iTMS/iPod copy-protection foiled?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
It seems like this guy just doesn't like people placing rules and restrictions on him: DVD Jon strikes again by breaking the rights management code on the iPod and plans to provide the hack to the world.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/1....ap/index.html

Bet His Steveness will be happy with this.

If the guy is so goiod at hacking, why doesn't Apple hire him as an advisor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wELL, I can't be for certain - but REAL has already reverse engineered FairPlay and they either backed down from legal threats / or Apple breaking it with an update.

DVD John and Apple have been at it before, but it was always cat and mouse, John cracked it, Apple then broke the crack.

So my only 2 questions would be:

a) Can Apple issue an update and break it again

b) What manouvers is DVD John pulling to make him think this is legal? I'm sure if this when to court, the legal fees would be pretty hefty, and more likely cost more than what he could possibly get from licensing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apple's iTunes play cant last forever. Eventually, the studios are going to realize they dont need a middle man to push their music, and you will be able to buy straight from the source. Online music stores are just the natural progression of the obsolete brick and mortar store. Its only a matter of time before the online music store dies as well. Apple doesnt need to to try to hold on to the past. Let it open up. And pretend it was your idea.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000

Apple's iTunes play cant last forever. Eventually, the studios are going to realize they dont need a middle man to push their music, and you will be able to buy straight from the source. Online music stores are just the natural progression of the obsolete brick and mortar store. Its only a matter of time before the online music store dies as well. Apple doesnt need to to try to hold on to the past. Let it open up. And pretend it was your idea.

Apple can easily shut down this hack. Also, I don't see companies paying to license something they can do themselves.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    you can read more about it http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10..._jon_fairplay/. Seems it might actually help the big companies in some way by making all their proprietary store formats compatible.