Front row = laggy and crashing???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When i select "Movies" menu to access my movies i end up waiting over 2 minutes for the menu to stop thinking (spinning thing).

Front Row started fine its just seeming to get laggy and buggy recently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also when uninstalling programs from osx (I?m new) most of the time you just delete the program how ever how to you remove associated files (i.e. found some in library directory).

Thanks heaps

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Apparently frontrow (or quicktime/itunes, which it is just a front-end to) scans your movies folder as well as your iTunes library each time you activate the movies menu. I experience the same behavior (well, slightly shorter, several seconds to a minute, but still). This does indeed suck. Frontrow ought to be "teh snappy". I don't believe there is much to do about it yourself.

Here's to hoping leopard with frontrow 2 will take the laggy out of it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    It's funny that Front Row and the iPod are doing pretty much the same job with pretty much the same interface ... And yet the tiny little iPod does a much better job of working snappily - usually with a much bigger library.

I'm thinking we could do with some old-time engineering here.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    thanks heaps for your reply. i guess ill just have to wait for updates.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    What computer are you using, and are the movies stored on the main hard drive?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    im using the new 24 inch imac, the movies are hanbraked (1 and 2 gig each) in my movies directory on the local hd (500gig)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Shouldn't be that way...

But, when Front Row first opens and you select a media category, iTunes/iPhoto, etc have to launch in the background. That takes a second or two. Once they're open, it shouldn't lag a lot at all. I just tested it on my 1.66 Mac mini 2gigs RAM and it was quick, practically instantaneous using the Apple remote and scrolling as fast as possible to whatever song I could hit.

I have a bunch of Handbraked movies, too. Same thing, except for the seven or so seconds for my external hard drive to spin up.

May sound dumb, but have you repaired permissions lately?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    yeah i have repaired permissions. it seems to be doing the same thing with my music menu now too!

seriously i have to wait minutes for the damn menus (movies and artists) to open.

Is anyone else having this problem?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Sounds like a corrupt media file. Try moving everything out of the various media folders. If this fixes the problem, move stuff back in until it goes laggy again.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Do you use dial-up? Because Front Row checks online for media every time you click on anything. Which takes quite a while on slow connections. Try using Front Row when your LAN/Internet connection isn't plugged in.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I had this problem on my 1.83 mini, until I put all the handbraked movies into their own folder inside the movies folder. this should reduce loading times a little
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tedus

yeah i have repaired permissions. it seems to be doing the same thing with my music menu now too!

seriously i have to wait minutes for the damn menus (movies and artists) to open.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I had this problem on a Core Solo mini with 2 .avi files and nothing else. Took close to 3 minutes for the movies folder to load with only two movie files in the folder. I didn't have a good codec to play back .avi files at the time ... once I got one, the folder loaded much faster. Don't forget it shows little previews of the files on the right hand side, maybe it's looking for a codec or something. If you've handbraked them though, they sould all be MPEG-4 or H.264. Strange in any case.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Yeah i dont know guys, i tried taking all the movies out of the directory and it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have adsl 512 so i dont think it is the internet speed.

How would i go about fixing a corrupt index file?

I have a feeling it might be quicker when itunes is already open i will investigate more.