Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 121 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

And where exactly were you non-sensically slagged off?.

just one of many slags can be found in the comment above yours. I think it's true that just about anything remotely negative about apple gets slagged pretty hard around here, but hey, it's an apple fansite, so what does anyone expect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Next time, he should pay attention to the rumors and product release cycles if he doesn't want to get burned.

Maybe it was paying attention to rumors, etc. that made him wait so long before he finally gave in bought out of necessity... There's probably already a lot of folks that pay attention to the rumors/cycles who will wait for the next "even bigger" update of Santa Rosa which may happen in Jan. or Feb. who will then possible get "burned" when it isn't released until May or June.

I don't think anyone is that wiser from rumor sites, since none of us can accurately sift through the 99% bullshit predictions posted (see MB, MBPro, PBG5, etc.). I can't remember anything predicted here accurately that hasn't been forecasted by more mainstream media or leaked from developers that's been more than a couple days before the official release... But it's still very very fun !
  • Reply 122 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac

Yeah, I'm with you brother. The first Mac notebooks with a Dual 64-bit processor is no big deal!

Isn't that really the case? Until the software catches up to the hardware, what is there out there that is going to take advantage of the 64-bit? I just wouldn't think that until leopard arrives there is a serious advantage to this... and even then, that advantage would be limited to the availability of universal binary applications that were designed to take adavantage of the 64 bit?

I am not trying to be snide, that is a question I can't answer on my own.
  • Reply 123 of 376
    Just placed my order. Got the 2.33 with a 160 hard drive and a MagSafe Airline Adapter.

3-5 business days.

Finally!!!
  • Reply 124 of 376
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Love the upgrade except for the GPU. (But I am sure Apple had some reason for not giving it a bump.)

ATI lists power management as one of the features of the X1600. I did not see this same feature exclusively mentioned in documentation for the X1700 or X1800.

Longer-Lasting Battery Life

Go longer with ATI?s PowerPlay? 6.0 technology, maximizing battery life for an extended on-the-move visual experience. Deliver a video-rich multimedia presentation, play the hottest game at the highest settings, or enjoy extended battery life when watching your favorite movie. Mobility? Radeon® X1600?s power management technology monitors user demands and machine capabilities to maximize battery life. Mobility? Radeon® X1600 handles today?s graphics-intensive 3D games and HD content with plenty of power for the applications of tomorrow.
  • Reply 125 of 376
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric

After much searching, I found the deeply hidden weight of that thing. 18.5 lbs.

That's almost as much as a 20 inch iMac (22 lbs)!

Is it really a notebook computer or an iMac competitor? I think the deciding difference is whether it has a built-in battery, I didn't look that far.
  • Reply 126 of 376
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

just one of many slags can be found in the comment above yours. I think it's true that just about anything remotely negative about apple gets slagged pretty hard around here, but hey, it's an apple fansite, so what does anyone expect.

That's not necessarily true.

It depends on what is being said. Some people come here to troll, and they get "slagged". Sometimes people think that someone is trolling, and will "slag" them. It usually gets straightned out.

But, there are a very small number of people who will slam anyone who says anything negative, but those are the same people over and over. It's only a small handful, though.
  • Reply 127 of 376
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Huh? The MacBook has the same ratio screen as the MacBook Pros: 16:10.

they do? then why the hell do they look SO wide when next to the macbook pros proportionally (having sen them all side-by-side at the apple mini-store in syracuse)? i mean, i'm not making this up. sigh, now i have to go look up specs again...
  • Reply 128 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rok

they do? then why the hell do they look SO wide when next to the macbook pros proportionally (having sen them all side-by-side at the apple mini-store in syracuse)? i mean, i'm not making this up. sigh, now i have to go look up specs again...

It might be an optical illusion. I'm not aware of any current widescreen computer screen that's not 16:10. The widescreen computers that aren't 16:10 are the exception, 16:10 pretty standardized now.
  • Reply 129 of 376
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

Isn't that really the case? Until the software catches up to the hardware, what is there out there that is going to take advantage of the 64-bit? I just wouldn't think that until leopard arrives there is a serious advantage to this... and even then, that advantage would be limited to the availability of universal binary applications that were designed to take adavantage of the 64 bit?

I am not trying to be snide, that is a question I can't answer on my own.

I guess it depends if you see the glass half full or half empty. I see it as half full and pulled the trigger on one. I mean this in the sense that in the ppc days chip upgrades were too slow. Now the upgrades are so fast the software can't keep up.

You say you were waiting for the mythical g5 laptop. Think of it this way. Apple just released the equivalent of a dual core g5. And you don't have to pack it in dry ice.
  • Reply 130 of 376
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Great timing. Called Sprint today and they say that they'll be rolling out the EVDO ExpressCard, to work with the MBP, on Nov 5th. This along with the current C2D MBP is very tempting not to wait until January's MWSF. Hmmm just over two months... I wonder if I can make it. It's kind of like trying to last that first time...
  • Reply 131 of 376
    Quote:

It seems to me a lot of the negative comments are from people who wish Apple would make the computer they want or add functionality they want at some certain price.

A lot of the time said people don't understand or choose to ignore Apple's business model and how Apple designs its machines. They don't seem to understand how Apple has structured its computer models for maximum profitability and that the computer they want that Dell makes is not very profitable for Dell and probably won't be very profitable for Apple.

Other complaints made can be difficult to answer. Because Apple does not tell us why they do what they do, or what they will do in the future.
  • Reply 132 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

Leopard isn't that far away. Encoding software can benefit, so it can use larger words and more registers. I wouldn't be surprised if Final Cut Studio 6.0 will be 64-bit and that will probably be announced in April 2006.
  • Reply 133 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

It seems to me a lot of the negative comments are from people who wish Apple would make the computer they want or add functionality they want at some certain price.

A lot of the time said people don't understand or choose to ignore Apple's business model and how Apple designs its machines. They don't seem to understand how Apple has structured its computer models for maximum profitability and that the computer they want that Dell makes is not very profitable for Dell and probably won't be very profitable for Apple.

Other complaints made can be difficult to answer. Because Apple does not tell us why they do what they do, or what they will do in the future.

The point isn't that anything negative towards apple gets a rebuttle, it's that those rebuttles tend to be condescending and/or fanboyish. If someone says they're disappointed with a Mac update, why do so many people have to jump on them and say or imply they're an idiot? I mean, addressing a complaint with a reason why it has to be that way is fine, but all the aggressive reaming out gets pretty ridiculous sometimes...
  • Reply 134 of 376
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    15.4" MBP

With the following configuration:

* Processor 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* Memory 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM2x1GB

* Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm

* Optical Drive SuperDrive 6X

* Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

* Modem None

* Apple Software Solutions None

* Keyboard/Mac OS Language BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS

* Country Kit/AEX Country Kit

plus a free printer :-)

and I called the apple people, and they say if you call, if can get shipped faster.
  • Reply 135 of 376
    no one discussing battery life 5 hours and longer? Do the batteries have more capacity, or does the processor use a lot less power? my MBP 2x 2.0 GHz lasts 2,5 hrs - and I remember the specs told the same ...

... wait - I looked up in MacTracker MBP CoreDuo "up to 4,5 hrs" - but still 30 min. more ...
  • Reply 136 of 376
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

The point isn't that anything negative towards apple gets a rebuttle, it's that those rebuttles tend to be condescending and/or fanboyish. If someone says they're disappointed with a Mac update, why do so many people have to jump on them and say or imply they're an idiot? I mean, addressing a complaint with a reason why it has to be that way is fine, but all the aggressive reaming out gets pretty ridiculous sometimes...

It often has to do with the way it's said. Just saying that you are disappointed is one thing, but some people actually whine about it.

Plus the other reasons I gave earlier.
  • Reply 137 of 376
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin59

my MBP 2x 2.0 GHz lasts 2,5 hrs - and I remember the specs told the same ...

The key here is the phrase "up to". What are you doing with your MacBook Pro when the battery lasts 2.5 hrs?

Set the display brightness to only one notch above "backlight off", turn off bluetooth and Airport, don't have any peripherals connected, don't use the optical drive, don't tax the HDD or the CPU (in other words do something like typing in TextEdit, and nothing else) and you'll probably get 5 hours of battery life, too.
  • Reply 138 of 376
    Quote:

The point isn't that anything negative towards apple gets a rebuttle, it's that those rebuttles tend to be condescending and/or fanboyish. If someone says they're disappointed with a Mac update, why do so many people have to jump on them and say or imply they're an idiot?

I agree its completely unnecessary and there should be little tolerance for name calling.

But complaints such as Apple not redesigning the case or the keyboard are silly complaints. Apple has sold more laptops than it ever has before. There really is no reason why Apple needs to redesign them.

The complaint about 4GB of RAM vs 3GB of RAM sounded like a complaint just to complain about something. It did not attempt to taken into consideration why Apple made that choice. Or even consider why 4GB would have been so much better.
  • Reply 139 of 376
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin59

or does the processor use a lot less power?

The peak power consumption of Core 2 Duo is actually higher than Core Duo. The average draw is lower, however.
  • Reply 140 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

The peak power consumption of Core 2 Duo is actually higher than Core Duo. The average draw is lower, however.

So they will be a little cooler than my Merom MBP on normal usage (?) - fine! looking forward