So who is waiting for Santa Rosa?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well I'm completely underwhelmed by today's upgrade. I wasn't expecting a case redesign, but I at least wanted magnetic latches and an easy access HD. What the hell is the point of putting a new processor in a computer if Apple wants to leave a 18 MONTH OLD graphics card in there. The X1600 just can't hack it with new games, I was at least hoping for an x1650 that would be able to run at the proper clock speed. I can't believe I'm going to have to wait till March-April, but it's going to be very worth it with all the enhancements Santa Rosa will bring. I've been waiting for an appealing Apple laptop since the first days of G5 Powerbook talk, but nothing has been great enough to lure me away from my desktop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    There is no such thing as an X1650 mobility. There is an X1700 now, but whether its heat output is suitable for a MacBook Pro is a wholly different question.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    That must be the one I was thinking of. I meant the new strained silicon one that's supposed to have great powersaving advantages.

"ATI's own figures show the X1700 doesn't yield radically better 3DMark and games benchmarks than the X1600, but the point is it delivers the extra performance without a comparable increase in power consumption."

Not a great increase, but it's something. Come on Apple, don't go back to the days of crippled graphics cards.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Well, I'm waiting for Santa Rosa, Blu-Ray Superdrive, Case Redesign, etc. but I think these new MacBook Pros are the best value yet.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Hey, what is Santa Rosa? New chips?
  • Reply 5 of 53
    sorry nvm....yahoo had no idea but wikipedia helped me out
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

I've been waiting for an appealing Apple laptop since the first days of G5 Powerbook talk, but nothing has been great enough to lure me away from my desktop.

Waiting 2 years for a Laptop - why stop? Continue on for another 5 at least.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

Waiting 2 years for a Laptop - why stop? Continue on for another 5 at least.

My desktop has been suiting me just fine. I never wanted a G4 powerbook because I knew the next generation of laptops would crush them, and they did (Intel Core Duo). From there, I didn't want a first revision laptop because I knew they would have issues, and they did. Now I see Santa Rosa right around the corner with all of its big advantages, like 802.11n and NAND flash, and I see the merit in waiting a bit more. I just don't want to buy a computer unless it's that much better than what I have already because I'm working on a student budget.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    With all the waiting you've done you won't be a student anymore...
  • Reply 9 of 53
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    hahaha,

man just go and buy the laptop.

Wait is worth if you can do it. You said you already waited for so long.

IMHO buy now, if Santa Rosa is that much better, sell your laptop on ebay for a small depreciation and invest on a new one. No big deal.

That's what I am going to do when they launch the octo-core Mac Pro. I'll sell my Quad G5 and go for it.

Much better than wait forever for something when always something better coming up on the horizon.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I'm waiting the GMA X3000 mobile part of Santa Rosa. Mostly for the Mini but maybe I'll get a macbook for my dad instead.

Vinea
  • Reply 11 of 53
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Now I see Santa Rosa right around the corner with all of its big advantages, like 802.11n and NAND flash, and I see the merit in waiting a bit more. I just don't want to buy a computer unless it's that much better than what I have already because I'm working on a student budget.

When Intel ships Santa Rosa there will still be something new around the corner like faster 45 nm processors with better power per watt and new chip sets with a faster FSB.

There will always be something new.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    I bought a refurb Macbook Pro today, but that's beside the point. I'm just wondering what people are thinking about Santa Rosa. The big thing after Santa Rosa will be the Penyrn processor, a 45nm shrink of Merom. It's going to come with huge power savings, probably around 50%. I think it's going to come out in about late 2007. But I see 802.11n and NAND flash as huge advances in laptops since 802.11n is much faster than 802.11g and NAND is supposed to cut load times in half and increase battery life a lot.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    i'm in the same boat that you are in. desktop is doing me fine but i will get a macbook pro when the time is right. probably when santa rosa comes out along with leopard.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    should we assume that if there is a completely new platform in spring next year that there will be some teething problems?

this would push for me upgrading to the new MBPs asap!8)
  • Reply 15 of 53
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

When Intel ships Santa Rosa there will still be something new around the corner like faster 45 nm processors with better power per watt and new chip sets with a faster FSB.

There will always be something new.

<sarcastic comment to follow> But Teno a 6x performance improvement (over a g4 PB) isn't enough, I'm holding out for 10x. <sacastic comment over>

If I had a ICD MBP I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade, but if you're on a g4 PB and considering a new laptop, what more could you possibly be waiting for?

EDIT: I realize that you probably agree with this, I'm pointing this out to those who were somehow expecting more.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    I have to say given the wait for C2D (approx 3 or 4 months from launch to production) there isn't much chance of Santa Rosa for a while. Then given the some of the changes, Apple could have some QC problems. I just ordered my C2B MBP, and will dump on ebay in august to upgrage again.

How long can you wait?
  • Reply 17 of 53
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    A couple months ago I really needed a new computer. My PB G4 (which was out of warrentee) was putting itself to sleep all the time and my G5 was experiencing random kernel panics (which our local "geniuses" replicate). I was thinking I would be putting in my order for a MBP C2D as soon as they were announced. But I waited and waited and nothing was announced. Meanwhile I stumbled onto a way of reliably reproducing the kernel panics on the G5. I was finally able to prove to the genius that it was the mother board and got that replaced. Then I stumbled across someone who was having the same problem as me with his PB G4 and had figured out a software fix for it (turned out to be a bad track pad tempeture sensor). So now I figure I am good to wait for Santa Rosa or maybe even beyond. Thanks Apple for saving me $2800!
  • Reply 18 of 53
    I'm waiting for a MacBook with Santa Rosa.

I have a checklist created earlier this year (before the MacBook was announced) with things I want. Small laptop, like my current 12" PB; 64-bit processor; 802.11n wireless; Bluray (maybe).

Things like the 802.11n wireless don't get updated all that often, so waiting the 6-8months for it is worth it alone by my thinking: I don't use N now, but I might in the future (when I'm in my own house with a new network to set up).

Bonuses like getting Leopard with the laptop also mean I won't have to pay for it separately.

Just because updates are apparently happening more often now, doesn't make certain updates bigger than others. I'm happy with my 12" PB, although it does feel slow sometimes. I imagined I would upgrade 3 years after getting my PB, and it's only just turned 2 years old. It's really about finding the point where all your interests (price, feature differences) cross and going for it.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    Down here in Kuwait .. they sell the 15" Core Duo MBP for $3200 ..

i just got the $2000 MBP C2D .. so, i might sell it in 6 months for the same price and get an MBP with Santa rosa...

isn't that great or what?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saud

Down here in Kuwait .. they sell the 15" Core Duo MBP for $3200 ..

i just got the $2000 MBP C2D .. so, i might sell it in 6 months for the same price and get an MBP with Santa rosa...

isn't that great or what?

that's not great.. that's simply hilarious.