The iMac is dead.

-@--@-
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The iMac is <a href="http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/01/02&pages=04&seq=20"; target="_blank">dead</a>

Is a new iMac is comming or is it new towers for everyone?

Hoping for new towers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    [quote]Originally posted by -@-:

<strong>The iMac is <a href="http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/01/02&pages=04&seq=20"; target="_blank">dead</a>

Is a new iMac is comming or is it new towers for everyone?

Hoping for new towers!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for this post. It does seem that the buzz for iMac has prematurely passed over us. It still is the most incredible piece of equipment in the mac lineup, especially the 17" model. I have the 15" one (early adopter syndrome) and love it and its superdrive. I still do not have that latter feature in either a home computer (mine are Cubes) or laptop, G3 Pismo and iBook500 Japanese. Keep putting off the PowerMac because of bulk and noise and can't find a good reason to dump the PowerBook.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Wrong.

They have just changed suppliers. Apple was using LG Electronics and THEY have ceased production. Hon Hai Precision Industry is now making the eMacs and iMacs.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Apple never used LG for the flat-panel iMac, they originally used Quanta but they have shifted much of the manufacturing to Hon Hai this was all done around April, long before the termination of manufacturing of the 15" Flat panel iMac,

Apple stopped producing it because they have MOUNTAINS of unsold 15" LCD iMacs, demand for the LCD iMac has been non-existant for months.

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Stagflation Steve ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Read about it here...<a href="http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5746"; target="_blank">MacWorld</a>
  • Reply 5 of 24
    LG Makes the CRT iMac and eMac not the flat-panel iMac, obviously the CRT iMac being such an utter and complete joke they aren't selling many anymore
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Stag (and anyone else out there.): Any ideas about what Apple might be planning? (I was actually planning on getting a flat-panel iMac after MWSF.) Still limping by on a woefully outdated PC....
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Woops, I didn't spot that. I assume then that if true it is for one of two reasons.

1. They expect to have a 19" screen available.

2. They are going to change the processor or motherboard and it won't work with the compact enclosure.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stagflation Steve:

<strong>the CRT iMac being such an utter and complete joke they aren't selling many anymore</strong><hr></blockquote>Heh, that doesn't say much for the new iMac then.

CRT iMacs account for 1/4 of all iMac sales, and the flat panel accounts for just 1/3. The eMac is king at 40%.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    This is fully rampant speculation...

The imac form factor may actually be dead. Think about it, the 17" iMac is already looking a little unbalanced, now they are going to put a 19" screen on that sucker... Probably not.

Why not take a studio display and mount the hardware behind it with a flip up optical drive like the Beosound?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by TKN:

<strong>Why not take a studio display and mount the hardware behind it with a flip up optical drive like the Beosound?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve said they had tried this config and there are all sorts of problems with rom drives working at high speed in a vertical direction.

Personaly, I would just love a 19" screen on that movable arm. It is just so wonderful to ba able to angle the screen exactly as you want it. Swing it around to show someone something etc etc. If sales are poor then sort out the speed issue, why has this machine been throttled back with a 100mhz bus and no L3 cache?. Apple is suffering because if a lack of GRUNT, there is nothing wrong with the G4 iMac. The 17" was the most fantastic upgrade, if anything is was niave not to realise that it would kill the 15" sales.

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 24
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>

Personaly, I would just love a 19" screen on that movable arm. It is just so wonderful to ba able to angle the screen exactly as you want it. Swing it around to show someone something etc etc. </strong><hr></blockquote>

But don't you think a 19" widescreen LCD would look a little weird on the current iMac base?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Agree, EmAn. It'd be quite a bit heavier as well.
  • Reply 13 of 24

<strong>LG Makes the CRT iMac and eMac not the flat-panel iMac, obviously the CRT iMac being such an utter and complete joke they aren't selling many anymore</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't LG Electronics a cheap-@$$ company? went i travelled to India a few months ago, i noticed it was a very big brand there and i thought it was an Indian company. am i wrong?
  • Reply 14 of 24

<strong>

Apple stopped producing it because they have MOUNTAINS of unsold 15" LCD iMacs, demand for the LCD iMac has been non-existant for months.

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Stagflation Steve ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Any evidence that sales for the LCD iMac has been "non-existant"? Bottom line: I have a very hard time believing that the LCD iMac will be discontinued. My guess is that we will see significant improvements to it next week. :cool:
  • Reply 15 of 24
    More evidence of the death of the FP iMac from <a href="http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/01/02&pages=04&seq=20"; target="_blank">this Digitimes article</a> saying that production of BOTH the 15" and the 17" model has stopped. (Snagged it from Macrumors.)
  • Reply 16 of 24
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If significant improvements are not also tied to price drops of at least 200-300 dollars across the line, then it won't make much impact. The people who were willing to pay inflated prices for an iMac now have them.

An expandable, upgradeble (video, CPU and internal drives) headless and cheap consumer computer has far more reach than an iMac. I'd rather see Apple chop 500USD of the price off an iMac and let me take care of my own display needs.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong><a href="http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/01/02&pages=04&seq=20"; target="_blank">this Digitimes article</a></strong><hr></blockquote>rofl.

Did you just totally miss the first post of this thread?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    As I posted elsethread, I'm taking this to mean two things: the current 17" LCD iMac will be available into the middle of next year for people who want an OS 9 bootable machine; and an all-new iMac is imminent.

The odds of "towers for everyone": 0%.

The odds that both the eMac and the iMac will dive down into a new price structure: good.

The odds that either will have a low enough price to suit Matsu: 0%.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>rofl.

Did you just totally miss the first post of this thread?</strong><hr></blockquote>Oh, sure I saw that. Of course.

I just wanted to, uh, repost it so, uh everyone else would see it in case, uh, they missed it.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>Oh, sure I saw that. Of course.

I just wanted to, uh, repost it so, uh everyone else would see it in case, uh, they missed it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL