suck
  • Reply 24 of 376
    Personal attacks aren't allowed. Argue the issue, not the person. - JL
  • Reply 25 of 376
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Some people were hoping for a case re-design to bring it inline with the MacBook. I think a case re-design will come with Santa Rosa next year.

Yeah, I want my MBP thicker and heavier!
  • Reply 26 of 376
    God you people b*tch a lot, they finally have Core 2 Duo, the low end model has 1 GB standard and the rest have 2GB, something nobody expected from Apple, they added larger HD's (its true the 200Gb one is slow, but thats not Apples fault), what the hell did you guys want

Granted the Graphics card is the same, but I think its because the newer graphics card which are supposed to be cooler haven't been released yet if memory serves me correctly.

Anyways great job Apple, if I had the money I would definitely buy one 8) 8)

Btw my MacBook is finally fixed... yay!!
  • Reply 27 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Yeah, I want my MBP thicker and heavier!

You know what I meant. Don't you?
  • Reply 28 of 376
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

Flame deleted - JL

This has been the case since 2003 or so. I enjoy visiting the AI forums to see how idiotic some people can become. It's quite comical.
  • Reply 29 of 376
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    how much is the student discount for this thing? ... 5% ?
  • Reply 30 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spyinthesky

Right so tell us what it was that you actually wanted in this update

Swappable HD would have been nice.

I expected 4GB ram and some sort of graphics update on the pro line, as well as a magnetic latch .

Other than that, i just hoped there would be some reason for a 9 month wait. Minor bumps on everything is a disappointment.

The graphics card is a year old, and the ram is less than every other notebook dealer offers at the top, which affects the "pros" who these are geared towards. With the new Adobe products as well as new ProTools coming out in the late winter/spring, i'm wondering if the memory requirements of those will be too high to operate on a MBPro at a high level (ie. mulitple Adobe apps or 16track 24-bit recording). Right now 2 GB is really the funtional limit of these apps, and i expect the recommended on the next releases to be in the 4 GB range...
  • Reply 31 of 376
    Dang. Bad timing. I'm flying out of the country today for six weeks. Oh well, a little flex time in case there are any more pre-holiday goodies coming out of Cupertino...
  • Reply 32 of 376
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Nice to see speed bumps, but frankly none of the Intel MacBooks are light enough for me to warrant a purchase, from what I can tell. Still waiting for something the weight of my 12"G4 PB - about 4 lbs.

Good specs on processors and other features, but Apple is really falling behind in the portability game. Windows PC makers are making lighter portables - why can't Apple?

Japan sales have already been lackluster - and this won't help much.
  • Reply 33 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Other than that, i just hoped there would be some reason for a 9 month wait. Minor bumps on everything is a disappointment.

I wonder how many times people have to say it before you get it? Apple didn't have enough Meroms before today.
  • Reply 34 of 376
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    As expected and hoped for.

Except for the 2GB ram standard

waiting on a quote from my reseller so I can order mine.
  • Reply 35 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin

Good specs on processors and other features, but Apple is really falling behind in the portability game. Windows PC makers are making lighter portables - why can't Apple?

Japan sales have already been lackluster - and this won't help much.

I'd say in terms of the features that you get, Apple lead the industry on portability. The problem is that they don't have an ultra-portable, which sacrifices features/low-cost for lightness. I hope we'll see an ultra-portable from Apple in January, or sometime in 2007, at least.
  • Reply 36 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

You know what is really disappointing?

It is guys like this that can't respect their fellow man and for nothing else but to crap on his grandmother by displaying such nonsensical garbage.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I like to visit AppleInsider to be informed by relatively intelligent and knowledgeable human beings. (Human beings being the operative word here)

If those that can't respect their fellowman, go somewhere else where you can wallow in your own faeces. It is like being invited for dinner and you decide to molest the hostess.

Get a life.

Hey, i was expressing an opinion. I believe that's a funtion of forums. I have no idea what you're talking about with respecting fellow man, but you certainly showed yourself to be both a hypocrite and idiot with your last few sentences.
  • Reply 37 of 376
    I'm guessing the 2GB SODIMMs are thicker or something and it's a space issue... But yeah, 3GB is an odd limit, still it's nice to see any increase in the laptop space. Also, are the 200GB drives on the market yet? If so, it's news to me (good news). I have to wonder how an how much Apple "optimized" for the C2D, considering the so-so speed increase we've seen so far.
  • Reply 38 of 376
    I'm ecstatic. It's out, it's out, it's out!
  • Reply 39 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saud

how much is the student discount for this thing? ... 5% ?

It's usually $150 or so on the MBPs, isn't it?
  • Reply 40 of 376
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    looks good. I don't feel like i'm missing out on much with my refurb 15" i bought a couple weeks ago knowing I'd keep it another 6-8months. I would like to be able to put more ram, but this is sufficient until Leopard.

but did they fix the hard drive placement so its easy like in the macbook? That to me would be a nice upgrade.